• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Some people just don't get it.....

patriotoutlaw

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2009
Missouri
Just got off the phone with alifelong friend. We share alot of interests, but mainly guns/bows/hunting and fishing. Somehow,though it appears that either I've lost my mind of he just don't get it. I was sharing the fact that I have a Savage 110 in 7mmMag. (for a build) and a Ruger M77 in .338Win Mag. on the way. I got a helluva deal on both rifles,as usual. He asks, "why do you want more guns?..You've already got well over 100...what are you gonna do with all them guns?" Well, the way I see it, my vices are few. I don't smoke, drink or do drugs. I don't stop in quick shops spending my $ on drinks, etc... I am basically a hermit and spending my $ on firearms and firearm related accys. is what I Love to do, after the bills are paid every month. So am I crazy, as he suggested or does he just not "get it".

Re: Some people just don't get it.....

We all have different theories on guns and what's needed.

I'm into having a few very nice rifles with very nice optics, the thought of having a hundred guns doesn't interest me in the least if they are Savages and Rugers. There's just not enough time in my life to shoot them all and I see no need to have guns that never leave the safe. I'd take 5 or so Surgeons with Hensoldts any day over 100 others.

So, in short, we're all crazy.

When I tell people that I'm into guns they act like I'm the one who is crazy. Everyone has a hobby, and mine is firearms. I have been into guns since I was old enough to go to the local PAL range with my dad. I've been hooked ever since. I'll be a shooter until I can't shoot no more. To answer your question......no. I don't think you are crazy.

Guns are actually a pretty good investment I think. You can have fun with them while you've got em, and they don't lose a whole lot of value so you can always sell them later and make your money back. it's no 401k, but a 401k doesn't sling hot lead at several thousand feet per second does it?

No, you are not crazy. JasonK has his idea of what he wants, you have yours, and I have mine.
I also don't have many vices, I don't play golf like alot of my friends, and instead of paying $2k or MORE for a new set of golf clubs, or well over $20k for a new bass boat like some of my freinds, i choose to spend my money on firearms and shooting.

They are no less crazy than you, however, if they want to go get a new bass boat. But when people talk about other people being "crazy" to spend money on something, the old saying "People in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks" comes to mind.

Now on the other hand, I sure hope you never are involved in anything that would bring media attention to your household. I have a feeling that you would not be portrayed as a hobbiest spending his money on what he wants, but would be labled a "gun nut" as they showed pictures of the guns being hauled out of your house.

To each his own, and I fully support your right to do what YOU want with YOUR money and time and definitely don't think it's crazy.
smile.gif

madd0c

Collecting firearms is legal.
People do it different ways.
The media should be locked up.

Hobbies always interfere with work

The problem is when hobbies interfere with other hobbies!
smile.gif

Im with Jason on this. I would rather have 1 custom built surgeon topped with quality glass over 100 rugers! (notice the lower case r in ruger) old man ruger can get out of his grave and kiss my fucking ass!

I agree with the guy that posted about the investment aspect of guns. People are flocking to gold out of fear about a total collapse, why not guns. I get to enjoy using my investment every time I go to the range, and at the same time have assets that are truly are a hedge against inflation. Plus in the extremely remote circumstances that there is a total collapse of the monetary system, guns trump gold every time.

Different strokes for different folks. Nothing wrong with that. Some people like to have a lot of guns, some people like to have a couple of high quality custom pieces. I am aiming for the latter.

PatriotOutlaw...you are not crazy. We all have our vices and gun guys like guns. Some like a few great ones. Others collect anything in sight. I will state..I am not a Ruger person, but for personal reasons...I don't like any thing they make in a long gun besides the 10/22. However....they are fine firearms. Savage makes some great guns and maybe the best bang for the buck going right now. I just added 3 to the safe in the past month myself. Now I am a Desert Tactical whore no doubt. And after getting my first POF 308...I may become a POF whore too. So enjoy what ever you like shouldering.

As long as the family bills are covered....Have fun!

I realize there aren't alot of Ruger fans on this site, which is fine. I know that an M77 isn't known for its accuracy, unless it is a Varmint Model. The Mini-14 ins't either, but it is short and handy and shoots minute of critter/running all day long @ 200yds. out here on the farm. As far as their handguns go, they are great IMO, for the $. Savage has probably the most accurate rifle out of the box for the $, being made these days. I don't want to get in a pissin match over brand names. I have a fondness for Rugers since I got my 1st 10-22 @ 7yrs. old.And they have their place in the woods, for sure. Savages are the next best thing to build on if a Rem. 700 isn't at hand. And when I can buy a NIB rifle for 1/2 the price of Remmy action????I don't have $3000 scopes on any of my rifles. I do have a couple that cost 1/2 that on 2 of my builds (Rem 700 actions) and with my eyes thats good enough for me. Luepold, Nikon, Bushnell, Burris, Vortex and SS's top the remainder that are sporting optics on top. I own some guns that have beautiful wood that I just Love to look at alot and shoot rarely. I have some that I shoot the hell out of. I have a fondness for the Savage Model 99 lever action, so I own several old ones. I Love Ar's, so I have several of those. I currently have 3 rifles being built by a gunsmith buddy of mine. Two Savage L/A's and one Rem S/A. Those 3 rifles, when complete will shoot with anything out there for 1/3 the $. I have a shooting range right outside the door of my shop so I shoot as much as I can keep reloaded ammo for. There are different firearms for different applications and I LOVE some of ALL OF 'EM. Kind of like that saying about a certain part of a woman. "There ain't no bad, some is just better than others." And I'll take all I can get, crazy or not.

I really can't imagine the utility of having so many firearms. I'm not begrudging someone else for having, just don't imagine I'd really learn to shoot one or two well with 100 of them to pay attention to.

I will probably top out at 12 to 15 whenever the money becomes less of a concern.

Of course, they've all got to be quality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im with Jason on this. I would rather have 1 custom built surgeon topped with quality glass over 100 rugers! (notice the lower case r in ruger) old man ruger can get out of his grave and kiss my fucking ass! </div></div>

I don't know who's quote this is but it goes like this:

"There may be a time when money can't get you a gun, but there will never be a time when a gun can't get you money." or something to that effect. 100 guns sounds good to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We all have different theories on guns and what's needed.

I'm into having a few very nice rifles with very nice optics, the thought of having a hundred guns doesn't interest me in the least if they are Savages and Rugers. There's just not enough time in my life to shoot them all and I see no need to have guns that never leave the safe. I'd take 5 or so Surgeons with Hensoldts any day over 100 others.

So, in short, we're all crazy. </div></div>

Jason's summed up my newer theory on guns. I only focus on a couple that I find most practical and fun to shoot. I was piling up a bunch of cheap guns at one point and realized I only took the same few to the range. I kept the pile of guns in case I ever need to arm my entire block, but for the most part all my disposable income gets poured in to a few of my favorites.

My two current faves:
IMG_5052-crop-cc.jpg

I think the gunwriter, John Taffin summed it up nicely: "to those that understand, no explanation is necessary; to those that do not, no explanation will suffice."

He who dies with the most toys, wins.

More than I need, not as many as I want.

"why do you need all those guns"

Why do you need all of those shoes, you can only wear one pair at time!

Add an AK when you can. And a 1911. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it so don't let people try to change your thinking. It ONCE was something all American men did, if they wanted to eat.

It is not an obsession. Obsession is lining up 20 of these little men and then trying to knock all off of the log at 100 yards with my CZ452 .22LR

11qlppj.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: midgetorama</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im with Jason on this. I would rather have 1 custom built surgeon topped with quality glass over 100 rugers! (notice the lower case r in ruger) old man ruger can get out of his grave and kiss my fucking ass! </div></div>

I don't know who's quote this is but it goes like this:

"There may be a time when money can't get you a gun, but there will never be a time when a gun can't get you money." or something to that effect. 100 guns sounds good to me. </div></div>

I agree, but I wasnt talking about guns, I was talking about rugers, POS waste of steel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: srv656s</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We all have different theories on guns and what's needed.

Jason's summed up my newer theory on guns. I only focus on a couple that I find most practical and fun to shoot. I was piling up a bunch of cheap guns at one point and realized I only took the same few to the range. I kept the pile of guns in case I ever need to arm my entire block, but for the most part all my disposable income gets poured in to a few of my favorites.

My two current faves:
IMG_5052-crop-cc.jpg
</div></div>
Dude... That picture's a little un-nerving! Look at that Shit-eatin' grin!!!
grin.gif

Hey... I'm just messin with ya... Those are 2 good choices.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oregon542</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As long as the family bills are covered....Have fun! </div></div>

Exactly!

"Guns" include handguns, rifles and shotguns and if you are into shooting, you generally have a few of all flavors, more of some.

I once knew a guy that was going out to buy his 48th Smith & Wesson pistol. I asked him "why so many of the same thing". He said he started off with a few and has been buying one every year to treat himself on his birthday. More power to him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We all have different theories on guns and what's needed.

^^^^^^^
what he said.

So, in short, we're all crazy.</div></div>

I'm with Jason on this one also. I used to have the rush to like every new guns I see, and have to have them, but now a day just to narrow it down to what I will really shoot. And the one that I shoot are the ones that are worthy to shoot with good quality details.

My problem is liking so many types of guns and hunting heavily also. I skeet shoot, like long range/nice optics, have a 1911 interest, have a Ruger .22 pistol interest, have a Ruger single action interest and kids that love to shoot and hunt. That adds up to what some folks fully understand and some think is crazy. In all of those interests I gravitate towards good stuff and then you add in the mini reloading factory to feed it all and you have bitter, conservative Christian gun nut clinging to his guns!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im with Jason on this. I would rather have 1 custom built surgeon topped with quality glass over 100 rugers! (notice the lower case r in ruger) old man ruger can get out of his grave and kiss my fucking ass! </div></div>

I've seen many a Ruger boltrifle ruffle the feathers of the Safe Queen Gang and shoot circles around same,much to their chagrin. These are the same folks who believe in UFO's,barrel break-in,Hubble-esque optics and think practice can be purchased.

Always fun to hand them their ass and make it look easy,if only because it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FreshKills</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im with Jason on this. I would rather have 1 custom built surgeon topped with quality glass over 100 rugers! (notice the lower case r in ruger) old man ruger can get out of his grave and kiss my fucking ass! </div></div>

I've seen many a Ruger boltrifle ruffle the feathers of the Safe Queen Gang and shoot circles around same,much to their chagrin. These are the same folks who believe in UFO's,barrel break-in,Hubble-esque optics and think practice can be purchased.

Always fun to hand them their ass and make it look easy,if only because it is. </div></div>

Tell you what, let me know when you are going to be in Kali, I can set up a 1K shoot, bring those shooters and rugers that they shoot so well, Ill go head to head with any of them any time of the week. Fuck ruger as a company! and Fuck old man ruger, he can turn in his grave for all I care. That POS company should be boycotted by every gun lover and 2A supporter!

hey, if you shoot for competitions and hunting, you need a few different guns.
when your bills are payed , and if thats what makes you happy go for it.
i mean others buy porsches or planes or whores, you buy gun

when shtf youll have to arm all your friends that were anti gun before or didnt care, they will be really happy you were so wise to collect some more than you can use alone.

especially ammo seems a good investment to me , i have yet to see ammoprices decline. i think that will never happen.

still ,i guess, guns are some kind of addiction to me , i allways see something else i want to have, after i just got one piece new.
the best part of it is probably the anticipaption, and thinking about what would be even better for the next gun.

that beeing sayed i am pretty new to the game, bought my first gun a year ago and now have 3
still i had no problem selling one gun again. i took it hardy to the range , it was a k98k mauser, i found it a bit a waste of ammo as i would not hit well with it , compared to a scoped gun

i sold it off, to a friend that didnt have a single gun before.

after all id like to have a couple of good guns i would thrust my life on, and that i can shoot.

i will probably end up with a collection something like this

a good 1911 double stack for target shooting and ipsc , a glock ,a revolver, a nice automatic shotgun , one or 2 long range/tactical rifles, maybe one for hunting , maybe a benchrest gun, an AR and an AUG, and an .22 plinker

well, who knows, i am only 1 year a gun owner and could see use for 11 guns already , maybe in ten yeras i have use for 110 guns

yeah I pause and stare at that badger everytime I come across your sigline!

Hey USMCj, why the hard-on for Ruger. Especially Bill. Is there something about the man or company that I am unaware of? Do tell.

Prior to Ruger making an AR15 type rifle, Bill Ruger supported the 94 gun ban to help boost his sales of the mini14 along with some comments about high cap mags left a bad taste.

I was going to "briefly" post on this hobby and how many guns you need, but it turned into 6 pages in Word.

I think we are all a bit diffrent than the norm lol, I do agree with everyone on here. I have a decent amount of guns but only shoot a few favorites, but keep the rest in case I need to arm my extended family if that day comes. I do get real tired of people always frowning on me spending money on guns. When I spend money on my car no one seems to care but if I say I bought a new gun the comments always come. The best is my boss who spends thousands a month so his kid can play hockey and do camps and try outs. I pointed this out to him the other day because I was sick of it. I am single with two boys, and for some reason not having a wife allows me to buy things that others are jealous of I guess because their wives dont let them indulge on toys I dont know but it gets old and very frustrating.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patriotoutlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey USMCj, why the hard-on for Ruger. Especially Bill. Is there something about the man or company that I am unaware of? Do tell. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aside from his million dollar donation to the NRA Museum, William B. Ruger, Senior, should be remembered as the man who embraced the investment casting process very early on, and whose Pine Tree is one of the most respected investment casting enterprises in the world, the man who gave us the Mini-14, the 10/22 and the first American-made production firearm chambered in 7.62 X 39mm… and the man who told NBC News' Tom Brokaw that:

"No honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun."
"I never meant for simple civilians to have my 20 or 30 round magazines or my folding stock."
"I see nothing wrong with waiting periods." </div></div>

http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/papabill.html

Need more reasons? read the above link about the kind of man bill ruger was. Like I said, fuck bill ruger, fuck ruger arms co. and fuck every POS product they make. I would die before owning anything that prick made.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patriotoutlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got off the phone with alifelong friend. We share alot of interests, but mainly guns/bows/hunting and fishing. Somehow,though it appears that either I've lost my mind of he just don't get it. I was sharing the fact that I have a Savage 110 in 7mmMag. (for a build) and a Ruger M77 in .338Win Mag. on the way. I got a helluva deal on both rifles,as usual. He asks, "why do you want more guns?..You've already got well over 100...what are you gonna do with all them guns?" Well, the way I see it, my vices are few. I don't smoke, drink or do drugs. I don't stop in quick shops spending my $ on drinks, etc... I am basically a hermit and spending my $ on firearms and firearm related accys. is what I Love to do, after the bills are paid every month. So am I crazy, as he suggested or does he just not "get it".</div></div>

He just don't get it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Add an AK when you can. And a 1911. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it so don't let people try to change your thinking. It ONCE was something all American men did, if they wanted to eat.

It is not an obsession. Obsession is lining up 20 of these little men and then trying to knock all off of the log at 100 yards with my CZ452 .22LR

11qlppj.jpg

</div></div>

Yeah, i know what you mean...low crawling man is tough...

Everyone has their own hobby and they all cost Money.I had a guy tell me I was crazy for owning a $900 custom pool cue. I said well you are crazy for having a $2000 stereo system in your car..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FreshKills</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Always fun to hand them their ass and make it look easy,if only because it is. </div></div>

Tell you what, let me know when you are going to be in Kali, I can set up a 1K shoot, bring those shooters and rugers that they shoot so well, Ill go head to head with any of them any time of the week. Fuck ruger as a company! and Fuck old man ruger, he can turn in his grave for all I care. That POS company should be boycotted by every gun lover and 2A supporter! </div></div>

popcorn-gazelle.gif

USMCj. I appreciate your answer on this. I remember when all this crap was going on, however was unaware as to the extent of Bill Ruger's personal involvement. I wrote a letter to Ruger back then and got an answer, stating that all SAAMI members were involved, as your article states. I felt pretty defeated when I realized that virtually every major firearm/ammo manufacturer in America belongs to that organization. Personally, I'm all about freedom, as my "arsenal" would suggest. Hell, as far as I'm concerned, everyone who can legally own a firearm should be allowed to own WHATEVER they want, suppressed, full auto, etc...w/o a tax stamp and hoop jumping. Damn, Bill...selling his soul for self preservation. As for me, I'm going down fightin.
Thanks again for the answer.

I get it guys... guns are my hobby. I work on other peoples guns and use the money and experience from that to buy more guns. I have yet to sell a gun for less than I paid for it. I research and try out several guns before I buy to ensure I get exactly what I want. And I know if times ever get tough (really, really tough) for me or my family, I will be able to sell a gun (or guns if the situation dictates) and get my money back out of them, possibly more! They are my favorite investment!

I would say depends on whether your other needs are being met. Are you saving enough for retirement or are you going to be one of those people who will try to live off the rest of us (through big government)?

If you got the bills paid and your retirement funds on track (don't count on living off of Social Security or pensions), then having 100+ guns is just a hobby. If you are going to be a beggar in your old age, then yes, you are crazy. Having 100+ guns would be like those people with garages full of junk which they rarely use and no money in the bank.

TO: USMCj - Amen, Brother! I had the same conversation regarding bill ruger last week with a "firearms enthusiast" acquaintance. I told him the same thing - "F#@K ruger - he sold us out to line his own pockets".

A good friend asked me once why I had the firearms I did, and especially, why I had one of those "menacing black rifles". He considered himself a "gun guy" because he had a WWI 1911 his father had given him and a Marlin .22 Mag.

My response to him was "why do you have a stable of Corvettes, and they all go over 70 mph". (FYI, I am a "car guy" - I used to race a Corvette in SCCA road racing) His response was "they're fun to drive", which I replied, because it was a "hoot to shoot".

I made an analogy he could rationalize - he got the point.

ktdLS7

I sway more the direction of owning few that pose more of a purpose, but if you wish to own a few hundred then go for it. I see nothing wrong with it. When I was a patrol deputy a guy here in town passed away, natural causes, his girlfriend said we may want to have a look at his gun collection since it was so big. We had no idea. There were close to 2500 firearms, totaling over $2 million. It was a gun nuts dream. The bulk was lots of cheap numbers like Nagants, Enfields,$200 gun show specials, but there were some nice ones. Desert Eagles, 1911, S&W's, a fist full of ARs and AKs, some M1 Garands, there was an M82 Barrett and a Finnish anti-tank cannon with a live round. I think 3 or 4 of the AKs were full auto, and had the paperwork. ATF had to step in, and he had no family to leave it to. He had a shed built that had more square feet than his house, barred windows, alarms..ect It was all auctioned off, and my buddy picked up a sporterized 1903 for $250. It only took 4 auctions to get it all.

My personal take on the matter is; buy what you can afford to be proficient with. I would rather put 10,000 rounds through 2 firearms than 100 rounds through 100 firearms.

I personally have a Glock and a custom rifle with a good optic. I will shoot both until my fingers bleed!
smile.gif

but im crazy too!

Some people misunderstood what I said above, I said I would rather own 1 top end custom rifle than 100 rugers. I never said anything about 100 guns. I was refering to rugers only. Im all for owning as many as you can afford. Hell if my finances allow, Ill own 500! I just refuse to own a single ruger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1sikpupi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FreshKills</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Tell you what, let me know when you are going to be in Kali, I can set up a 1K shoot, bring those shooters and rugers that they shoot so well, Ill go head to head with any of them any time of the week. Fuck ruger as a company! and Fuck old man ruger, he can turn in his grave for all I care. That POS company should be boycotted by every gun lover and 2A supporter! </div></div>

popcorn-gazelle.gif

</div></div>
+1 I think I'll join you.
costanzaPopcorn.gif