• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Sons first Buck

OH58DViper

Resumé- have Apache, lacks conscience, will travel
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
My son has been running a bolt gun since he was 18 months old. He dry fire’s weekly and we go shoot when we can. Last night his work paid off. 200 yards off a RRS tripod with level head and vyce, one and done. He bangs steel with this set up at 1000 yds (I dial elevation for him) but he holds for wind, so 200 felt like a chip shot for this kid. He’s 4 1/2 btw....also, I filmed it through the “I Scope.” Not bad for a little guy and for a first buck. Buck was 3 1/2 YO and scored gross 130 3/8”!
DB31FBB2-3CAF-4FFB-9B70-35C54015FCEF.jpeg
4544D752-2254-4385-BBD0-6E00A1FDE777.jpeg
44C6D839-4671-4D32-A4BB-04761589431A.png

Wow, congrats to both of you.

Definitely a memory of a lifetime

Awesome! What rifle?

my son turns 3 soon and has been messing with my bolt guns since he turned 1. Similar to your son. Can’t wait for him to bag one!

Thank you all!

It’s hard to put into words how proud something like this makes a father. Definitely one of my favorite memories and one that I’ll remember forever.

He was shooting an RBros full custom.

GA hunter Defiance 338 RUM
Proof Sendero 28” with seamless brake
Manners PRS 1
Tim CE trigger
Custom paint by CGC
285 ELDM’s @2838 fps
Minox ZP5 5-25 MR4 in NF rings

I’ll post pics later. I know most will think that this is way too much Rifle for a kid his size, but he chose this one off of the wall of rifles. I’m a “you rig it, you ride it” kind of guy. With one leg of the tripod slightly longer than the others, placed inline with the recoil direction, coupled with the brake, reduces the recoil to that of less than a lightweight .243. He stands off to the right with his left hand on the stock to adjust and then right hand in the grip and trigger, with the “I scope” installed, so he isn’t behind the rifle at the time of firing. He has a Manners CS stock for shooting traditionally, but wanted the “big one” off the wall.

Last edited:
My son has been running a bolt gun since he was 18 months old. He dry fire’s weekly and we go shoot when we can. Last night his work paid off. 200 yards off a RRS tripod with level head and vyce, one and done. He bangs steel with this set up at 1000 yds (I dial elevation for him) but he holds for wind, so 200 felt like a chip shot for this kid. He’s 4 1/2 btw....also, I filmed it through the “I Scope.” Not bad for a little guy and for a first buck. Buck was 3 1/2 YO and scored gross 130 3/8”!View attachment 7423061View attachment 7423062View attachment 7423063
Congrats to your son and to you for teaching him!

That is some awesome parenting right there! Good shooting on the kids part too!

Congrats to you both! Enjoy these moments.

I'd give anything to roll back the years to where my son was my hunting buddy again. Damn X-box!

Congrats!! Great shooting and an inspiring story for all of us parents to youngsters- great way spend time together and get them into shooting/hunting.