• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns SOOOOON OOF A....i had my glock cherry popped today

i picked up a 34 gen4 the other day. i was looking for a 17 gen4, i called around to all of the LGS and none had one. but, when i got the one place i know for sure that a 34, the did in deed have a 17 gen4. i handled both, and decided on the 34. plus the guy behind the counter kinda pushed me towards the 34. if all else fails, i can get a 17 slide.

the 17 did balance a bit better, but not much.

i choose the 34 for the extended slide release and mag release.

as far as the lighter trigger, i couldn't tell. plus, when i was shooting it yesterday, the muzzle flip seemed to be a bit less with the 34 than from the 17 i shot on monday. follow up shots felt quicker as well. shooting the 34 back to back with my sig, i do indeed like the longer sight radius, so i am happy with my choice for that aspect.

the sights SUCK ASS!!! i had a hard time getting a good, consistent sight picture. at 7 yards (i didn't want to extend out too much for my first time out), i would have a 5 shot 1" group, then on my next mag, i would have a 5 shot 1" group 3" to the right and 2" up. WTF? at least when i had a sight picture for that particular 5 round mag, i was consistent, but when it was time for the next mag, i was way off.

i am still way more accurate with my sig though! love my sigs, by the way. (i had to throw that in there!)

Go to Dawson Precision and get a good set of sights. Sights on Glocks have sucked for years. I use black rear and red fiber optic in the front on my 34 and 35. The fiber optic is great at drawing the eye. Couple horrible pics below LOL Congrats on the Glock. Had one since 1988 and they never let me down.

DSCN1115.jpgDSCN1117.jpg

as far as the lighter trigger, i couldn't tell. plus, when i was shooting it yesterday, the muzzle flip seemed to be a bit less with the 34 than from the 17 i shot on monday. follow up shots felt quicker as well. shooting the 34 back to back with my sig, i do indeed like the longer sight radius, so i am happy with my choice for that aspect.

the sights SUCK ASS!!! i had a hard time getting a good, consistent sight picture.

Shooting Glock triggers suck. It takes a lot of practice. They're not that smooth, and most people find themselves shooting a Glock worse than the others handguns until they get their trigger pull on it better.

Nightsights will help immensely in improving sight picture. In the mean time, blackout that front sight dot with a black marker. That should help your shooting a bit.

G _ O C K

There are no more vowels, Spin or Solve

no reason to bash other brands and yes I like Me some 1911 but the Glock is just so Right and the 34 has more wins in USPSA competition than any other.

I'm the opposite of most.

My first serious comp pistol was a Glock 22. I had the first one in town and immediately began winning our local USPSA matches because I had reliability, major power factor loads and high capacity all together.

Then one day I was practicing and it felt like I was shooting 10mm loads, next thing I knew it blew up in my hands! The next month a magazine article came out that stated "don't shoot lead bullets in Glock 22's". Turned out a ring of lead would form directly in front of the chamber and cause a severe over pressure. Glock replaced the pistol for me at cost and I used that new pistol for a few more years.

Then owned different configurations of Glocks throughout the years. Pretty good all around pistols really.

Of all the wonder 9 type pistols I like the ergo's and low bore to web of hand of the Steyr M9, they have least muzzle rise of the lot. Next is the S&W MP though.

Long story short I sold them all once I found out what a STI Edge 2011 was!

Welcome aboard!!! I know how you feel i started with a m&p but eventually i had to go glock

Exact opposite here, started with Glocks, held/shot a M&P then sold all the Glocks.

Both are great guns, the Glock just doesn't feel near as good as the M&P.

I own handguns for one reason. Self defense, whether it away from home or at home to protect my family. I cant afford to shoot alot or competition shooting. Glocks are not the best or sexiest looking out there but they go bang everytime. Thats what i want and need out of a handgun. My 19 is with me or on the nightstand all of the time. I added nightsights to make it the perfect home defense pistol for me. My wife carries a model 26. I also have 2 xdm's and they always stay in the safe. They are nice pistols and are reliable, i just like the glocks better. Thinking of selling the xdm's in 40 cal and get a glock 22 and 23. If crap hits the fan, there sure are lots of mags and ammo for the 40 and glocks due to so many LE agencies carrying glocks. Just my two cents.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

I own handguns for one reason. Self defense, whether it away from home or at home to protect my family. I cant afford to shoot alot or competition shooting. Glocks are not the best or sexiest looking out there but they go bang everytime. Thats what i want and need out of a handgun. My 19 is with me or on the nightstand all of the time. I added nightsights to make it the perfect home defense pistol for me. My wife carries a model 26. I also have 2 xdm's and they always stay in the safe. They are nice pistols and are reliable, i just like the glocks better. Thinking of selling the xdm's in 40 cal and get a glock 22 and 23. If crap hits the fan, there sure are lots of mags and ammo for the 40 and glocks due to so many LE agencies carrying glocks. Just my two cents.

Wow. You described my thoughts and situation almost exactly. Including the same exact types of Glocks, and who uses them. The only difference is, I don't own the XD's, that's it. Lol.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I meant to say in my post " best looking or sexiest". I had owned all the different generations of the glocks in 9 and 40 and when the xdm came out, i just liked the way they fit my hand. Got rid of the glocks and just had the xdm's. After handling the gen 4 i bought 2 of them and now want two more in 40. As stated, always reliable with tons of parts and stuff out there for them, holsters, sights, barrels, etc. Very popular sidearm.

Wow. You described my thoughts and situation almost exactly. Including the same exact types of Glocks, and who uses them. The only difference is, I don't own the XD's, that's it. Lol.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Holy crap!!!!!! Another person thinking like me, God help us all!!! LOL. Just to add something else, i have never owned a 1911 and have always wanted one, a quality one i might add. Holy cow they are expensive. What will they do for me that a glock wont? Remember, defensive use only, i still dont have a 1911.

Welcome to the club, smoking jackets are down the hall.
son of a bitch!!!

i shot a glock for the first time today. a 17 gen 4.

i had a hatred for glocks. i couldn't stand them. the grip angle, the grip width, length, just the over all feel. they have no soul, no character, feel like bricks, are ugly as hell. shitty triggers. everyone and their mother says, "buy a glock, buy a glock, blah blah blah. glock this, glock that blah blah blah. sigs suck, buy a glock, 1911s suck, but a glock blah blah blah".

damn it!

i liked it...fuck me runnin'.

did i say damn it?

anywho, i went to a rental range today to try out the XDm and S&W up against my sig 226 (love my sigs!). all 9mm. i did this because i want to get into IDPA and USPSA this year. i can see the short comings of the sig, the DA/SA, and as much as i try, i still inadvertently ride the slide catch. killing paper has gotten so mundane and humdrum. time to get serious.

so i started out with the XDm 5.25. i had one about a year ago, and i quickly remembered why i got rid of it. they are nice guns. they are accurate, well built. but they just don't fit me. i'm done with it. fool me once... for my opinion, if i give my sig a 10, i give the XDm a 4.5.

then came the S&W pro. i liked the ergos. i really liked the "fish scale" serrations on the slide. it gave me positive traction. the mag was a little goofy to load though. i am not sure why. also, dropping the mag wasn't very positive. maybe because they are rental guns and they haven't been cleaned in who knows how long. again, sig a 10, the S&W a 7.5.

as i was packing up and returning the SW to the counter, i looked down as saw the glocks. a brief thought pops into my head, "fucking POS fanboy ghetto as bricks".

then i look again.

F-it. i ask the guy for a 34, but it was a gen 3. now this is where my disdain for the grip comes in. i can't stand the grip on a gen 3. i have held the gen 4s and i could feel the difference right away. and for a brief moment they were not too bad. but in my mid they where still ghetto ass glocks, so i hate them with a passion!

so, F-it. i ask the guy if he has a gen 4 17 and they did. so i get my box of ammo and the queer as glock.

BAM!.....BAM!..... BA-BAM! BAM!.....BAM! huh.......well fuck me runnin'.

i liked it!

very natural point of aim. pretty cozy on the grip after all. and the shitty trigger? actually not shitty at all!

my groups with my sig were half the size as the glocks, but i only had 50 rounds thru it. whereas my sigs (226s, 229s, 225s), upwards of 3000 in the last year.

ho-hum, as i sag my shoulders, hang my head in shame and kick rocks.

damn it!

corey4,

I'm in the same boat brother. I talked all sorts of crap about polymer pistols up until the summer of '12. Then I shot a Gen 4 Glock 17. I like the grip angle, I liked the craptastic factory plastic sights, and I shot it WELL. I was floored that I could shoot one of those as well as one of my 1911's. So I tried a Glock 19, 22, and 35 that the range had as rentals. I was sold. I traded an "extra" Mossberg 930SPX that I had for a NIB Glock 17 off of my buddy the following week later (had to wait for stupid NC pistol purchase permit).

I have since done the .25 trigger job, put Trijicon sights and a light on it, and it now sits next to my bed.

I also own a S&W M&P .40. I'm caught in between the two honestly. The S&W trigger was horrible out of the box, even after pulling everything apart and polishing it with my dremel. I don't want to spend the money and put an APEX trigger in it, because that only means that I have to dump more money in that pistol. It shoots okay (rather I shoot it okay), but I shoot the Glocks better. The S&W will pull duty as a truck/ranch/hunting sort of do-all sidearm that I do not mind banging around and dinging up. I'm one of those snobs who hates beating my good stuff up, so having a beater pistol is alright by me.