• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sorting primers

chariotdriver

Private
Minuteman
May 27, 2011
Olympia, WA
Been shooting 215M primers in the 338lm. Noticed some have just a little purple paint on their firing side while others have blobs of the purple stuff. What is this paint like stuff and what does it do to the ignition sequence when it's varied from primer to primer. Just curious.......trying to track down some ES problems with the loads.

I don't really know for sure, but I think the purple is just paint to mark that it's magnum, the 210M is red paint, just to mark them for a person. The 205M is gold, not painted. This shouldn't make much of a difference, in your ES. I may b wrong, the only way to know would be a primer switch.

I would look elsewhere. I'm anal, I admit it, but the idea that a spot of "paint" on a primer would affect ES is amusing. (no offense)

My opinion is that the primer is the least significant component. Significant components might be bullet weight variation, case capacity differential as judged by weight and gravitational issues (drop) caused by the rotation of the earth relative to magnetic north.

Okay, I'm just having a little fun with this but seriously, how are you measuring ES, and at what point beyond zero does it become a "problem"? BB