• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Some equipment advice....

dx_caliber

Private
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2010
Good morning all,

With the Redding Group Buy going on at the moment, I plan to finally start purchasing some reloading equipment. I'm a long ways off from actually beginning the process but I figure I might as well go ahead and start purchasing equipment whenever I come across great deals.

I plan to purchase the Lee Breech Lock Kit first and foremost since I can get it for a decent price. From the Redding Group Buy I plan on purchasing the Match FL Die set for my .308. My question is, considering I am already going to be purchasing a kit, would you have any recommendations for particular pieces of equipment that I should go ahead and get now since there's a group buy going on? Perhaps I should go ahead and spring for a better scale/powder measure; possibly the case trimming lathe?

I've done a fair amount of reading on the required equipment (thanks to the sticky's in this forum) but still having not begun the process I'm unsure on what equipment will be most helpful for a newcomer. Any recommendations or advice on equipment is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Re: Some equipment advice....

I would rather just buy the RCBS Chargemaster and not go with the scale/powder route. Its much faster and one of the top valuable tools in the reloading equipment arsenal.

Also as far at the case trimming lath, you can do without that for a while until you save up to get a Giraud case trimmer.

You'll be cooking with gas then.

I'm in the same boat as you. I just started several weeks ago. I originally had planned on getting a Hornady lock n load kit. I figured I would eventually change everything out. I ordered a Redding Big Boss 2 press, regular redding dies, Redding slide bar primer system, funnel, trickler, universal decapper.

Separately bought the RCBS Chargemaster combo, Hornady lock n load conversion, Hornady case prep center (over kill but you can get the hand tools, they're rather cheap), case lube, primer flip tray, loading blocks, etc.

As I'm just starting to figure out reloading, it's the little things that add up the cost to reloading. Case gages, shelves, bins, little reaming tools, deburrs, chamfering tools, containers, $5 here, $10 there, $20 there, it adds up real quick.

I also bought a Thumler's tumbler stainless media kit from Cory @ STM(he's a hide sponser).
http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/stm-complete-package.html

RCBS Chargemaster, best price I found so far. Also $50 rebate
(till the end of this year) from RCBS with purchase over $300. So get this and something else say a RCBS collet bullet puller or stuck case remover.
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0004498923

I'm fortunate enough to be about 25 miles away from Grafs, and omg, it's like a fat kid in a candy store. I've been there twice, and I spent over $500 on accessories, 3 lbs of powder and 1k primer. Powder and primer was the cheap stuff. You'll figure it out soon enough as I am still trying to.

Here's a work in progress.
IMG_0633.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlxcupid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm in the same boat as you. I just started several weeks ago. I originally had planned on getting a Hornady lock n load kit. I figured I would eventually change everything out. I ordered a Redding Big Boss 2 press, regular redding dies, Redding slide bar primer system, funnel, trickler, universal decapper.

Separately bought the RCBS Chargemaster combo, Hornady lock n load conversion, Hornady case prep center (over kill but you can get the hand tools, they're rather cheap), case lube, primer flip tray, loading blocks, etc.

As I'm just starting to figure out reloading, it's the little things that add up the cost to reloading. Case gages, shelves, bins, little reaming tools, deburrs, chamfering tools, containers, $5 here, $10 there, $20 there, it adds up real quick.

I also bought a Thumler's tumbler stainless media kit from Cory @ STM(he's a hide sponser).
http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/stm-complete-package.html

RCBS Chargemaster, best price I found so far. Also $50 rebate
(till the end of this year) from RCBS with purchase over $300. So get this and something else say a RCBS collet bullet puller or stuck case remover.
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0004498923

I'm fortunate enough to be about 25 miles away from Grafs, and omg, it's like a fat kid in a candy store. I've been there twice, and I spent over $500 on accessories, 3 lbs of powder and 1k primer. Powder and primer was the cheap stuff. You'll figure it out soon enough as I am still trying to.

Here's a work in progress.
IMG_0633.jpg
</div></div>

Wow, thanks for the info! Since it was suggested earlier I've been reading up on the Chargemaster and it seems to be universally liked and coveted as a huge time-saver as well as for it's ease of use. The cheapest I was able to find thus far was for $320 though, the link is very much appreciated!

I think I'll get that and the redding dies first. Why did you choose the normal dies over the micrometer dies? I'm in that boat right now and I'm feeling that I'm probably too new/not skilled enough to even take advantage of the micrometer dies yet, so why waste money there? Any logic behind this or should I just spring for the good ones now? Another dilemma is whether or not to get a tumbler or ultra-sonic cleaner, but I'll figure it out once I get there.

I know this is something that will nickle & dime starting off, that's why I just want to gather equipment slowly and build a complete set over time. The press, dies, & chargemaster I think will be my first step. So far, are you happy with your purchases or are you feeling some of your money could have been spent on something else?

Once again, much appreciated!

I love micrometer dies and feel they're worth the $25ish premium. It's a good place to save money though if every dollar really counts.

The micrometer won't do anything a normal die can't as far as seating goes, it just gives you a visual reference for adjustments, which is a convenience if you load different bullets, or change seating depths often, it is by no means neccesity. I personally like a scale, powder measure and trickler, the Lee saftey scale is junk, got one free won't use it. Haven't used a chargemaster but from what I've read they're not precise without some kinda tuning, and they're not that terribly fast til then either, I may well be wrong, for $300 I'd talk a friend into it, and then check it out. Get some sort of trimmer, and chamfer and deburr tool, cases stretch and unchecked it can cause issues. The Lee cutter with case length gauge, shellholder drill adapter and a power screwdriver or drill will work just fine starting out and if you already have the power source you'll be in for around $20. I like a tumbler, I don't like waiting for brass to dry and I don't care about the thin coating of powder residue inside, nor do a believe they cause any significant hardening of brass. However if you want your brass clean, inside and out, and don't mind waiting while it dries, or think tumbling it will screw with your case life or neck tension then get an ultrasonic. Quality calipers, I prefer digital, and case comporators might be helpful too. And atleast two good manuals, you can crosscheck things that way, I like Lyman's in general, and have one from every bullet maker I load, not all still the newest that'd be real spendy but still relevent. Many of the powder Co's make data availible online as well.

Thanks for the helpful info Beef. I ordered a Chargemaster and since I'll only be loading for my .308 then it sounds like micrometer dies are just an expense that I don't need. I'll stick with regular redding dies. I was looking over different case prep stations and for the cost they don't seem to be worth it, especially since I'll only be reloading in 50-100rnd batches anyway. I think I'll go the route you suggested per case trimming and tumbling. Much appreciated!

I wanted to start off with regular dies so I can learn how to reload with regular dies. I suppose micrometer dies do provide a visual reference but I guess I'm more of a "feel" guy? It helps me learn better but maybe it's just me? I could end up like micrometer dies? IDK, like I said, I'm new too. If you're shooting with an AR platform, I'd go with a short base die. I've read everywhere that nobody uses one but when I made my first rounds, they wouldn't chamber until I bought a short base die. YMMV.

I really like the Thumler's Tumbler setup, it may be pricey at first but the media lasts forever, Lemishine is cheap, you use very little of it and readily available and so is dish soap. I tumble my 1x fired brass and it's sparkly clean in less than 2 hours. Dry time is kind of long but I plan on building one of those drier boxes like I had seen on a thread. Then again I don't plan on loading 1k rounds at a time, maybe a few hundred today, 50 tomorrow, or whatever mood I'm in.

Do invest in different loading manuals, I currently have the most current Hornady, Sierra and Lyman manual. I also read ABCs of Reloading twice. I also plan on taking a reloading class my local gun range is offering. May sound overkill for some but we are dealing with components that can kill and/or hurt the shit out of you. You can never be too safe I think. I'm the first one out of all my shooting buddies to dwell into reloading so at the moment I don't have a go-to person other than doing my own research and the fine people here on the Hide. Learning to reload would be much easier and safer if someone with more experience can walk me through it.

Try the Redding comp shell holder kit. You get 5 shell holders .002" different in thickness for fine tuning your fl die without moving the die.

I have been reloading for about 20 years. I started out with just the basics and over the years upgraded equipment. I load quite a bit for multiple calibers. You don't need the best and biggest to do the job, you just need what works for you, and the job your doing. That said, I bought a RCBS chargemaster last year and wish I got one years ago. I had been using a old hornady ballance scale that worked, but was slow. The chargemaster is as fast as I need it to be and acurate. I don't have a prep center because the hand tools I use for this works for me at this time in the amount of prep I perform.

Just my 2cents, but while your just now starting out and you plan on reloading for years. Go ahead and buy the good stuff now and alittle at a time. Don't waste money buying cheap now and then a year later when your really into reloading your wanting the expensive things. Expensive is NOT a necessity to reload, but it is nice. So if you have the money to buy it now, don't waste money on the cheap things, then buy expensive a year or two down the road. For me the chargemaster was expensive but worth every penny. But if I was just loading for one caliber Im not sure I would splurge for a chargemaster and a prep center.
Just remember you don't have to have everything all at once.

I have rattled on long enough, Good luck and enjoy reloading.

Sound advice country, much appreciated. I've decided to skip out on a prep center since it's surely overkill for my needs (although so far, still happy I sprang for the chargemaster....thanks for reaffirming my decision!).

Heeding your guys advice I've put together (what I think at least) a complete kit of what I will need to get started on this endeavor....to include:

Press
Powder Measure (Chargemaster)
Dies
Case Lube (Imperial Wax)
Shellholder
Case Trimming Lathe
Primer Pocket Uniformer/Cleaner
Flash Hole Deburr
Deburring Tool
Calipers
Bullet Comparator
Case/Bump Gauge
Chamber Length Gauge
Hand Held Primer
Tumbler
Funnel
Loading Blocks
Ammo Cases

Is there any other necessary piece of equipment I may have glossed over? Once again guys, thanks!

DX, your list looks good. Nothing popes in my head at this time that your missing! Im sure you will find something as soon as you start, I always do!

Just have fun & enjoy it. Just take your time & dont get in a hurry! Its a lot of fun but can be dangerous if done wrong. Reloading is my time away from work & a time to relax & enjoy myself.

Country, I'm jealous! Nice set up you have there.....I'm sure once everything gets here and put together I'll find something I've forgotten. Oh well....live and learn!

Right now I'm trying to decide between either the Redding Boss press or the Lee Challenger. I see you have a Lee, do you like/recommend it?

Thanks again!

Dx, that is a lee press got to reload for a 408 cheytac. Its lee classic cast press. Its a very strong & smooth press. Its well worth $100, I would recommend it. I also have a lyman T-mag 2 turret press I use most of the time, I also like it as well. The RCBS rock crusher is also a very good press. I havnt used a redding press but im sure it would be a nice press! Redding makes great stuff.
One thing you did forget & comes in handy is a bullet puller! Pick yourself one one, you will need it.

Hope this helps

Good catch country, thanks....it has been added to the list!

O dx, dont forget to pick up a 3ring binder & some paper to keep up with your test loads & what have you. Write everything down. What works & what doesnt.

Logs/data books were going to be my first purchase following components once I get everything I need....thanks for the heads up!

you can look at hornady's headspace gauge kit with body and then buy seperate bullet comparators to use beings the body is the same for both.

I also don't use a flash hole deburring tool

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dx_caliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Logs/data books were going to be my first purchase following components once I get everything I need....thanks for the heads up! </div></div>

On Target software is a great way to track your results. You can get the earlier version for free here: On Target Software

Country's advice about the 3 ring binder is great as I have targets everywhere and record everything.

Lol... Yea it took me awhile to realize my memory isnt as good as it use to be! A binder really helps to stay organized. With a 3 ring binder i can take pages in & out as needed & is much neater!

Sounds good, I was just going to go with a college ruled notebook, but the binder sounds like the better deal. I'll be sure to check out that software as well, thanks!