• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Southern AZ shooters/matches

CommShotsAccrossAsia

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2020
First post here on SH,

Looking at moving to Sierra Vista from Queen Creek and wanted to see if there was any PRS or practical rifle type matches in southern AZ. I understand I can shoot out in the desert but was more interested hearing about the shooting community and local matches. Right now I shoot some of the matches matches in the valley (Rio Salado & Cow town) and they are a blast. If needed I can drive back up the valley for matches but would prefer not to.

There's the county range in Tucson which shoots out to 200 yards. There's another range in Oro Valley that reaches to 200 yards as well.

If you are up to a drive, there's a range in 3 points that goes up to 1k yards, and a few ranges with steel at distances to 500 yards. I've heard of various matches there, but I've never shot at them.

The Oro Valley range hosts a lot of matches, from pistol to 2 and 3 gun matches.

The Tucson range doesn't do matches last I saw, but it's a decent range.

Been a while but in 91, yes 1991 there was a gun club outside of Sierra Vista. When I ETS'd they were working on pushing out to 1000 yards.

There was also a club outside of Tombstone. Could shoot out to 500 yards.

Tagging in to see if there's anything else new starting up down in the SV area. I'll be back that way in about a year, so hopefully more stuff pops up. When I was there last, they shortened the SV range down to 425yds (from 600) and there weren't any centerfire LR matches in the area. The nearest centerfire match was the F-Class stuff in Tucson. It would be great to not have to drive up to PHX each month for CowTown but if that's what it takes to get to pew at a match, then so be it.

...Then again, if there's enough of us down in SV, we could always load up the trucks with steel and do our own matches in the desert. Loser gets their kidneys sold to the cartel and winner gets to pick the cartel.

I was just in SV about 2 weeks ago. I was did some training at FT Huachuca back in the mid 90's and wanted to take the wife back there someday. Driving North to SV from Tombstone I noticed there was a rifle range roughly 10 miles outside of SV. I wanted to check it out but didnt. Love the Southern AZ area from Tucson down to Tombstone. Actually ALL of AZ was great.

I was just in SV about 2 weeks ago. I was did some training at FT Huachuca back in the mid 90's and wanted to take the wife back there someday. Driving North to SV from Tombstone I noticed there was a rifle range roughly 10 miles outside of SV. I wanted to check it out but didnt. Love the Southern AZ area from Tucson down to Tombstone. Actually ALL of AZ was great.
If that was 10 miles east, that was the SV rifle range. It's a great little range. Low cost for all day and isn't that bad on the weekend. Most clear out by 11am in the summer and there's maybe two people there during the week. Great little range that could only be made better if it went out farther.

I checked out the Sierra Vista Range facebook as their website seems to be down and it looks like most of the matches are bench rest type matches with some AR and pistol matches in there as well. Their facebook calendar was 2 years old though so who knows...

I agree with what Reaper said, I'm sure we could get a few guys together and run some sweet stages out in the desert or maybe even talk with the local range about putting on our own match, assuming there's enough participants.