• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Some questions for Precision Carbine owners

Austincqc

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2010
TX, USA
After a lot of thought and deliberation between the Remington LTR and Savage Precision carbine, I decided on the Savage. For $200 less at a store, I would get a very equivalent rifle with a detachable magazine. If I added the DBM to the LTR, the difference in price would be closer to $450!!

So I found a good deal and bought a Savage Precision Carbine yesterday for around $525 with Warne Bases in .308. The barrel has around 60 rounds through it, so I suppose I'll go through the break-in process again with it just to be safe.

A couple of quick questions for other Savage 10PC owners...

What kind of ammo is giving the tightest groups?

Has anybody opened up the barrel channel any?

I heard the camo finish is really porous and doesn't clean well. Did you use anything to seal it?

I also heard the finish flakes off pretty easily. Has anybody painted their accustock? If so, how did you remove the finish?

Thanks all!! Oh, and feel free to throw up a pic so I can see your setup!
smile.gif

Re: Some questions for Precision Carbine owners

Had mine for about 6 months now. Broke it in with cheap federals from walmart. Getting groups slightly over 1" with those. FGMM give me 3/4" groups. I'm still tweaking a handload but I'm getting real close to 1/2" with it. As far as the stock goes I'm not a big fan. The BBL favors the right side of the barrel channel big time. I have to pull the barrel to the left side when torquing the action bolts to prevent it from touching. I know this has to be putting stress in it and affecting accuracy. I can't give any real info on cleaning the stock because I haven't had it dirty lol. I'm either going to replace it or skim bed it and see if I can't get things centered up. I've only shot it out to 500 yards so far but I'm fairly pleased with the results, especially considering the issues with the stock. If I do get the stock issues worked out, I'm hoping someone will make a 10 round mag that will work in the factory DBM inlet. Good luck with it!

First i would leave the wedge loose or remove it, it will cause flyers. Read the owners manual for the right way to tighten it down, you should be able to slide a dollar between the stock and barrel up to the front piller.

Make sure that the tang is floated as well, it's where the safety sets. As for groups you will just have to see what it likes best as far as factory goes. With hand loads it will make interlocking groups at 100yds.

Savage barrels require 100-200 rds to break in because they are rough, yet they shoot better than most out of the box that way. Once broken in, don't over clean it. 5 of my 6 savages run about 150rds each before the groups start to fall off, then clean it. That rifle will shoot good groups out to about 600yds, not bad for a factory 20" 1/10 barrel.

The accu-stock is a good stock, like all factory stocks it might need a little clean up to be perfect.blue

I'm planning on pulling the wedge out and bedding it on my next free weekend. I'll see what that does as far as groups goes.

I have been really happy with my Savage PC in .308 win. The only factory loads I have shot out of it have been Hornady 168gr BTHP and they were just under 1 MOA at 100 yards.

The real accuracy I have found is with hand loads, I have got many 5 shot groups at 1/2 MOA at 100 yards and a couple sub 1/2 MOA groups at 100 yards.

The load I have been using is real light but shoots great -

168gr SMK
42gr Varget
CCI BR2 Primer
Hornady Match case - trimmed to 2.005"
Varget 42gr
2.805 COAL ~ .010 into the rifling

Thanks Rommel,

I've heard varying reports ranging from 150gr giving 1/2 groups while 168gr were 1.5inches while others say the complete opposite. I just want to get some ideas of what I will try to find what she likes. I liked your review btw.

This is going to be my new hunting/secondary tactical rifle.

I'll have to find a brake for it really soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TapoutSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm hoping someone will make a 10 round mag that will work in the factory DBM inlet. Good luck with it! </div></div>

Mags

Under the "Mag's and Ramps" you can convert a stock Mag to a 8 rounder and also get a "ACME UNIVERSAL MAGAZINE CONVERSION" which will take single stack mags in 10 rds 5 rds and single rd mags.

rommel500's load data brings up another good point, to get the tightest groups, you will want step back from the max loads by probably a grain or more. Max loads work well for hunting, less than max works best for paper.

Another thought is that you can use a 150-155gr out to say 500yds unless your in strong wind, after that you will want a 168-175 or so for the weight. Of course what grain your rifle decides it likes will tell you the most. blue

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmokinAce</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TapoutSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm hoping someone will make a 10 round mag that will work in the factory DBM inlet. Good luck with it! </div></div>

Mags

Under the "Mag's and Ramps" you can convert a stock Mag to a 8 rounder and also get a "ACME UNIVERSAL MAGAZINE CONVERSION" which will take single stack mags in 10 rds 5 rds and single rd mags. </div></div>

ahhh, Acme. i see they branched out from rocket skates and anvils. nice looking conversion

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ahhh, Acme. i see they branched out from rocket skates and anvils. nice looking conversion </div></div>

Don't forget the ACME rockets, harpon gun, glue, and my all time favorite the tornado kit! The kit does look ok but you can get the 8+1 by changing the standard mag spring and bottom plate vs changing out the whole mag system. To each is his own and it depends on needs/wants
laugh.gif

Well i got my 10PC yesterday. Compared to my 10fp, the PC seems incredibly light! It probably has to do with the balance point being closer to the mag...

I noticed the barrel channel is very open. I can slide a dollar without any problem.

I also noticed the finish does flake off pretty easily. I'll have to find something to spray over it. Although I'm not insanely in love with the Digi-Cam, I think it's somewhat unique. I'll preserve it for now.

Has anybody sprayed a coating of Krylon clear coat or something like that on their stocks?

Congrats and let us know how it shoots.

First question:
Barrel Break in?
Why?
The barrel may have some rough spots, but they will be taken care of in the normal course of use.

Savage barrels tend to be very forgiving of different bullet weights, they will shoot many loads very well.

The American Eagle 168 grain OTM M1A load is a good one that tends to be 4 or 5 dollars cheaper per box than the FGMM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First question:
Barrel Break in?
Why?
The barrel may have some rough spots, but they will be taken care of in the normal course of use.

Savage barrels tend to be very forgiving of different bullet weights, they will shoot many loads very well.

The American Eagle 168 grain OTM M1A load is a good one that tends to be 4 or 5 dollars cheaper per box than the FGMM. </div></div>

I broke my barrel in by shooting 80 rounds through it over ~ 4 hours and then cleaning it. It shoots 1/2 MOA all day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First question:
Barrel Break in?
Why?

The American Eagle 168 grain OTM M1A load is a good one that tends to be 4 or 5 dollars cheaper per box than the FGMM. </div></div>

That was two questions.
smile.gif
I want to make sure the bore is smooth and accurate. I bought a few boxes of 175gr, 168gr, and 150gr from different manu. I'll make it to the range this weekend.

Not sure how the 'remove the wedge' internet nonsense got started, but it is exactly nonsense, imho. I've shot two Accustocked rifles in heavy barreled .308s and one sporter barreled 7mm RM and with good ammo and the stock torqued correctly they hang with anything out there under $3000. I haven't zeroed my FCP-K in three or four months and it shoots around a half MOA with hand loads every time out. I love when this kind of stuff gets started. "Buy an Accustocked Savage and remove one of the main things that make it an 'Accustock'".
laugh.gif

The only thing better than removing the accuwedge is buying a GA Precision rifle, changing the stock to a B&C and changing the barrel to a noodle barrel so it will be lighter for hunting. lol

Does anybody have an electronic copy of the manual? I didn't get one with my rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AustinCQC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only thing better than removing the accuwedge is buying a GA Precision rifle, changing the stock to a B&C and changing the barrel to a noodle barrel so it will be lighter for hunting. lol

</div></div>

ROFLMAO.
laugh.gif

Ok...so I was sighting in my rifle...I shot four shots and made the necessary adjustments. After a few shots, I noticed that everything was off still. I kept adjusting and adjusting after 40+ rounds, my scope had something vomit inside of it.

Before the random adjustments, I shot three ragged holes at 100 yds. It certainly kicks more than my 15lbs bench/tactical gun, but it holds its own. I'm very impressed, and it will make a great hunting rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TapoutSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If I do get the stock issues worked out, I'm hoping someone will make a 10 round mag that will work in the factory DBM inlet. Good luck with it! </div></div>

sharp shooters supplies makes a 9 round mag that'll go straight in, as well as a DBM kit for using ACIS magazines.

I just got done installing Sharp Shooters Supply 'ACME' bottom metal kit for 10-rd magazines. They are NOT AICS pattern mags, they are skinny tall and basically the same height as a 20-rd M1A mag... which is cool as they fit in my Esstac rig just fine ;-)
There are NO instructions with the kit; turns out there's some aluminum that needs to be gently ground/filed off for the front of the trigger guard to fit into the rear of the metal, and a small bit off the back of the rear of the mag well part. My rifle is a 10FPC-K with Accustock/Accutrigger. Also, the front action screw supplied with the kit is about 1/16th too long; you need to scrounge a spacer or the screw goes into the action and locks up the bolt head!
mad.gif

I picked up a 20-200 inch-lb torque wrench and went through the standard factory 'bedding' procedure; I put some Loctite Red on the action screws for good measure. The magazine feeds well, doesn't rattle and drops clear whether loaded or empty.

Here she is:

10FPCK_10rd.jpg

Scope is a Horus 3-12x 50mm FFP with H425 reticule, base is steel TPS 20MOA with Burris rings.

My PC will shoot 1/2 groups with handloads. Wedge left alone. Painted with Brownells Alumahyde II Coyote.

estp2.jpg