• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Son's turkey....more beards than I have ever seen

ggmanning

Bird Dog
Minuteman
  • Apr 23, 2010
    Rural South
    My little man killed a nice one this morning. It had a real nice thick paint brush 11"and 6 more beards from about 4-7". I have killed a lot of turkeys in my life and never seen one with 7 beards. As usual I got the leftovers and had to settle for the big boy's running mate with an 8" beard. He is learning well. He killed his first bird 2 seasons ago and I have moved him from a set up blind to runnin' and gunnin' the last two seasons. They made us look stupid last weekend so this was a good morning after a late gobble and getting set up just right for the fly down. I let him take his shot and then tried to take mine and realized the bolt on my Benelli had move back a 1/2" and wouldn't fire. Luckily mine ran straight away from me so I quickly shucked the bolt and shot him running away. One of those "never forget' days in the woods with my son.

IMG_20130419_072133_024_zps8a7883a1.jpg

IMG_20130419_071947_608_zps1f75aa3b.jpg

He's 10. That boy lives to hunt and I love to teach him and put him on good stuff. Hell I don't even care if I get to shoot anything any more between him and his oldest sister.

Wow man you need to get that bird scored because I'm certain that thing is going to rank pretty high in your states record books. Have you cut it up yet? If not he's still scorable.

Holy cow! Seriously, get that monster scored. That has to be on the top 5 list of biggest birds ie ever seen!

Congrats on having a hobby like that with your son. I can't wait for my youngun to get a little older so I can start this.

Jay

Normally they are cut up and just fan mounted. I took this one to the taxidermist just because it's unusual. I'll get him to score it.

Puberty must have come early for that one.

Great job. Are you going to have it mounted, stuffed, or in some way turned into a trophy for your son?

I think he has settled on an "in the tree gobbling" mount that we can hang on the wall. Looks like the best form to have all the beards hanging out as the center piece of the mount.

Wow! Great job! Interesting set of beards there.

That's awesome! Who'll be hard to beat that. I got a 11 3/4inch beard this year was awesome.

Very nice! Great birds and a great time spent with your son. This has me thinking of the years to come with my boy (he's only 2 now).

Moments like that with your son are priceless! Smile on the hunters face tells the story. Nice birds too

That is awesome! Congrats to your son! I've never even heard about turkeys with more then two beards.