• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

South African Surplus Ammo

Muttt

Sergeant
Minuteman
I haven't posted a stupid question in quite some time ..... so here goes .... LOL.

I got three battle packs of South African 7.62 ammo from a friend of mine. All the other stuff i've seen online has a different part number. This stuff is listed a M1A1 and that's about all I know about it. I'm assuming it's 147 gr. I was told by someone that it's Match grade ball ammo. My question is ..... does anyone have any knowledge of this?? Is there even such a thing (match grade SA ammo)??

Re: South African Surplus Ammo

Sounds like south african surplus with that headstamp. You dont find that around anymore. I had some portugesse surplus that was labeled as match but dont be fooled, they are not "match" compared to fgmm or black hills etc. It's good for blasting in the semi's or bolt but not for winning matches!

Mutt,

This is just standard ball ammo. I did a google. Hope this helps.

<span style="color: #990000">Examples of 7.62 x51 cartridges with R1M2 in the headstamp exist from 1981 to 1982. In 1983 RSA started using a two position headstamp - year at 12 o'clock, type at 6 o'clock. This change in headstamp layout appears to correspond with the change in designation from 7.62 R1M2 to M1A1 through M1A3.</span>

Hey Mutt, I shoot in South Africa from time to time (wife from SA) my buddy I shoot with over there has a .308, last time I was over he was using some match grade military ammo. He told me they were 150gr and were really impressive. He has a private range at the base of a mountain and was shooting steel and rocks past 500m with it consistently. I forget the mv he was getting but once again I remember it was pretty impressive. I don't think he uses it for matches (illegal) but I believe he would if he could. No idea what the headstamp is, but you may have some decent stuff.

I shot it yesterday. It held pretty good. But, with the stock on my SPS Tactical moving around so much on the bipod, I couldn't get any consistancy with anything.

I'll try again as soon as I change out that stock.

The SA surplus battle packs are great plinking ammo, but I sure wouldn't count on it being "match" grade.

I have fired many cases of that ammo over the years, it used to be $14 for 140 rds battle pack, those days are over.
I never had any kind of issues with it, it is defenitely not match but accurate enough to have with at all kinds of distances. In the early days of being very low prices, missing the target at 900 yds only meant shoot again.
this ammo functions fine in my SPR, AR10 FAl's and G3's but the cases are hard to extract in my TRG22 and TC encore.
do your own testing and enjoy it while it last.