• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Source for US made tools?

JoeSmith

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2006
Texas
Anyone know of source for quality tools (screwdrivers, wrenches, etc), preferably US made and most definately NOT China made?
Thanks.

Re: Source for US made tools?

Snap-on, Mactools, or Matco. Klein makes the best handtools and I think they are made in the USA.

Thanks for replies. Unfortunately, too much of the Kobalt line is made in china. I bought a tool set yesterday and used it at the range today and broke some?! Arg)*()&^^*%^%!
Should have checked. We need to support ourselves anyways.

snap on is definitely the best wrenches and all mechanic hand tools for that matter, you can get hands down.
that being said, unless you are going to be turning them all day for a living, you are probably going overboard. not that it matters on a site where people pay 8K for a precision rifle and glass.
smile.gif

whats even better a few years ago snap on started selling their stuff online instead of just dealers that come to shops.
also, use ebay, you can get stuff often for half price. no point in paying for new since these tools last forever with life time replacement warranties.
in fact i pretty much stopped buying any new stuff that i needed for work (pretty much done buying tools though) since i discovered the resale market on ebay.

The top mechanics tools(Snap-On, Mac, Matco) are all US made along with Cornwell and Craftsman. I have some of almost everyone of those in my box that I have collected over the years. I have a strong aversion to cheap tools....if it says made in any other place but the USA or says chrome vanadium it won't see the inside of my tool box.

Back when I first went to work for the fire dept I worked as an electrician on my days off and my hand tools for that are all Klein...US made!

I like to hit up the pawn shops as they always have tools. You have to dig for the Craftsman sometimes, but the price is always right after haggling with them. Craigslist is another great source. Used Craftsman/Snap-On/etc. become new very easily.....

I have a lot of S-K tools in my box. They have held up well in my 15 years turning wrenches.

If you use Matco, Mac, or Snap-On, you will absolutely see the difference in removing fasteners. You will round less, get rounded nuts and bolts off better. If you want you can go the poor mechanics route. That is, get a set from say Craftsman and replace the heavy use sizes with one from the big 3.

Careful with new Craftsman tools...after doing some digging it appears some of the stuff from the last few years is made in China. And I can say without reserve that the quality and durability of their tools made in the last decade are not worthy of the Craftsman name. I've had to return almost every single socket and ratchet I've purchased in that time.

Stick with Snap-On, Matco, and older Craftsman and Thorsen tools which are clearly marked "Made in USA". Buy once, cry once.

Look at Wright Williams or Proto all US made and all will take abuse especially Wright 12 point impact sockets

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yz3500f</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look at Wright Williams or Proto all US made and all will take abuse especially Wright 12 point impact sockets </div></div>
I have never used a 12 point impact socket. What is good about them. Seems to me you would have a better chance of rounding the shoulders,

you cant go wrong with US made tool brand name snap on mac bonney sk. Some times you can buy good tools from estates or from older men retired who are not handing them down.Also hard ship buys of older tools works good luck .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pale horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you cant go wrong with US made tool brand name snap on mac bonney sk. Some times you can buy good tools from estates or from older men retired who are not handing them down.Also hard ship buys of older tools works good luck .</div></div>

I have seen some really good tools at yard sales but you have to hit a lot of them to get them but they go cheap compared to new.

it really depends how much you will be using the tools in my opinion. nothing at all wrong with a non professional using snap on tools or mac or matco, but it might be overkill. sort of like a guy buying a new f350 dually that never tows or uses his truck as a pick up truck. nothing wrong with it, but its not the best use of resources

if you are going to be doing light stuff, not using them professionally, etc, you really dont need to spend $$$$$ on all snap on stuff. you can get by with craftsman. you can take a craftsman tool back for warranty any time you want for whatever reason. the main reason to step from craftsman to snap on or mac, etc is because if your income depends on those tools, you dont have time if you break a tool with hard or professional use(inevitable no matter which brand you use, but snap on is definitely less likely to break) to run to sears and warranty it only to find out they are currently out of said tool.

some stuff that is abused to all hell, i dont see a point in paying twice as much for snap on. things like the screw drivers you use as pry bars and punches, pickle forks, the chrome sockets you use on impact guns because you cant fit an impact socket in there, etc. all this stuff breaks all the time no matter who makes it. and with a lenient lifetime warranty on craftsman for this stuff, you cant go wrong.

crafstman quality has really dropped off lately. i use tools quite alot building trucks, bikes, whatever but after breaking three craftsman drivers and having a shitty time exchanging them at local SEARs i said fuck it and started buying snap on, blue point, matco etc. don't regret it at all. i still have a good deal of craftsman sockets, wrenches etc but drivers, ratcheting screwdrivers etc all high dollar stuff, buy once cry once holds true with tools. you can buy 6 times at harbor freight or buy once with the snap on guy and pass it to your kids, lol.

I have a lot of craftsman tool at home, there quality (7-10 years old) is good enough for the around the house stuff. At work (electrical) I use all Kline & greenlee with snapon - craftsman sockets & wrenches. I had a 3/4 craftsman ratchet wrench fall apart on me with no hard use at all, just brought it back. I am slowley moving to snap on.

I dont know where crescent & chanelloks brands are made, but one of the guys has a bunch of there stuff and its decent for the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a search shows some snap on products are now imported </div></div>
They're not the only ones, Mac has taken a HUUUGE dive in quality over the last few years. Look @ a new flier and you'll be hard pressed to find something that isnt re-branded w a MAC logo on it. Ive had to warranty a few things and the quality of what i got back was way down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Craigslist is another great source. STOLEN Craftsman/Snap-On/etc. become new very easily..... </div></div>

Fixed it for you.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Craigslist is another great source. STOLEN Craftsman/Snap-On/etc. become new very easily..... </div></div>

Fixed it for you.
wink.gif
</div></div> Always a possibility when buying anything from someone who is not an actual dealer, and is also why I'm selective with who I do business with face to face. I've walked away a few times when it didn't "feel" right.

For drivers,wrenches and hand tools, Klein tools is a good source of made in U.S.A. products.

They do have a plant in Mexico, they say that most items produced in Mexico, are destined for Asian markets and Mexico. The only Mexican produced items common to the US are knock out punches.

They do import items such as multi meters from other countries.

One of the good things about Klein, is they have 8 plants in the US producing tools, and have never closed a plant down in the US, in their history

Thats too bad about MAC, I really liked their socket sets. I have been buying Snap-On for my work tools, and I use my old Craftsman stuff at home. However, Husky and Kobalt have pretty good stuff if you don't plan on using it all day every day.