• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Source for a 6.5 CM small base resizing die?

Lofty

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2008
Lenexa KS
I just picked up an LRP07 from JP in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Ive been told that the chamber is tight and a full length resizing die with a small base is suggested so that the cartridge will feed properly.

Finding one has been another issue altogether......anyone know of someone off the beaten path that might happen to have one in stock?

If you are reloading virgin brass, you will not generally need the small base die to start as virgin brass is smaller than once fired brass. Once your brass is fireformed, you will need the small base die. I have not seen a small base sizing die available as of yet. You could also have a custom die made using your fired cases, although that is typically more expensive that an off the shelf die.

Kind regards,
Jared

I'd see how well it chambers with properly-bumped, FLS'd cartridges before fretting about it.

You're looking for the ability to drop a cartridge into a tipped-down barrel with a "dink" sound, and then be able to tip the muzzle up and have gravity alone pull the cartridge back out of the chamber.

There is a lot that can be said for an excellent match between chamber and sizing die. For example, my 284 chamber was cut with a PTG "Match" reamer. WW brass fits/extracts great for 2 or maybe 3 firings, after that I get sticky extraction, and I need to smallbase size to fix it. Now, I just SB size every firing. Lucikly Redding makes the SB 284 sizer.

I'd call JP and see what he's got to say. He is excellent and knows whats up.

Ive got a bunch of once fired brass that Ive gathered from matches from guys shooting factory ammo left behind.....Ive gathered about 500 pieces so Id love to be able to take advantage of them....especially considering the cost and low availability of brass these days.

RCBS Small Base Sizing Die 6.5 Creedmoor

RCBS makes them but the wait list on backorder is at least 3 months........which sucks.

Thanks for the feedback....Jon Paul is one of the most helpful guys Ive ever met in the industry....but as with everyone right now, getting him on the phone is proving difficult. Which I more than understand, I can only imagine his workload right now.

I'd see how well it chambers with properly-bumped, FLS'd cartridges before fretting about it.

You're looking for the ability to drop a cartridge into a tipped-down barrel with a "dink" sound, and then be able to tip the muzzle up and have gravity alone pull the cartridge back out of the chamber.

There is a lot that can be said for an excellent match between chamber and sizing die. For example, my 284 chamber was cut with a PTG "Match" reamer. WW brass fits/extracts great for 2 or maybe 3 firings, after that I get sticky extraction, and I need to smallbase size to fix it. Now, I just SB size every firing. Lucikly Redding makes the SB 284 sizer.

I'd call JP and see what he's got to say. He is excellent and knows whats up.

I hear ya on getting folks on the horn.

JP, besides being just generally awesome, keeps a STRONG presence at shooting matches, which I assume makes him even busier when he's in the shop.

So far I've had little need for JP products, but just as soon as I want/need a product that he covers, I'm going to send business his way. He **really** **really** steps up to the plate in supporting the shooting sports.

That said, I'd get on the wait list for one of those SB dies. You'll find it very handy to have on hand. Because of the long wait list, you know it's a popular product and you'll be able to sell it in the future as required.

Last edited:
You can always try this,
The Redding Competition Shellholder Kit #1 consists of five shellholders in varying heights with increments of .002". Allows you to increase or decrease the case to chamber headspace without adjusting the dies.

You might try sizing with different FL dies and find one that sizes to what you need. I have 3 different dies and all are different. My L.E. Wilson die sizes closest to my chamber so that is the 1 I use. The Lee FL die is the smallest. Measure your fired brass and see what size you are looking at. Good luck

Plus one on trying another FL die. Had the same problem with a tight chambered CLE 223. Redding sizing die wasn’t sizing enough, hot cases would stick. Before springing for a small base die I tried an off the shelf Hornady - problem solved.; the Hornady sizes them just a tad more.

The competition shell holders help with headspace, but they don’t help with sizing the case girth any, different issue. As explained to me, a gas gun doesn’t allow enough time for the case to cool & shrink before extraction.

Last edited:
Get yourself a Forster FL Sizing die for around $36 and you will be good to go without any issues. Set it up to bump the shoulder .003 from fired case headspace.