• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Southern Idaho new years day shoot

Re: Southern Idaho new years day shoot

Long range Tactical Match January 1,2013

Location, Hunt Idaho 20 miles north of Twin Falls Idaho.
Time, 9:00 AM Safety briefing match starts 9:30 AM.
Target ranges, 90 – 1200+ yards.
Target sizes, 6’ disks to 18” x 24” rectangles.
Round count, Recommend 80 rounds ammo.

Match is on private land in a natural environment.

This match is limited to 20 shooters. To reserve your position at this match email [email protected]

I do not check my PM's very often so email is best.

still have room for this, number of open spots, if there are any? Thanks.

My favorite group of guys to shoot with, I’m looking forward to this match.

January 1, 2013
Fourth Annual Chosen Frozen New Years Day Rifle Match.

This year’s match will have target ranges from 30 yards to 1200+ yards.

Shooters will be divided into 2 man teams with each team member taking equal turns as shooter & spotter. Each team will shoot the course of fire twice.

Each team will need safety glasses, hearing protection, a spotting scope and 1 rifle for each shooter.

During the match the long range targets (600-1200+ yards) will be engaged first with a generous time limit for the long distance shots. Then multiple targets from
30- 500 yards must be engaged with the fastest time to hit all ten targets getting the best score. For the timed portion the spotter may also shoot along with the long range shooter. All targets must be hit before the clock stops.

Bring a partner or come alone and we will match you up with some one.

Limited walking is required (400 yards) to shoot this match.
You must pack everything that you will need to shoot the match with you for that 400 yards distance.

Scoring for long range targets (500-1200+)
First round hit = 5 points
Second round hit = 3 points
Third round hit = 1 point

We still have a few spots open

Jerry,
How many rounds per shooter or team do you anticipate?

So would it be OK to shoot this like a true sniper/spotter team? By that I mean one heavy sniper rifle & one gas gun? In the real world I am told team members routinely switch back & forth. Is that what you have in mind, or do each of us have to stick to the same rifle?

Shoot the match any way you want.

One gas gun and one bolt gun is a real world way to solve the problem and is common in the sniper world.

In the sand box I saw British teams that the sniper had a bolt gun and both spotter and sniper carried a gas gun. I even saw a team that had 2 gas guns and 2 bolt guns.
If you want to carry 2 rifles each that is ok with me. You just have to carry everything with you . No trips back to your car or truck during the match.
Use whatever combo that will work for you and your partner.

Remember the priorities of our shoots are

1 Be Safe
2 learn as much as you can
3 have fun and enjoy the friendly competition

All the shooters that have attended our past shoots have been fun to be around. We have had top shooters helping average shooters and everyone helping the new shooters.
We will have a warming trailer and hot chili so no one will have to use a truck to warm up in.

Manny shooters do not get into the field in the winter except at the range. This shoot will give shooters a chance to test their winter gear and see what works. The June match had lots of rain and wind. It was a test of gear and determination. The shooters with good rain gear did OK, the guys with average and poor rain gear were miserable

That was one of the only times I wished my shooting mat wasn't water proof. I ended up shooting in a 4" swimming pool of ice water. It made the 1200 yard steel sporting trying to time your trigger pull between shivers.

Is there a caliber restriction (on the small side)? Only have 1 rifle at the moment and it is a small, very fast caliber...shooting 55 grain bullets. Yet to see it harm quality steel, but thought I should ask.

How many spots are still available?

I am warming up to the idea of traveling to your match and freezing my ass off. I'm in SLC so I'll probably make it if I head out of here at 5am. If you still have a slot I'll take it.
I didn't see entry fee cost... do I need to send in or bring with me? Let me speak with my team mate and see if I can con him into going with me.

Christian

Some shooters are stressing over the 1400 yd target.
We will take a vote and if most people do not want the 1400 yard target to count for score we will make it to count only as a tiebreaker and for everyone to shoot at just for fun

I plan on using my 308 for the match. the 1400yd target may be beyond my range with the .308 but for the time factor that will also be part of the match I think the 308 may make up what it louses to better long range cartrages. I am not sure that in the overall score what caliber will have the advantage. My hope in setting this match up is that a guy with a 338 Lapua will have the same chance of winning as a guy with a 308 gas gun.

The 2 longest targets are 1182 and 1404. but there are 10 other targets that are between 400 and 1100 yards.

When the timed part of the shoot happens both the spotter and long range shooter can both shoot. so a fast shooting long range shooter will help make up points.

Remember our matches are run so every one has fun and hopefully all of us will learn at the same time.

One last thought. a shooter that has his clothing and equipment together will out shoot a shooter that is using a better long range caliber but does not have his gear well orginized.

Looking to shooting with everyone.

Thanks again for putting on this shoot, my wife and I had a great time!!

This Year’s Frozen Chosen long range tactical match team winners.
We had 3 stages with a total of 33 targets. Ranges from 30 yards out to 1220 yards
1st place 130 points Brian E & Jerrod S
Brian shot a 6.5 Creedmoor, Hornady Factory match ammo with 140 grain A-Max,McRee Stock , Krieger barrel, US Optics scope with Mill scale MPR
Jerrod S shot a 6.5 Creedmoor ,Hornady factory match ammo with 140 grain Amax, McRee Stock, Krieger barrel,US Optics scope with MD MOA

2nd place 129 points Brad G and Dave W
3rd place 124 points Coy B And Tony D

1st place individual shooter Jim Mack with all first round hits. Jim was shooting a 300 WSM with a US Optics scope with GA precision retical

It was cold with 6” of fresh snow on the ground. The temperature started with a low of -8F. During the day it warmed up to +19.

We want to say thank you to MGM targets.
Thanks to all the shooters that chose to be frozen and made this year’s match fun.

Thanks Jerry,
The match and chili were again great.
Dave W

RMXT would like to Thank Jerry and is son. You fellows sincerely put time and love into the match. It was good to meet new faces and again see old faces. .... That didnt come out right. Everyone was friendly and got along well.

The initial, almost unbearable cold temps really opened my eyes as to how to wear cold weather gear. It was good to see the already organized Idaho Shooting community continue to grow.

Jerry, had a great time at the shoot...thanks for putting it together. Weather was not for the faint of heart but at least we didn't get the central southern Idaho winds. -8 degrees will test any and all equipment. Good to see the lady shooters making a showing again this year. Again, I appreciate your efforts and we had a great time.

TonyD