• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Some questions about the history of my new 40x

JRucker2004

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2010
Oregon
I just received a remington 40x rimfire barreled action from the CMP. I plan on building it as a training rifle so I can practice dialing, holdover, etc with 22lr. I imagine it'll also be a good rifle to wreak havoc on the wildlife with.
grin.gif

There are a few things about it that have me scratching my head, however. All of the pictures of these rifles I've seen have "22 LONG RIFLE" stamped on the left side of the receiver. On the surplus rifles, "US" is stamped on either the right or left side of the receiver.

Manufacture date looks to be Feb 1967

The rifle looks like it's seen very little use, and overall is in quite good shape. There is a little bit of surface rust in a few areas, and on top of the receiver steel wool was used to remove some of it.

The idea of it being a commercial rifle used to fill the contract did come to mind, or perhaps a commercial rifle used to replace a rifle that was destroyed somehow maybe, but I don't know.
Either way, that doesn't really explain the lack of the "22 LONG RIFLE" stamp on the receiver. All of the pictures of 40x rimfire rifles I've seen, even the commercial ones, have that stamp. Today, the ATF requires manufacturers to stamp the caliber on the barrel or receiver. I don't know if that was the case in 1967, but it's interesting nonetheless.

It's parkerized, as opposed to blued as most of them were supposedly delivered. Being refinished was my first thought, but I just can't see any signs of mechanical wear. All of the edges are crisp, all of the flat surfaces are flat. The crown looks like a factory crown from that era. The filled white letters look like they were done quite a while ago. does anyone know if Remington did that, or is that something the military did?
The more I look at it, the more it looks like a factory finish.

The guys at rimfire central has helped provide a little insight, but a friend suggested I should ask here.

Here are a few pictures.

As you can see, the only marks on the rifle are the inspection marks, serial number, model number, and Remington's logo. No caliber anywhere. That's the part that really has me perplexed.

The logo, model, and serial numbers are filled white.

IMG_0045small.JPG

IMG_0046small.JPG

You can see the shiny bit at the top of the front of the receiver where they took steel wool to it to remove some surface rust. A little bit of surface rust can still be seen in the above pictures, on the recoil lug, for example. Overall it's in quite good shape for a 40+ year old rifle, I'd say.

IMG_0047small.JPG

The orange spots here are actually grease or gunk or something, not rust. A bit of solvent, and it was wiped out easily. You can see how little wear there is on the locking lugs. I'd be surprised if this rifle has seen more than a couple hundred rounds, if that much.

IMG_0048small.JPG

Again, no markings on the right side of the rifle, apart from some inspection stamps on the barrel.

IMG_0049small.JPG

IMG_0050small.JPG

Re: Some questions about the history of my new 40x

That is very odd that there is no caliber stamp anywhere on the rifle. And I don't have any answer as to why that is but I do want to say that it appears that you have a very fine rifle and that it seems to have a ton of life left in it. I can't wait till you get her all together and let us know how she shoots.

Best of luck,
-Dylan

Oh you know what that might be an aftermarket barrel made to look stock. I don't know if all 40x came with the front sight base or not but all of them that i've seen here on the 'Hide have had the front sight base on them. If that's the case then the caliber is most likely stamped on the part of the barrel that rests up against the recoil lug? I'm not sure but this is the only thing I can think of so far...

Hope this helps,
-Dylan

Cool. What is the finished product going to look like? Factory or aftermarket stock? Are you keeping the barrel or replacing it? It's interesting that it is a 'B' model, I'd of guessed that the stripped barreled actions were the early 721 based actions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh you know what that might be an aftermarket barrel made to look stock. I don't know if all 40x came with the front sight base or not but all of them that i've seen here on the 'Hide have had the front sight base on them. If that's the case then the caliber is most likely stamped on the part of the barrel that rests up against the recoil lug? I'm not sure but this is the only thing I can think of so far...

Hope this helps,
-Dylan</div></div>
The stripped action didn't come with any of the other parts. The holes are drilled in the barrel for the front and rear sights. The markings on the right side of the barrel look exactly like the other remington rifles I've looked at, and they match up with the correct time period for when the rifles were being made for the military. Everything points to it being the original barrel, though It could be a replacement. I don't know why an armorer would stamp a new barrel with the original date codes though, which makes me think it's probably not a replacement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Erik.300ultra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool. What is the finished product going to look like? Factory or aftermarket stock? Are you keeping the barrel or replacing it? It's interesting that it is a 'B' model, I'd of guessed that the stripped barreled actions were the early 721 based actions. </div></div>
It's going in a B&C light tactical stock, and I have one of BSA's new mil-mil FFP 4-14 scopes for it. Should be perfect for a .22 trainer.
I don't see any reason to replace the barrel at this time, this one looks great. If it shoots as well as it looks, I'll have one hell of a rifle

Yeah no doubt, I think it'll be an awsome rifle. But it kinda bugs me why the caliber isn't stamped anywhere...

I'm sure it's nothing, keep us posted as the project progresses

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah no doubt, I think it'll be an awsome rifle. But it kinda bugs me why the caliber isn't stamped anywhere...

I'm sure it's nothing, keep us posted as the project progresses</div></div>

It sure confuses the hell out of me. I'm trying to contact Remington to see if they know anything, but no luck yet.

You should stop letting it torment you, sell it to me and buy another one.
smile.gif

Well, the good news is that it's finally together. I'm going to try and get out this week and see how it shoots, we shall see.
I finally got ahold of Remington, and they basically told me they had no idea why it was missing the caliber markings, and couldn't tell me anything about it's history besides the year it was manufactured.I guess it's a mystery that will continue to bug me for some time. Until then, I think I'll just enjoy it for what it is and use it to wreak havoc on the local fuzzy critters.
cool.gif

specs:
CMP barreled action
remington 700 trigger that was worked over by a gunsmith
PT&G bolt
B&C light tactical stock
EGW 30moa rail
BSA mil/mil, ffp 4-14x45 (or thereabouts, don't remember exactly)
harris bipod with prototype feets.

IMG_0135.JPG