• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Somebody talk to me about Oak Ridge

chefcam864

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2013
Spartanburg, SC
I've been shooting F- TR for about a year now, and am really getting in to it. I usually shoot at Catawba Valley gun club , in Conover NC (300 yards), and have shot 2 1k matches at camp Butner & Camp Lejeune. All of these places are nice facilities that run good matches. However, I keep hearing about how nice Oak Ridge is and it makes me want to shoot a match there.

What's it like compared to the military bases ? I'm sure it doesn't have as many firing positions, but I hear it's very pretty. Are the winds usually tricky ( kind of a dumb ? Because almost any wind is tricky at 1k).
When would be a good match to come up? I've looked at the schedule, but am not sure when the F-class matches are shot. I assume it's with the HP & prone guys. Are all the matches just 1 day? How's the competition? I've heard they have some talented shooters there. They definitely have some stiff competition at Butner! I just got my LR classification,(marksman) so I'm no pro but I sure like picking the minds of the pros...
Just tell me about the place and your experiences there. I live in upstate SC, so it's about the same distance to Butner from me. I think I might like a change of scenery.

Thanks guys!

From what i hear its tough to shoot there wind wise and im sure there are good shooters competing there.......I know XTR shoots there, im sure he could tell you more about the range.

The Oak Ridge Sportsmans Assn (ORSA) owns 900 or so acres ±, it is a private club that was formed back in the 40s when Oak Ridge was owned by the government. The club got the property when the US Gov got out of the business. If you are accustomed to drill instructor like match directors and/or pits bosses then you will either be quite relieved or very disappointed that there is nobody yelling. We don't have them, and amazingly enough we can run matches. All in all, even at the regional and state championship it's pretty laid back.

Oak Ridge does not typically have big winds, I don't think I've ever dialed over three maybe four minutes for a consistent setting; however, because of the terrain the flags don't tell the story, and because the terrain dips between the 1000 yard line and the targets the wind you are shooting in is 20 feet above the flags at 600 yards and they are below the tree line that your bullet is flying above... and it makes mirage reading iffy sometimes. Yes, in fact, it can be tricky. (that is not to say you can't ed up in the 7-ring, but that you pretty much know you screwed the pooch on.

I think there are 30 or so firing points, I've never seen us run more than 3 relays.

It is not like shooting at Raton or Perry where you can miss a shift that can blow you off of the target. What eats you up shooting an F class target at at Oak Ridge is nibbling little changes that put you 2" into the 9-ring, on both sides, or headwinds off of the berms that can push you up to the 8-ring.

I shot there at 600 today. Great bunch of regular shooters both sling and F class.

The link to the ORSA site is in my sig.

The match schedule is here:

orsahp

Last edited:
XTR, thanks for the info! Like I said, I just keep hearing good things about the place and I really want to make the trip up to shoot with you guys. Those little wind changes can eat you alive I'm sure. I think it would be good to learn to read the fine changes in wind like that. I'm pretty new to this, and am still struggling with reading the wind. So many things to watch, learn, and remember... I shot 1k at Butner back in Jan. and remember watching the flags(cloudy, zero mirage, and gusting 20mph+) and seeing my condition, so I sent it. Target came back up with a 7 at 2:30. Well, that made me scratch my head and wonder. So I looked at the flag out the corner of my eye & it was still telling me the same thing. Finally, I came off the gun to have a look, and that's when I noticed the flag pole was bending away from the wind! I thought to myself "great now on top of everything else I'm trying to watch, I also gotta watch the dang flag pole!" That was a tough day!

XTR,

Thinking about heading down for the LR Regional in June, (Although I'm not sure I'll know when to pull the trigger if no one yells first.) You expecting a big crowd?

Rob