• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Some M40 Light

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    image.jpg

Second five with minus 1/4 MOA…..

image.jpg

Next let’s try this 1/2 MOA aim point if my crosshairs don’t cover it…..

image.jpg

Actually it’s a .2 mil diamond. I plan on doing reticle holds for a bunch to prove out the reticle.

Reticle covered my aim point so I quartered the square best I could…..

image.jpg

I think now do a couple hold unders/hold overs and see how the Leupy mil dot tracks……

See if they will be in the gray center line…bottom to top using first point of aim as hold.

image.jpg

Reactions: camocorvette
    image.jpg

I’ll dial down to 4.5X and see if I can figure to hit at +6 and +7 mil.

Reactions: canman
    Sorry if this deviates off topic but I was wondering what level of accuracy was expected from the M40?

Minute of Man at 600 yards.

I think our current gun club construct of accuracy is like putting our current social mores on the past.

I know they spoke of "minute of angle" and guess they probably figured "Hey this will hold 1 MOA".

but,

They were concerned with counting coup.

They had a system by which you obtained a COM zero at a distance than held balls or head as needed.

They wanted a hit on target - anywhere.

Standard service rifles are accepted at 4MOA. The Armalite rifles do much better.

I bet they were pretty happy with a rifle that held under 2 MOA for the times and the conditions.

More modern times an M40A1 had to shoot 3/4 MOA at 300 yards, in a fixture.

Thing is there are tasks the sniper does that are more important than the actual shot. All the shit needed to get to the shot and than survive after kind of make the shot secondary.

If you can get to the point of taking the shot and you have the skills to survive after taking the shot, you could be a sloppy 4 MOA shooter and probably be a great sniper.

My assumptions are based on urban, european, jungle type war scenarios. Our recent experience of wanting prisms to shoot the guy by the campfire on the next ridge are not the norm and I think will have too great an impact on the thinking for whats to come.

This was my own opinion and way outside my knowledge base - its what I think though and I am happy to be corrected.