• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Some questions about the 6.8SPC on a bolt gun

summitsitter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2008
Crowville, Louisiana
I got a .277 barrel coming. Thinking I'm gonna try and make a 6.8spc out of it. My question is that the barrel is 1/10 twist. Will this be okay as from what I'm ready you need a 1/11(at least on the AR's). I'd like to shoot the 95gr barnes or the 100gr Accurbonds out of it. Also like to cut it to 18". Will all of this work out. Kind of a truck/kids gun. Also what's the deal with the different 6.8spc chambers. Is this something I need to be concerned about?

Re: Some questions about the 6.8SPC on a bolt gun

Get the chamber cut as either the spcII or the 6.8x43 DMR, you will be fine.

With either of these chambers, you should be able to fire the "combat loads" from SSA, which will give you a substantial boost in velocity and energy.

Remington originally built them with 1-10" twist barrels, which is really faster than required for the likely bullet weights for the 6.8.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the chamber cut as either the spcII or the 6.8x43 DMR, you will be fine.

With either of these chambers, you should be able to fire the "combat loads" from SSA, which will give you a substantial boost in velocity and energy.

Remington originally built them with 1-10" twist barrels, which is really faster than required for the likely bullet weights for the 6.8. </div></div>

What the difference in the SPCII and the SPC I. I plan on reloading. Is there something special about the SSA ammo?

The best analogy for the spcI vs spcII is a .223 chamber vs a 5.56 chamber.

SSA specializes in 6.8 ammo, the "combat loads" would be the equivalent of 5.56 compared to the .223. Higher pressures, higher velocities, more energy. The Spc II chamber has a longer throat/leade to reduce the pressure spike.
http://www.frfrogspad.com/68spc.htm

If you do build a 6.8 SPC, please give us a range report.......thinking of building one myself.

Some things you should know about the 6.8 spc and bolt guns.

First, they have a proprietary bolt face. No one offers it. You will need to have a smaller bolt faced bolt opened up for it.

Second, they have proprietary bottom metal and follower. It is completely different than a 223 or a 308. They would have to be made unless you had original Rem 700 6.8 bottom metal.

If you really have to have a 6.8 SPC bolt gun, to do it right, you need to start off with a Remington 700 that was originally chambered from Remington in 6.8 SPC and then have your work done to it.

I learned all this via another member here as I'm working through a 338 Spectre build. The 338 Spectre uses a 6.8 SPC bolt face. I'm on the search for a beat up Rem 700 6.8 donor rifle. But again. I'm limited to a complete rifle with bottom metal and the whole nine yards. Oh, and a reamer.

So, if had a 277 blank and wanted a truck gun, I would build a 270x47 using a 6.5x47 as the parent case, or a 270-08 based off the 308 case or a 270 BR by necking up some 6 BR brass. But thats just me and my wild hair for crazy cases.

I'm not sure I buy that completely.

I do concur that you will need to buy a .223 bolt face and have it opened up or find a 6.8 rifle (unlikely).

Mikes Guns, Sales and Service in Texas has built several bolt action 6.8's. They used AI .308 mags without modification.

You may end up with putting a different extractor in the bolt face, I wuld recommend an m16 style instead of the Sako, but both would work.

Im running a 1-11 twist barrel in my 6.8 and its a SPC II chamber and a 4 grove barrel. The main issue that was with the 6.8 SPC was the pressure issue. now its all solved and good to go.

Yes, AI mags have been made to use many cases they are not designed for. They have taken 6BR in 308 mags, 6BR in 223 mags, 7WSM, 6.5-284, and 30-06 in 300WM mags, and 378Weatherby class and RUM class cases in the 338 Mags. And there are many others.

I won't say that one can't be modified (or not modified as fdkay says) to house and feed the 6.8 SPC. I haven't tried it. But inevitably it <span style="font-style: italic">should</span> have to be modified, at least the feed lips as the 6.8 SPC has a smaller case diameter than the 308. And then there is always the reliability factor when modifying an original design. Even if they are not modified, you are still facing a reliability issues as that case was not the intended round that the mag was designed for. I know there are several people on these forums that got a 6BR to feed in a AI mag without modifying it. But I could not. Placed forward or aft, it would jam if not cycled very hard and fast.

But, IMHO, to do it right, you really need 6.8 SPC bottom metal. And the only place I've ever seen it is on a factory chambered 6.8 SPC. By going that route, you also have the correct BF to start off with. You save the money you will spend to have a custom extractor installed and the BF opened up by just buying the right donor from the start. Plus they have the bottom metal. By using the correctly designed and included bottom metal you are also saving the 300-350 bucks you'd spend on custom bottom metal. Plus if you like HS Precision stocks, it comes with one of those too.

For arguments sake, sure you can modify an AI mag (or may be able to use one unmodified). You can probably even buy one of those bottom metals that will take an AR style mag and use an AR 15, 6.8 SPC mag. BUT, at the end of the day, no one makes a correct 6.8SPC bottom metal for the Remington 700 except for Remington.

Buying a 6.8 SPC 700 is not "unlikely." There are 3 of them on GB as I type this, ranging in price from 555 and up. You will have a really hard time finding any other HS Precision stocked, fluted barrel, Rem 700 for under 600. There was also one that sat around in the classifieds here for a while and only sold yesterday.

Put a "WTB" ad up. You'll be surprised. While not as common as most calibers, they are out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the chamber cut as either the spcII or the 6.8x43 DMR, you will be fine.

Remington originally built them with 1-10" twist barrels, which is really faster than required for the likely bullet weights for the 6.8. </div></div>

+1
The twist is important but more so to shoot the lighter MUCH faster 85-90gr loads.

That twist will work good down to 95gr. So shoot the 95gr Barnes for hogs and BIG deer and 100gr Accubonds for regular deer. Shoot 90gr Speer TNT's & 110gr Hornady VMAX for plinking. Only because they are cheap! Your best performer is the TSX but also the most expensive. The Accubonds are #2. Stay at 95gr to 100gr to keep your velocity high. Heavier = less velocity = closer to spc performance = less stellar hunting round.

However! The chamber being reamed for the spcII or the DMR chamber is a must to reach the potential of the 6.8spc & (II). This chamber relieves a lot of pressure which equals you can use hot loads which reach the 2900 fps range. That turns the 6.8 into a true killing machine inside 300yards.

If you want it short go to 16". You will use up all the powder anyway in 16" and not gain any fps past 16". It was designed for the M4 this way. Same applies to the bolt gun.

So if you cannot send it to ARperformance or any gunsmith who does for a fact ream the spcII chamber or the DMR chamber I would build a different rifle.

I love my 6.8's! For their intended purpose inside 300yds.