• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

sorry another cleaning question

Ghillie man

Private
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2009
pittsburgh pa
i no there has been a billion cleaning questions. i shoot a 22 lr bench rest and i clean it every 15 rounds or so. my question do i get the same acuracy from my other 22 lr by cleaning them every 2000+. i no they wont shoot like my br but will i get the same results from cleaning every 2000+ rnds as if every 15 rounds. i apologize for asking another cleaning question but i need to no. thanks

Re: sorry another cleaning question

I clean the chamber and bolt face regularly. Once and a while i run a dry patch down the barrel. I only do a full cleaning when the gun will be stored for a long period of time. Then its cleaned thoroughly and oiled.

A BR gun will need 25 to 50 rounds down range after cleaning before it stabilizes. 2000...maybe too many. Maybe not. let a fall off in accuracy tell you when. Bolt face and chamber...ok. Once you find a cartridge that gives you what you want, then stand back and let the gun talk. JMHO

In benchrest I run a patch every two targets or about 75 to 100 rounds and a brush once through every brick of ammo. Other 22'.A patch when my groups open up a bit.

In my BR rifles it only take 5 or 6 rounds to season it,I use a ground down 22 jag with inch and a quarter patches

I seldom clean my .22LR's. The bullet lube has apparently served as an effective bore preservative over both long and short term storage. I will occasionally remove the bolt and dry rag the interior of the receiver and the bolt exterior, and follow this up with a dry patch or three down the barrel. Dassall.

If you shoot frontstuffers, you are familiar with the concept of lubricated projeciles and bores, and with the term 'seasoning'. Once cleaned, the bore requires reseasoning. Meticulous removal of all matter inside the bore is thought counterproductive, and is usually followed by a complete, more thorough round of reseasoning.

My Savage Anschutz single shot disappeared while I was in 'Nam. When my deceased Brother's arms were redistributed approximately 50 years later, the barreled action, missing a loading slide, reappeared. It had apparently survived a house fire. The outside is rusted wreckage. The bore, once cleaned, is a mirror.

I'm sure that has something to do with not cleaning that preservative lube out of the bore.

I'm pretty sure that if you're religiously cleaning your .22LR bore before allowing more than 15 rounds down it, you have probably never experienced your rifle's true accuracy potential. Let 'er rip for about 100rd and then see how she shoots. You might find you like it.

Greg