• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft some things i just cant figure out

black_ump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2007
erie,pa 16334
so you are draging your bag and you have pulled your rifle out and made your 3 shots... time to move, do you crawl, get up and walk/run ? what about your drag bag ? do you take the time to zip it back up ?

are their special padded pouches made for spotting scopes ?

can the eberlestock bag be draged or does it have to sit on the shoulders ?

do any of you use regular style note books from stapes as a field book ? or shooting book ? i know they make a special book for the sniper but are their any cheeper solutions

Re: some things i just cant figure out

Hardly anyone has actually dragged a drag bag operationally. It's kind of like ghillie suits - use them in sniper school, and that's it. They should be called "store the rifle in the trunk" bags instead of drag bags.

I have a padded case which goes around my spotting scope.

I like Rite in the Rain paper for my field books, because, well, it rains. If you don't shoot in the rain, then use whatever you like.

Don't much care for those packs. I carry my rifle, or just strap it to the outside of my regular pack.

But, hey, that's just me.

+1 ^^^^ i think the only time drag bags are used operationally is to carry them back pack style with rifle encased while carrying an m4 or other entry weapon. it just doesnt make sense to drag your rifle. you can just crawl with it, your spotter has an assault rifle so your covered. again the only time i see it is if your crawling solo with an m4 or something and have to drag your long gun.

I dragged a drag bag once. Got busted on the stalk. Observer saw the bag.

TAB makes a good spotting scope cover. I use one.

Eberlestocks are for packing large amounts of gear and an extra rifle. They are not convenient for carrying the rifle during comps or on a range. And if you carry one for a day you'll be dragging it by the end of it.

As for record books, it depends on what you write down and why. I have a binder for each rifle, but I don't take all that info into the field.

Oh - forgot to add: Rite in the Rain books are also good if you're old and forget to check your pockets before you throw your clothes in the wash.
laugh.gif

right on, so why train with them if you dont use them in the field..... seems like a waist of time

Training doesn't always meet operational needs. Sometimes you are trained on things you don't use. Sometimes you are issued things that you receive little or no training on (e.g. MRAPs in Iraq). The schoolhouse teaches you the basics. Those with years of practical and operational experience take care of the rest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">seems like a waist of time</div></div>Training <span style="font-style: italic">is</span> what you do when you're wasting time.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">seems like a waist of time</div></div>Training <span style="font-style: italic">is</span> what you do when you're wasting time.
wink.gif
</div></div>

i suppose so

I can't comment on the suitibility or utility of items intended for this kind of specialization.

What I <span style="font-style: italic">can</span> say is that the perceived need to acquire such items is one of the key issues that keeps me out of the competitions that involve this specialization.

Setting aside the physical aspects that exceed my capacities, even if I were fit as a fiddle, the expenses involved would deter me indefinitely.

My approach <span style="font-style: italic">has</span> to be "Bare bones, and cut to the chase"...

Greg

The main doctrinal reason I see that it is still being taught, is because the sniper's secondary role is intelligence gathering. And in the future, it is possible that we might be in a rural environment with more vegetation. The ghillie suit will be more useful than hiding out in the only farmhouse in the area. Stalking is more what they are trying to teach, being able to blend in with your surroundings to the point where you become them. And that is a skill-set that's principles can be applied in any environment. Noise and light discipline, slow movements, etc.

Lindy is right about the carry it around in your trunk bag. I like them because they can carry all your kit (rifle, spotting scope, cleaning rod, ammo, etc) but I would never stalk with one. Too heavy, too easy to get busted getting the rifle out of the case at the FFP. I also like them because of the shoulder straps come in handy and it can double as a shooting mat. I used to use an old rucksack cover camoed up with local veg over my rifle. Lightweight, easy to get the rifle out of and kept a lot of crap off my rifle. I also covered the muzzel with masking tape or 100 mph tape to keep crap out of the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used to use an old rucksack cover camoed up with local veg over my rifle. Lightweight, easy to get the rifle out of and kept a lot of crap off my rifle. I also covered the muzzel with masking tape or 100 mph tape to keep crap out of the barrel.</div></div>

You need one of these - it rolls up small enough to fit in a BDU pocket.

http://www.riflesonly.com/store/TAB/cover.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">right on, so why train with them if you dont use them in the field..... seems like a waist of time

</div></div>

They teach you to salute, and march in step as well. Don't see either of those in a active AO either.
As far as a drag bag goes.. If I am close enough for someone to shoot at me (even with Arty).The thing I shoot back with isn't in a case!!!!

Drag bags are handy for jumping. I want my rifle in some sort of case when its dangling at the end of a lowering line. But it got left with the chute.