• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Sometimes the old girl needs a refresh

Dead Eye Dick

Command Spec 4 (formally known as Wiillk)
Supporter
Minuteman
May 18, 2020
North Louisiana
USS Texas, the Last Dreadnaught.

Well over 100 years old. She had been seriously leaking.

In the dry dock at Galveston.

085E0945-C477-43D4-BC3E-C15AC06AC244.jpeg
2E1F65BD-F2B5-43D4-A988-737596D4DC1C.jpeg

8AC76033-ED10-4CBB-BA76-C6472E41C37E.jpeg

Me and my brother went and watched them tow her to Galveston. My brother just went a few weeks ago on the first tour of the Texas while she was in dry dock. Pretty cool stuff.

I will never not be in awe any time I see one of those big girls in dry dock and get reminded of how much is below the surface.

Will and I toured her in 1999 following his competition at the Regional water skiing tournament. She was very impressive. We were below, in the engine room 22 feet below the waterline looking at the giant connecting rods of her conventional steam engine. Very impressive in size.

Reactions: Stevo86
I remember going on the Texas when I was a kid in the late 60s. My Grandparents lived on Surfside Beach, south of Houston. When we visited the Texas, I was barefooted (I was always barefooted), and the one thing I remember most was, that frikkin deck, in that Texas Summer sun, was HOT! 😆