• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Something to ponder...

Va_Gentleman

Cook
Minuteman
I have worked for very large companies, including my current employment, and I see so much waste of effort and resources. Tripping over dollars to pick up pennies, if you will.

We have embraced the "Servant Leadership" role. The role of taking a leadership position of putting yourself with the team, instead of above the team. Basically, don't ask someone to tackle a task you would not do yourself.

Yet, as I look and listen; I hear all the buzz-words that are military driven vernacular. The funny point is that we have no leadership with Military experience, no VFWs, not even NCOs or Reservists.

It finally dawns on me, we expect our Military to fight for our way of life; yet, we would not hire them for leadership when their test of character on the field of battle is proven. If we were to have a military influence in the Cube-Farms... white-collar cults would have a frickin meltdown.

We do not honor Dignity, Courage and Resolve. We reward cowardice, ass-kissing and well-played politics. I think about our returning Heros... and I wonder if anybody in Corporate America understands how that type of leadership would be a true asset. If you look at today's leadership in Corporate America; I think you'll see where we have our priorities... and why our business macros are so fucked.

Thoughts?

Re: Something to ponder...

I work for a rather large utility and I work with probably 35-40% veterans. Very few are in management as they do not have the organizational and oversight skills required. There are some that I would <span style="font-weight: bold">LOVE</span> to work for, but without an increased level of technical knowledge it will not happen.

Management at my company has to have the ability to see the forest and the trees. Most veterans I work with are like me and have trouble seeing the chain reaction 5-6 years down the road. I'm not saying all veterans are, but the majority of the ones I'm familiar fall into this category.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VA Gentleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We reward cowardice, ass-kissing and well-played politics.</div></div>
I whole heartedly agree with this.

I've always believed in "leading from the front". I refuse to ask anyone to do something I don't know how to do, haven't done, or am unwilling to do. I go to bat for my people at the risk of getting black-listed. I also listen to feedback from the folks "in the field" and genuinely appreciate suggestions on better ways to do things. I give credit where it is due and lay blame where it belongs followed quickly by coaching on ways to avoid making the same mistake in the future. I am also unwilling to kiss ass and have an exceptionally low tolerance for bullshit.

All this means that I will <span style="font-style: italic">never</span> rise to any position of influence.

I am not a vet, to my everlasting regret, but many veterans I work with have many of the same "foibles" as I. This means that many of them will never rise to a position of influence, either. And some vets, I'm sorry to say are just not leadership material, with no reflection on our armed forces. Some people, regardless of their work history (and that includes serving their nation) just aren't wired to be responsible for others or make "command" desisions.

You took the words out of my mouth Noah...and arranged them in a more civil and orderly fashion than I most likely would have. In my line of work, we get a few vets and they are some of the best employees. However with that zero B.S. tolerance, they don't last all that long before they move on out of disgust. I have been in that same boat as well and it does get quite old, quite fast.

Its one reason I'm glad I'm a contractor where you pretty much have to be a vet to work here. My last job couldn't understand why I wasn't agreeing with the "leadership" when I told them all they were doing was wasting time, wasting my time, wearing me out, all because someone said this is the way it HAS to be done. Not so much an issue of that here, not to mention the pay is a lot better lol

Sounds exactly like my work place. I routinely watch the guys who work hard and actually lead by example get passed over by the lazy ones who put more effort into not working than working. It's a disease.