• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Southwest Airlines and rifle cases

9H_Cracka

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2005
WAY off base (COS CO)
SWA's luggage policies clearly state the bags over 62" combined are oversized. My im3200 is slightly over this.

Any direct experience with them would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Southwest Airlines and rifle cases

Have flown them before and never had a problem with a Starlight. Usually they don't mess with rifle cases and the 62" combined rule. Just don't bring it up to them when you check in and check it like any bag but just tell them it's a rifle so they can get you to sign the declaration.

Does Southwest have any issue with a rifle and pistol in the same case?

no, but ammo has to be in a different case

You can have ammo in the locked case as long as it is in a approved container. No loaded mag. I have flown SWA for several years with ammo in my case, no problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Olson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no, but ammo has to be in a different case </div></div>

From SWA's web site:

"The ammunition may be placed in the same container as the firearm"

Just be sure and have the ammo in the box you bought it in or in a case designed to carry it. Don't have a loaded mag. Personal experience.

I fly with Starlight cases, and tend to stick with SWA if I can. Like Rob, I've had zero problems, and the length has never come up at all. I also flew with 4 loaded AICS mags in the case...they didn't even look, thankfully. SWA is a great airline for us competitors...my good friend had nothing but problems flying to Score High last year on AA, while SWA gave me zero issues.

I also shipped my ammo via ups beforehand, FWIW.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just be sure and have the ammo in the box you bought it in or in a case designed to carry it. Don't have a loaded mag. Personal experience. </div></div>

From SWA's web site:

"Magazines or clips containing ammunition must be securely packaged (placed in another small box or in a secure cutout in the carrying case, in order to protect the primer of the ammunition). "

and

"Loose ammunition or loose loaded magazines and/or clips are not allowed."

My partner and I flew out to TX on Southwest last Oct. with the large Pelican rifle cases. Guns, ammo etc all in the case. Zero problems.

Although Im a huge fan of Southwest and fly them mostly, I have flown US Airways for 4 years to hunt in PA. I have never had a problem with them either. Ammo and Rifle in Pelican case. I put the ammo in a plastic shell case with unloaded mags and no one has given it a second thought.

Matter of fact this year the ticket agent is the only one who inspected the case, threw the orange ticket in there and said "Lock it" TSA never winked.

If I am transporting the rifle and ammo in separate hard cases, should the hard case containing the ammo be locked with personal keys or combination?

Doesn't need to be. I toss boxes of ammo in my luggage.

I flew southwest to the finalie. No issues

I packed 100 rounds in my rifle case and 125 in with my checked bag. Tape the boxes of ammo good.

I was concerned with having over 11lbs of ammo. Never was a issue