• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Someone Please Talk Me Out of This!

I would like to voice my minority opinion here. A few years back I jumped on the super zoom wagon and got a Canon SX50, with 50X optical zoom. I took it on a trip to yellow stone, together with a spotting scope, think it was a Zeiss Diascope.

For spotting wildlife, spotting scope is hands down more practical. For the camera, between the tiny view finder and the LCD screen that only has so many pixels, neither is usable for spotting.

For taking pictures, the light weight of the camera -- compared to super zoom lens that each weighs 10 lb+ -- combined with the long extended lens that is not supported (super zoom lens usually has a tripod ring somewhere on the lens itself, while super zoom camera tripod mount is at the bottom of the camera) made the camera very shaky. None of the pictures I took came out as nice as I would have liked. They are still usable, just not great pictures.

The best use of the camera I have found is for shooting objects that are not too far away, maybe 100 yard. Beyond that, the vibration becomes a problem.

My 2 cents.

Reactions: Nik H
:eek: I got so distracted watching the video, my charge master sat idle for the full 4:44. I refuse any attempt to talk you out of it. I think you might have talked me into it. What to sell, what to sell???:unsure:

Looks like fun. If you can afford it, go for it.

Talk you out of it? It's massive in size and weight, the sensor is tiny, battery life is abysmal, the optics have cheap coatings and slow lens specs, and you will be relegated to tripod shooting at magnification to give the image stability half a chance to keep up.

The Sony RX10 IV with Zeiss T* lenses is only 25x at max zoom and runs $1700, but it beats that Nikon in every other category. The image stability, lens quality, and premium auto-focus capability alone puts it head and shoulders above. It's the reigning king of the super zooms for a reason, even if it costs a ton more.

Reactions: JayB
tenor.gif

save the $1000, put on your ghillie suit and just hide in your hot neighbors bushes like a normal person

This, and I'm in for my usual 10% consulting fee. You have my paypal account. I'm waiting. ;)

I gotta go with @Redmanss on this. The price jump is significant, but more so on usability and quality. I'd have to handle one a bit to see if I was willing to "settle". You know you're thinking about the next step up. (y)

What is your primary use for having it?
The question I would have in addition to instability (which could be fixed easily enough with some additional mounting hardware) is how it will do at full zoom without bright daylight & also how fine of a detail will it actually resolve based on the lens quality and sensor size?

What is your primary use for having it?
The question I would have in addition to instability (which could be fixed easily enough with some additional mounting hardware) is how it will do at full zoom without bright daylight & also how fine of a detail will it actually resolve based on the lens quality and sensor size?

Was thinking the same. Just because a spotter goes to 60 or a scope to 25 doesn't mean we're gonna enjoy the clarity we can at lower mags. But we know this.
And shouldn't this be in the observation section? Those darn Mods...... :LOL:

I'll get some time tomorrow (just got drafted for honey-do chores) and post up a couple 600mm shots from my Sony. It makes me look like I actually know what I'm doing behind a camera, and was absolutely worth every penny on our trip to Italy last year.

Reactions: Tucker301 and 1J04
Hey, I want an SN-9....

I need it about as much as a kitten needs a Gulfstream-V. That does not mean I should not have one. Because I want it.

If we all lived on our needs... we'd be a bunch of commies eating Borscht and peeling the caps off 1/2 liter bottles of bad vodka sedatives in order to try and forget that we can't have anything we want.

Tucker... you can afford it, my friend. Buy it. Trickle down economics will make lots of other people happy. It makes you happy. An SN-9 would make me happy... and someone else that much richer....

If you have earned it... live by what you want. Because by acquiring what you want... you will help other people get what they need. And after they get what they need... they will aspire to what they want. And work towards that... and every boat will float a bit higher.

Buy the damn thing already!

Cheers,

Sir -- The Devil On Your Shoulder -- hrmechanic

I'm the wrong guy to ask. My idea of talking someone down off the ledge is to yell 'Jump you chicken shit, jump'

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
I'm the wrong guy to ask. My idea of talking someone down off the ledge is to yell 'Jump you chicken shit, jump'

Yeah, but Tucker lives in a really nice Colonial... best he'd do is twist an ankle then spend the next 4 weeks banning people in frustration.

Try being a bit more subtle...

For example: "Tucker... Mahi says that you can't have that."

Or... "All the other Mods already have one... "

Tucker is human after all...

Cheers,

Sirhr

If it aint a bullet, a device for launching bullets, or a device for aiming where said bullet should hit, its a waste of money. Unless we are talking motorcycles, then its game on.

I have not said "Welcome Back, Army." Might have missed the thread. Just over 4 weeks before I head into Iceland....

You and me on the Trans-Lab next year, right?

Tucker can take pictures of us on the trip. From his porch in VA!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: Barneybdb
Posted about this and the P900 not to long ago. Thinking it'd be a pretty cool spotter. I've seen amazing spotting video and pics from the P900 of elk 3-4miles away.
I'd been thinking that picking up a P900 in the low $400's might be a better option to see if it really worked well as a spotter if so then upgrading to the P1000 would be the next step. I do need to confirm whether or not the P1000 would allow you to stream images to an Ipad... that would be a game changer.

Yes Sir ee. Already planning it. Give me your dates as soon as possible, only block I have is Aug 4th, missed my 34th anniversary this year. cant miss the 35th). Have fun in Iceland, ran into a GS rider in Prince William Sound from iceland, he is on a round the world trip right now, walking book of knowledge on global travel on a bike.. Iceland is spendy.

I have not said "Welcome Back, Army." Might have missed the thread. Just over 4 weeks before I head into Iceland....

You and me on the Trans-Lab next year, right?

Tucker can take pictures of us on the trip. From his porch in VA!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Wait six months Tucker...and you will buy one that Zooms twice as far and cost's one third as much.

Your welcome. :)

Reactions: Tucker301