• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Some information from the experts...

Mosley

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2012
Pennsylvania
I know it isn't a "bolt action" but there isn't a "Single Shot" section I could find.
I have an H&R 30-30 "Truck Gun" project and am stuck on the barrel length.

I want to do 18" but have been told that the 30-30 could perform pretty well out too 100-150 yards with a 16.25" and still take deer sized game.
Anyone have some input? Ideas? I will be reloading for it shortly after I get the gun finished but not immediately.

All is appreciated!
Rick

if you have the rifle you could chrono it at 18" and see what you think, but in my personal experience (out of a lever action, not a single shot) I don't think you are going to hurt the 30-30 cartridge at 100-150 yards by going down 1.75" of barrel. I just don't think its far enough to matter, certainly not for deer sized game. I mean, figure you push something like a 150gr bullet at 2200fps-is, youll lose what, 300 or 400 fps at 200 yards with a really round nosed bullet?

I think you'd be fine with the shorter barrel. but like I said, if you have it, see where you are at for velocity at current length and cut as desired from there. but if 18" fits fine in the truck, why not keep it there?

I do not have the barrel yet, just sort of planning ahead for my project and want to make sure I don't mess up.
I am considering on digging up some Contender Loads and running those through it. I know that those barrels are 14" and if people use those to kill game like deer, I don't see why the 2" extra wouldn't help those loads out.