• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Son and I Want to Build High End Rifle Together - Worth Doing or Get New/Used Custom?

RonboF117

DoD Consultant
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2011
SD
All three of our sons are military officers and shooters. When the youngest returns from his overseas deployment in the next few months, he wants to build a long range precision rifle with me as some father-son time. He's decided a budget of $5K for rifle and another $2.5-3K for the scope. We've had many long discussions and emails concerning the specific parts and we think we have a good handle on those. The question we are trying to answer is how much should we try to build ourselves vs buying a custom or high-end production already-built rifle or have a custom builder do some work for us and we do the rest?

Given the 'Hide has an extremely knowledgeable shooter base; I thought I'd solicit some opinions prior to the build. The goal is to do as much as we can ourselves but we want to be sure it's smart to do this. I have some, but not all, of the tools and neither of us has layup experience for bedding the action and recoil lug. Knowing we might be able to get the barrel, lug, and action delivered already assembled and head-spaced; in a perfect world the chassis wouldn't require any bedding and we could just tighten the action screws to the pillars and be off to the races. However, we both know how important the fit of the barrel/receiver to the stock is for a 1300+ yard rifle and expect some bedding to be required. Because he's going to spend a lot of money on the build; we don't want to be the weakest link in the equation. I would expect we would need some expert help along the way to do it right given the quality of the build.

The parts we've decided on are: 6.5CM, Bartlein 26", 1:8, contour still undecided, Masterpiece Arms chassis or Manners MCS-series stock (folder preferred), Defiant Deviant or Surgeon 591SA action, Jewell HVR trigger, brake still undecided.

The goal is spending time together building a rifle that is "built like a tank and shoots like a laser". Is the money best spent doing it ourselves, on a used production, new custom, or somewhere in between? If you guys could give us a sanity check on our thought process; we'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Sounds like a good plan and a fun project. Personally I'd skip the bedding and go with a bolt in chassis, either MPA or Manners mini-chassis. DIY bedding is likely to not turn out as pretty as a good gunsmith job with a milling machine, plus it isn't really needed IMO. My Manners mini-chassis shoots in the 0.1 - 0.2 MOA range, no bedding.

Order up an action and barrel blank from your retailer of choice, have it shipped to your gunsmith of choice and have them chamber/thread the barrel. Or if your gunsmith can source it then just order the barreled action from them.

It's not really much work to do the rest... two trigger pins to attach trigger. Bolt the action into chassis and torque to spec, screw on muzzle brake, mount rings, level scope and position for the primary shooter, and you're off to the range. Doesn't take more than a couple hours.

I'd say build the rifle together, do load development together (if you reload), then go attend a local club match and compete together. That would be a lot more fun than a semi-successful DIY attempt at bedding the rifle.

I recently put together my own rifle, I bought a barreled action in 6.5 CM ( Defiance Devant action and a Hawk Hill Barrel), and a JAllen chassis from Core Shooting Solutions. I called up John at Huber Concepts and got a trigger sent out. I spent less then 5k, it took me about 30min to put it all together and it shoots like a dream. So you might not spend much time building it, but you sure can spend that time shooting! Good luck, give Colby at https://www.coreshooting.com/ a call. There really great people to work with. There currently out of barreled actions but Im sure they'll have more coming in. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Ronbo, . . . just a thought.

Get setup with Robert Gradous to have you and your son bring all the components to Robert's shop in Georgia. You could spend the night and build the complete rifle under the tutelage of Robert.

You and your son would chamber the barrel, crown it, bed the stock (if necessary), CeraKote the metalwork and test fire the thing in one cycle from start to finish. You would have a really nice rifle and you really, really would be building it from the ground up.

To my knowledge, there are several around this forum that have done that and all gave 2 thumbs up. The package price may not be cheap but considering that you will be taking him out of circulation within his own business for a day or two, it is likely a bargain for what you get in the end.

Either way, I hope your project is a success and it is a great memory that you and your son can look back on for a long time.

PS: Please tell all 3 of your sons that we appreciate their service.

Be safe,
Terry

Appreciate the replies. That's part of what I was getting at ... it might not be too much to do if the chassis didn't require any bedding. Terry, you bring up a great point about building the rifle with Robert. I think I had heard of one person in the past that had done that but had completely forgotten about it.

I'll pass on the thanks to my sons - they are great men. In my almost 26 years of service I was gone so much and missed so many events, I'm really trying to do what I can now to spend as much quality time with them as I can. Until just recently, we had one son on each coast and one in the middle. Now two of them are East coast and one in Europe. The one in Europe is a SOCOM/AFSOC kinda guy and is always super busy. When he said he wanted to build the rifle on leave; I was all for it.

Thanks for the input guys.

"The only thing new is the history you don't know."

^^^^^^

You've gotten a bunch of good recommendations that would allow you reach your goal. All will yield you a very capable rifle that will excel at your intended use. Only you and your son can decide the route to take. Ther are production rifles that will fit your needs and you can certainly buy a rifle in the for sale forum that will get the job done.

What makes this site the best LR, precision, tactical site on the internet is that it's probably the only one where one of the acknowledged best builders in the country would direct you to another builder who could most perfectly fit your needs if hands on is an important goal.

Thank you you to your sons for their service and to the rest of your family who serve right along with them.
​​​​

A friend and I did this with Mausingfields. Just over $3200 for each of us.

We chose different chassis systems, barrels, brakes and triggers. Actually I had a low round count barrel already that was setback but have a more expensive chassis.

If you were to go with a prefit barrel/barrel nut instead of shouldered barrel you'd save about $300. I'm going to try one next time for the heck of it.

I did my own glassbedding until I had the opportunity to send one off to McMillan to do. What I got back was so outstandingly superior to anything i could possibly come up with that I haven't done another bedding job since. What these folks are telling you about home-done glassbedding is the real deal, especially if it's a first or second one. There's a good reason why the Pro's get all that business.

But also, with that budget, there's no reason to sty away from a chassis system.

I like the Savage (Remage?) headspacing system, just spend the bucks for a some genuine headspacing gauges, to ensure that the rest of the expenditures don't go astray. Unless you're properly prepared to chamber, headspace, and crown on your own, better to have it done professionally.

I have a distinct preference for Lothar-Walther barrels, especially their drop-in Savage barrels, but that's my old age speaking again.

The rest of the things are matters of preference, the chorus here likes your choices.

Terry Cross is somebody I've always listened to attentively and what he's proposing sounds like the experience of a lifetime.

...And finally; whatever you decide, don't dither on it. Just decide and do, period. Most of us get the jitters once the game is out of our hands and the conclusion is pending. By doing it all yourselves, that part is not a significant portion of the equation.

Greg

Last edited:
Didn't see it mentioned but if you go the full custom route and send everything to a gun shop I would highly suggest buying a new reamer for you and your son's rifle it's a good chance that the finished product will have rounds that interchange with each other along with load development should be damn near identical.
it's likely a good smith the rounds will still interchange with the reamer they have on hand but you get Chambers cut with a new reamer that you own and the amount you have invested in this set up another 200 or so dollars give or take would be money well invested in my opinion

Last edited:
The experience of watching a rifle be put together or having a smith talk you through doing it yourself sounds like an excellent experience. But short of that, having a custom put together is not a bonding experience, unless you consider months of sitting together and talking impatiently about the rifle that isn't there yet.

I would highly recommend a Savage or Remage. I've done both. My Savage 243AI done with a Shilen prefit consistently shoots in the .2s-.3s, heavy sporter barrel. I bedded it myself in a McMillan A3 Sporter. My most recent build was a Remage 338 Edge using a McGowan prefit and Stiller Predator action. Significant smithing work was required on the action to make it a repeater due to the OAL of nearly 4 inches. I did it all with files and a Dremel and it turned out great. Also bedded in an A3 Sporter. Last week I stretched it to 833 yards and shot a 1-3/8" 3-shot group. Several others in the 3-4" range. I wouldn't have expected any better from a full custom, and I can take pride in having built it from the ground up myself.

I had a chassis rifle XLR element and now have a manners T6A. I much prefer the Manners stock.

The chassis gun was a Savage build with a criterion barrel in 6.5 creedmoor. I used a mall of the parts available for the Savage and it shot well.

I sold that rifle and now have a defiance machine action with a 26" Bartlien like you want. It's in a Manners T6A and shoots like a dream.

Everyone who puts eyes on it falls in love.

As for optics with you being prior military look at the Vortex Razor gen II from them. They offer a huge discount for your service. So does Bushnell if you like their scopes. I personally have the 4.5X27 Gen II and wouldn't trade it for anything unless offered some scope me twice it's price.

057fec27339077545d8eb47f69394569.jpg

I think I have about $3500-$4000 in the rifle and $1650 (got a stupid deal) in the scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are good prices for a barreled action. Wish they had a 26" barrel though.

You could build a rifle off of those deals pretty cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk