• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Son's black coyote ....update, another dead dog

ggmanning

Bird Dog
Minuteman
  • Apr 23, 2010
    Rural South
    My 10 yr old son and I have been hammering yotes since deer season ended thanks to NC finally legalizing night hunting coyotes. Little man lucked up and put down a beautiful little male last night with a full black coat and a small white blaze on it's chest. He came in with a gray female and it made a nice double. He was so excited with the black yote that he forgot to shuck in a new round and missed a perfect broadside opportunity with the female. Luckily when I hit some pup distress welps she poked back out about 200 yds away and he smacked her too. We usually just pelt our yotes but I think we are going to get this one full body mounted.....he'd be hard pressed to ever shoot another on like that around here. The night photo makes it look lighter than it is.....it was jet black.

IMG_1121_zpsa4b004a6.jpg

Re: Son's black coyote

good looking dog congrats to you and your son he will remember that nite forever

That is really cool. A full body mount is a must.

I could only imagine being 10 and getting a trophy like that. So cool. Definite mount so he can have that pride for a long time to come.

Wow! Nice looking yote for sure. I've never seen one that dark in AZ. Do you think it is mixed with something?

Congratulations! I've been hunting coyotes since the middle 70's and I've never seen one that dark. Trophy for sure.

congrats on a fine animal , he should make a fantastic mount.Congrats also on bringing your son hunting.

Thanks for the kind replies we were both pretty excited with this one. My son gets to do all the shooting unless one comes in on top of us and I shoot it with the AR. It means we lose one once in a while but teaching him is the main goal so he gets all the trigger time. I give him the drivers seat with turkey and deer as well and have found I really enjoy helping him kill some nice stuff more than if I shot them myself. I am not sure if it is mixed or not it did look 100% coyote as far as appearance and features. Every other one we have killed this year has been typical gray/reddish eastern coyote color. We have just in the past 5 years gotten coyotes in real huntable numbers here and they have exploded in numbers so I guess anything is possible on it's genetics. The guys that deer hunt this location tell me there is a real light one there also. The gun is a .223 built by William Roscoe Louisiana Precision Rifles. It is a Defiance LPR action, Manners T2, 20" Rock carbon wrapped 1:8", Surgeon bottom metal and Badger EFR bedded by Short Action Customs. This is the first time we have hunted this location and it was full of howls and yelps. We try to not call a spot but about once a month and it will be a long 3 weeks or so before we go back.

As far as I know, black coyotes are more of a pure breed. I was told by an old trapper that its closer to what the coyote started as. Like when a wild pig has more traits of a real Russian boar. I could be wrong but have heard that is why they are not as common and are considered more of a trophy. I used to see a pack of coyotes at work at night and a big black one seemed to be the leader. Never did get that one. The few people I know of who have killed a black one all got full body mounts. Congratulations to you and your son whatever the case may be.

By the way, It does my hart good to see a father and son bonding
    like that. So many times, parents don't take the time out for their kids. One lucky little man.

Doc Les

Ive seen a few really dark ones here in Eastern NC, Ive also killed a pure silver one about two years back, Ill see if I can dig up some pictures of him.

Nice kill for your son Manning!

Congrats to you and your son! That is an awesome looking yote!

Never have I seen a black one here in the midwest. That would make the old heart go pitter patter!!

I have a 7 year old and he is getting closer all the time.

Congrats to the both of you.

I want to bring my daughters out hunting, I know it'll be something they would always remember. It's great you have your son out, that's an awesome looking dog. I haven't been at it long here but I saw a real red coyote a couple months back that I beat myself up for missing

Awesome dog bro, that'll make a killer full body mount. Can't wait for my lil man child to be old enough to pull the trigger on one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MisterFistHer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I could only imagine being 10 and getting a trophy like that. So cool. Definite mount so he can have that pride for a long time to come. </div></div>

This. Right here.

If you do get it mounted, make sure to use someone who does coyote's often. I haven't seen too many coyote mounts come out too well... but maybe that's for lack of trying. Regardless, that kill is well worth getting a good mount done up.

Very nice coy-dogs. You dont see to many but there are a few running around.
    Xdeano

Awesome pic. Would like to see a pic of a full body mount!!

we had black ones out by the missouri in sd and the gfp/dnr guys say that they are cross breeding with the dogs and thats why were getting goofy colored ones

That is AWESOME!!! Congrats to you & your son.

Thanks for sharing & best of luck next time in the woods. Love to see a 'yote taking some .223 medicine.

Yea Ceylon he had on an Eberlestock X1 with a youth harness.....can't remember where I got it though
    grin.gif

So many great things about your post!

Congrats on the yote to your son.

Great looking dark phase yote.

Good for you for getting your son out with you and involved in hunting/shooting.

Congrats to you both and keep it up!!

Congrats to your boy on a real pretty coyote!
    And great job to you too, Dad...

That is a great looking Coyote. Looking forward to when I can start shooting and hunting with my son.

I have a friend in the Raliegh area if you don't have a preferred taxidermist already. He started taxidermy because he was sick of the bad job people were doing with his mounts so he works hard at it and does competitions and everything.

PM me if you want his info.

+1 on using a good taxidermist. Nothing worse than a great animal disrespected by a cruddy taxidermist. Very impressive kill!

you found scruffy....what did he do to deserve to die??? Na, just kidding...Very nice looking yote, would make a really nice mount

I have a neighbor who is a taxidermist and does a good job for us. He's done a fair amount of coyotes and cats.

Will on the wolves....that would give a whole different feel to the hunt. My son even says it's a little scary when a coyote is on on top of us yipping and howling.

That dude is sure pretty! We've got several blacks within 50 miles of here. Your boy did a fine job. I wish Arkansas game and fish would get their heads out of their butts and allow night hunting for predators.

Got another nice looking female last night. The weather turned to crap fast so we only made one set. Lucky for little man we had an early customer. She was skittish in the wind we were getting but eased in close enough for about a 100 yd shot. Excuse the crappy cell phone pic. I am proud of him he is shooing good.

2012-12-08_19-16-08_742_zps65d43433.jpg

Excellent job!

Now get a real camera because you and him are <span style="font-weight: bold">REALLY</span> going to want to keep and share those loving memories in the years to come. No BS there.

If you need camera advice, PM Lowlight. He's pretty good shooting both cameras and rifles.