• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos South Texas Blue Indigo 2

jcsguns

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2011
McAllen, Texas
Found this blue indigo in the middle of the road as I was leaving the ranch. Pulled him off the road, let the kids get a good look, and let him go safely into the brush. The rattler I killed at the ranch about two years ago. Big sucker!!

Re: South Texas Blue Indigo 2

Awesome pics, thanks! I'm curious about the snake boots you have on, do most rattlers strike below the knee area? Where is the most common spot on the leg they strike? Ankle? Foot? etc...

Aaaaah SHIT!!! Warn a guy next time, thats a frickin' huge thing TD!

First pic would be so much better if you were holding a beer. lol

Thanks for sharing.

hey rfutch, that sounds good but i stopped drinking two years ago. i go to aa meetings every thursday. i have a collection of chips in my sock drawer.

no! just kidding. i finished the beer at the ranch

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of snake is that Dave? I met one of those in the parking lot of the TBRC a couple years ago </div></div>

Gopher Snake. Looks some what like a rattlermbut actually rids the area of rats and mice. Not Alaskans with pale skin.

Back when Rifles Only had a PR II class with more of a "stalk"/fieldcraft component on the "other" RO property my partner and I chose a hide which happened to be a few feet from an Indigo Snake - as I recall it was about 3 feet long...I'm glad he knew what it was. It minded his business as we minded ours.

Love the snake.

We get a lot of snakes in the Northern Territory, Australia.

One trip back from Tennant Creek to Darwin I came across an injured black headed python lying in the middle of the Stuart Highway. (time was about 2am) I killed it as it had a broken back and took it home. Snake was about 12 feet long.

Once home (at 4am) I curled it up on the kitchen table with its head across its curls and went to bed.

You should have heard my wife's screams in the morning! Best alarm clock ever...

I used to Hunt close to Freer Texas and we had a few of these awesome snakes in our camp area. I saw one rattler in 5 years on our 1500 Acres

That indigo, or King snake, is a baby. We have several over 12' and one that will go at least 15' and is as big around as a soccer ball. They kill every rattlesnake they can find. Good snakes to have and very docile.

Indigos dont get that big.. 8.5 is probably the biggest theyll get. Bull snakes, in the Pituophis Family get bigger, or at least longer..

No way a 15' indigo.. No way..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LegioX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome pics, thanks! I'm curious about the snake boots you have on, do most rattlers strike below the knee area? Where is the most common spot on the leg they strike? Ankle? Foot? etc... </div></div>

The most common place I see snake bit is the hand. No kidding. Most of the time people are bit on the hand reaching for someting, sometimes reaching for the snake.
I use rockey snake boots like the pair he is wearing in the picture. The one time I was struck by a rattler it was at the ankle and did not penetrate my boot leather to the skin, close but no contact. I have seen calf bites twice in 20 years. Mostly hand and finger bites.

Thanks CrumpMD! I just won't bend over and I'll be fine.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakeleg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That indigo, or King snake, is a baby. We have several over 12' and one that will go at least 15' and is as big around as a soccer ball. They kill every rattlesnake they can find. Good snakes to have and very docile. </div></div>

Pics please.

okie

"ole blue" lives in the caved in cellar behind the old house at the deer lease. When it is really cold, he comes out and joins us around the campfire. He'll knock back a few shots of Patron to warm up. We occasionally shoot a mojado to feed him when all the rattlers are dug in for the winter. I'd be glad to shoot a pic, but then every blanket ass in the country would be hollering photo-shopped, so I'll just leave the invite open to come on down and meet him in person and enjoy some good South Texas hospitality.

Damn, dude, if he's that big he should be able to catch his own mojados. Now I'd <span style="font-style: italic">really</span> like to see a pic.

1911fan

My grandpa has a couple fang marks in the stock of his old 700 from a rattler near that size. Leaned the rifle against a rock shelf in the desert and the thing lunged at it, and I kid you not, got stuck in the stock. It was scary as hell then, but sure is funny looking back at it now.

Most people who get bit do so trying to kill the snakes with a stick or a rock. Thats what a sidearm with snakeshot is for.