• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Southbend 14 for gunsmithing?

zack-s

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2008
Ohio
Just found out a family member has a southbend 14 and bridgeport mill. Would the lathe be good for threading barrels?

Re: Southbend 14 for gunsmithing?

Yes. Just has to be in good condition. It's a big lathe, but not to big if the price is right.

They suck. Please send to my house for proper disposal ...

laugh.gif

Not buying it. Just going to his house and using it when I want. Never used one so hes gonna help me practice on a few old barrels before I thread mine.

i just traded some labor at a machine shop (grunt work) for a old unused lathe. it is a south bend but that about all i know. the main thing that i see with my lathe that will be limiting is it only has a 3/4 inch threw hole so i wont be able to thread real heavy bull barrels, i think i will be able to thread barrels up to 28 inchs with a steady rest. im pretty excited to just learn the basics of what i need before buying a big nice lathe

42769vette,
Sounds like the 3/4" is a 9" or a light ten that is built on a 9" headstock. There is a very good manual for repair on ebay for these lathes, PM me if you want to get one and could not find one. I have a 70 year-old SB Model C 9 inch that I got for a great price that I am setting up for turning necks on brass.

Sorry to hijack the OP.

wade