• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Southwest ULR - Oct 7, 2018 Match Results, TopGun Tu Nguyen .416 Barrett

ScottYo308

Private
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2014

It was raining hard and flash flood warnings were activated the night before. Shortly after sunrise the wind picked up and was gusting over 30 MPG. This made a normally windy day look calm. Tu Nguyen overcame the elements and connected with 2, 3-in-a-row impacts at 2117 yards, this stage performance and 4 hits at 1730 yards is an great performance in normal conditions but in the massive wind was truly exceptional. Tu is shooting a Desert Tech HTI chambered in .416 Barrett, with Nightforce optics, a custom bipod with hand loaded ammo. This combo was shot from modified massage table. We are all going to need our “A” game next month to unseat the current SouthWest ULR Top Gun, Tu Nguyen.

Our next match is November 4th, we will have 3 40x40 targets (2650-1750 yards), and 3 full sets of electronics. Final details (exact location, COF, weather report) will be emailed out Wednesday before the match. You can plan on the Barstow area and going hot at Sunrise (a little after 7AM). Novice and first time shooters, after the match we will spend as much time with you as you need to get comfortable and dialed in for the next match. Register Now, at www.southwestULR.com final directions, time and Course of Fire will be sent out Wednesday before the match.

We are also on facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/1021525754673338/

Starting in 2019…

Radelow Blades, Spring Series by Southwest ULR

Southwest ULR is proud to announce our series sponsor Radelow Blades. Radelow Blades, radelowblades.com, is a custom knife maker and has graciously donated a custom one of a kind knife to the 2019 Southwest ULR spring series champion. Beginning January 6th 2019 and through June 2nd 2019 points accumulated through your best 5 matches from the following Southwest ULR events (January 6th, February 3rd, March 3rd, April 7th, May 5th and June 2nd) put you in contention to win this awesome prize. The highest point total wins this custom knife. The knife will be awarded at our super long range match on June 2nd, right before Ko2m.

Vortex Optics, Fall Series by Southwest ULR

This series starts a month after and the prize is a Vortex Gen 2 Razor scope graciously donated by Vortex Optics
More details to come.

Good luck Ultra Long Range Shooters!

As always huge thanks to our sponsors
Radelow Blades, Spring Series
Vortex Optics, Spring Series
Precision Arms (in Escondido CA)
Snipetac (www.snipetac.com)

Seems like 416B is gaining popularity,
Should of kept mine,

Attachments

• 416B.jpg
    416B.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Reactions: sllsll
well I can say that the .416 Barrett with SouthWest ULR is popular for a few reasons

1) Barrett RAUG brass is adequate, its not the highest quality but after a sort and fire-form its good stuff.
2) The M99 with a few simple bolt-ons and trigger job is a relatively turn key, capable and relatively inexpensive.
3) Factory ammo availability.
4) John at Precision Arms is one of the promoters, a Barrett dealer, and is sharing data with everyone.

well I can say that the .416 Barrett with SouthWest ULR is popular for a few reasons

1) Barrett RAUG brass is adequate, its not the highest quality but after a sort and fire-form its good stuff.
2) The M99 with a few simple bolt-ons and trigger job is a relatively turn key, capable and relatively inexpensive.
3) Factory ammo availability.
4) John at Precision Arms is one of the promoters, a Barrett dealer, and is sharing data with everyone.

Is that a DT HTI your holding there?...never mind,read the rest of your post..lol
Raug brass is not bad,you can always form your own from RWS 50bmg,however it's a lot of work.
Good luck on your next match..and hats off to the DT HTI.

Last edited:
Well thank you for a well run great match!! Very happy I improved over my first match and the really good weather once again made the .338LM competitive with the big bores. With the history of wind I think the decision to shoot the farthest target first was really smart and kept all shooters engaged the whole match. Great job well done.

Well thank you for a well run great match!! Very happy I improved over my first match and the really good weather once again made the .338LM competitive with the big bores. With the history of wind I think the decision to shoot the farthest target first was really smart and kept all shooters engaged the whole match. Great job well done.
And you saw how the 338 Lapua owned it right. It's not easy, but possible.

Last edited: