• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

South Texas sun...and foundations...

Re: South Texas sun...and foundations...

...and no, I'm not selling shit to finance repair! I know you guys too well, I'd rather walk away from it with my sticks, and take a foreclose, then sell anything. Woohoo, now I can rent!

That sucks!! I have been watering every day and one side of the house the dirt has pulled away from the foundation. So far no damage to the foundation, but I'm scared; just bought the thing last month. I have heard they can be fixed. However, I don't know how good that would be.

I have been using soaker hoses every damn day. So far it looks like it is working. Need some rain pretty f'ing soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: netranger6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Welp, it's official. This fucking heat is destroying my slab, eventhough I water. </div></div>

Please humour a fella from Alaska, what is the deal with heat and foundations? Do you water around the base? Why?

The dirt where I am at is black gumbo. It's like a sponge. As the water evaporates the dirt shrinks and can shift your foundation which can lead to the foundation cracking. It's very expensive to fix.

Make sure you're watering AT least 18-24 inches away from your slab. The idea is for the soils that are drying under it, to pull the moisture, and soil, towards it. If you're watering right at the base, you may be causing accelerated damage.

Got some guys coming out to look, may not be as bad as I thought, but we're in a 60 year drought. Tell tale sign for me, is cracked mortar from a window, going "stair" stepped down the brick, to the slab. Gotta get the experts on it one way or the other, so I know if I'm all in or not.

Bottom line is, if worse case scenario, I can't afford to repair. Will have to walk away and take the hit. I called HUD, and everyone I could think of, but unless you're behind on mortgage or only make a certain amount, there isn't any help. I even called the "making home affordable" line, some new program under current administration. Couldn't understand a damn thing they said, other than, no help for you.

Maybe it's time to file the big "B".....and say f*&k it. Any suggestions fellas?

Just embrace it. It will still keep the rain off, just not as many bugs out. I have one built in the 1970s with cracks all over the place. Everything still works just fine.

We knew it when we bought the place though. Got a quote of 10K to fix it so we just had the seller knock it off the price. We knew from the start that we were going to leave it as is. Figured if we fixed it, it would just happen again anyways.

Back in the '80s I sat on a jury where a homeowner was suing the builder. The builder had poured the slab about 2 years before building on it. The ground had dried and cracked the slab within a year after construction.

One thing I remember from an engineer who testified is that the soil will dry up to 3 feet from the edge of the slab. One way to prevent the damage on an existing slab is to either pour a sidewalk or put in a flower bed with gravel or other serious ground cover at least 3 feet from the foundation. If the soil does dry in a drought it should only dry up to the slab.

Jim

The ground dried out enough at my place to let a fence post sink down and crack the watermain a couple weeks ago. Finally got it repaired but our water bill is gonna be close to 400$

It sux but i would not walk away and ruin your credit. There are alot of houses with foundation issues to one extreme or the other in south texas. U can still sell it or better yet rent it and have some side income. Just a thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RagnarDM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just embrace it. It will still keep the rain off, just not as many bugs out. I have one built in the 1970s with cracks all over the place. Everything still works just fine.

We knew it when we bought the place though. Got a quote of 10K to fix it so we just had the seller knock it off the price. We knew from the start that we were going to leave it as is. Figured if we fixed it, it would just happen again anyways. </div></div>

Thanks man, yeah this one was a 76' build. I'm a little calmer now, just gonna have to deal with it. Not like I'm paying a shit ton for a mortgage, but crap, I hate when things go bad. Let's take 2007, while I was at Ft.Bragg shipping out. Had to replace my septic, which involved capping off old well, drilling new one, and install an aerobic spray system....$10K...whamo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It sux but i would not walk away and ruin your credit. There are alot of houses with foundation issues to one extreme or the other in south texas. U can still sell it or better yet rent it and have some side income. Just a thought. </div></div>

What's credit worth nowadays? Nobody is lending anyway from I can see. Plus, the tax credit for mortgage interest and property tax are fixing to go bye bye next year. Really, a house isn't a good investment anymore in the current market. Of course, we didn't buy for an investment tool. Ah hell, guess I'm just having home owners shock, again.

People buy houses with foundation issues? I never would.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter McGavin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The dirt where I am at is black gumbo. It's like a sponge. As the water evaporates the dirt shrinks and can shift your foundation which can lead to the foundation cracking. It's very expensive to fix. </div></div>

Thanks Shooter, I've never heard of that before. Our foundation problems are caused by "frost heaves". You need to dig deep and backfill/compact gravel in a big way to avoid problems.

Unfortunately, Texas has some of the worst shrink/swell soils in the nation. If your slab is post-tensions, or REALLY think, you are in a better place than most. If you are super lucky, your home building actually drilled some piers for you that are also helping support your foundation. The PT will help keep your slab together if you lose support somewhere and help to minimize the cracking. The fact that your house is as old as it is, is a good thing, from a soils perspective. However, you can never dodge the bullet around the perimeter of your slab. Soils are a strange animal. What has been said before is correct. You want to wet the soil mass around the slab. Not just the soils in direct contact with the slab. How far back you need to go is kind of a function of if you are in sandy clays, clayey sands, etc. Three to six feet should be a winner regardless of material. I'm a licensed structural engineer here in Texas, and I have designed and analyzed foundations all over the state. This event that we are experiencing right now is a pure act of god. I'm not sure that even the most conservative design could anticipate this kind of drought.

I can see where the soil has shrunk and pulled away about an inch or two around the south and east sides of my home. It doesn't help that I also have a 5 foot retaining wall on the east side about 10 feet from my foundation. Guess I should have been using the soaker hoses a little more often this summer. I think we are at 53 days of 100* with only 1 rain all summer long. I've got huge, deep cracks all throughout my backyard and the Bradford Pears are dropping their leaves.
At our firearms training center the cracks in the rifle range will swallow your foot if you're not careful.

So what is everyone doing about it? I mean, what can we do? Is it even advisable to even start repair now, since the forecast is no significant rains until early 2012? I think by then, my entire house will have collapsed.

It is just part of doing business. Fix stuff when it needs fixing, not when it looks broken.

We looked at 30+ homes before buying the one were are in now. All were built in the 70-80s and all had foundations issues. My neighbors have them as well.

We did just have two water main leaks on our street so I know it is getting worse. The water guys said it happens all over.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: structureaggie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unfortunately, Texas has some of the worst shrink/swell soils in the nation. If your slab is post-tensions, or REALLY think, you are in a better place than most. If you are super lucky, your home building actually drilled some piers for you that are also helping support your foundation. The PT will help keep your slab together if you lose support somewhere and help to minimize the cracking. The fact that your house is as old as it is, is a good thing, from a soils perspective. However, you can never dodge the bullet around the perimeter of your slab. Soils are a strange animal. What has been said before is correct. You want to wet the soil mass around the slab. Not just the soils in direct contact with the slab. How far back you need to go is kind of a function of if you are in sandy clays, clayey sands, etc. Three to six feet should be a winner regardless of material. I'm a licensed structural engineer here in Texas, and I have designed and analyzed foundations all over the state. This event that we are experiencing right now is a pure act of god. I'm not sure that even the most conservative design could anticipate this kind of drought. </div></div>

You learn something new every day. I have never heard of this issue or imagined that you would have to water your foundation. 40 days above 100 degrees F. now in Texas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: structureaggie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unfortunately, Texas has some of the worst shrink/swell soils in the nation. If your slab is post-tensions, or REALLY think, you are in a better place than most. If you are super lucky, your home building actually drilled some piers for you that are also helping support your foundation. The PT will help keep your slab together if you lose support somewhere and help to minimize the cracking. The fact that your house is as old as it is, is a good thing, from a soils perspective. However, you can never dodge the bullet around the perimeter of your slab. Soils are a strange animal. What has been said before is correct. You want to wet the soil mass around the slab. Not just the soils in direct contact with the slab. How far back you need to go is kind of a function of if you are in sandy clays, clayey sands, etc. Three to six feet should be a winner regardless of material. I'm a licensed structural engineer here in Texas, and I have designed and analyzed foundations all over the state. This event that we are experiencing right now is a pure act of god. I'm not sure that even the most conservative design could anticipate this kind of drought. </div></div>

Isnt this what wire in the slab, and steel re-bar in the foudation, are supposed to prevent?

they only keep the concrete slap together on a level surface. well when the ground resides it creates cliffs or low spots on this level surface and its only a matter of time before it will shift.

I have marble floors cause my wife HAD to have them. Well these dont flex very well so in the office it has a several triangle pieces instead of all squares. I was raving mad when I saw them cracked

Floating laminate floors win in this region. Now, if they could only float on the walls and ceilings too.

Update:

Hired a structural engineer. Result is I have upheaval from a leak somewhere. Does not recommend fixing the pad though.

Hired a structural plumber. Result, Kitchen sink is not draining out, rather, the line must be broken and this is the exact area the elevation is higher causing upheaval.

On a positive note, this now plays into a foundation claim as it's due to a leak or seepage from a plumbing system.

Will post my experience with State Farm as it progresses.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: netranger6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Update:

Hired a structural engineer. Result is I have upheaval from a leak somewhere. Does not recommend fixing the pad though.

Hired a structural plumber. Result, Kitchen sink is not draining out, rather, the line must be broken and this is the exact area the elevation is higher causing upheaval.

On a positive note, this now plays into a foundation claim as it's due to a leak or seepage from a plumbing system.

Will post my experience with State Farm as it progresses. </div></div>

Good luck. Hope everything works out for you.