• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Soviet Typhoon-3 rifle [ Тайфун-3 ] - search for information

PMB27

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2023
Poland
I wonder if there are Colleagues who might have knowledge about Soviet Typhoon-3 rifle [ Тайфун-3 ]?
According to quite limited Russian web sources Typhoon-3 rifles were produced from 1969 till 1979 and only 130 rifles in total were manufactured. A pair of rimfire and centrefire rifles were designed - Typhoon-1 in 7,62x54r and Typhoon-3 in .22 LR. They were suposed to be used by top level sport shooters in USSR - it was not the rifle for recerational shooting at sport clubs for amateurs.
Тайфун-1 production data.png

Тайфун-3 production data.png

I happen to acquire a Typhoon-3 rifle, unfortunately without original documents, manual, factory accessories - there is even no story to buy- no info about the rifle's past, where was used, by whom, how it get to Poland - nothing.
When looking at the rifle, it turned out that it has mismatched serial numbers - receiver and bolt have M247 serial number, while the handguard and stock have "1202", the base of the front sight is also marked with s/n "1202" (?!), while the rearsight has s/n "235" - so it seems that it is a Frankenstein assembled from 3-4 different rifle parts :cry:

The beast is so rare that despite those faults I decided to buy it anyway.

What I would like to know? First - it there were only 130 rifles produced how my rifle can have s/n M 247? How do they numbered the rifles? There is no manufacture date stamped but I guess my rifle should be from the late production period. In UK there is a Typhoon-3 rifle with s/n M 060. Was there an export version of Typhoon-3? My rifle is marked on the top of the receiver "MADE IN USSR VOSTOK <ГИС> M247" - if only top Soviet shooters were to get that rifles why bother to mark it in English? What about the stock serial number - it should match the rifle - mine has a "huge" serial number 1202 - what was the pattern in stock markings for Typhoon-3?

Here is my Typhoon/Frankenstein :
Typhoon-3 M247 1202.jpg

I'll be grateful for any info concerning Typhoon-3 production batches, markings etc.

You might want to post this in the Vintage section. There are people there that have a wealth of information concerning rare rifles.

Reactions: RTH1800
I wonder if there are Colleagues who might have knowledge about Soviet Typhoon-3 rifle [ Тайфун-3 ]?
According to quite limited Russian web sources Typhoon-3 rifles were produced from 1969 till 1979 and only 130 rifles in total were manufactured. A pair of rimfire and centrefire rifles were designed - Typhoon-1 in 7,62x54r and Typhoon-3 in .22 LR. They were suposed to be used by top level sport shooters in USSR - it was not the rifle for recerational shooting at sport clubs for amateurs.
View attachment 8178984

View attachment 8178985
I happen to acquire a Typhoon-3 rifle, unfortunately without original documents, manual, factory accessories - there is even no story to buy- no info about the rifle's past, where was used, by whom, how it get to Poland - nothing.
When looking at the rifle, it turned out that it has mismatched serial numbers - receiver and bolt have M247 serial number, while the handguard and stock have "1202", the base of the front sight is also marked with s/n "1202" (?!), while the rearsight has s/n "235" - so it seems that it is a Frankenstein assembled from 3-4 different rifle parts :cry:

The beast is so rare that despite those faults I decided to buy it anyway.

What I would like to know? First - it there were only 130 rifles produced how my rifle can have s/n M 247? How do they numbered the rifles? There is no manufacture date stamped but I guess my rifle should be from the late production period. In UK there is a Typhoon-3 rifle with s/n M 060. Was there an export version of Typhoon-3? My rifle is marked on the top of the receiver "MADE IN USSR VOSTOK <ГИС> M247" - if only top Soviet shooters were to get that rifles why bother to mark it in English? What about the stock serial number - it should match the rifle - mine has a "huge" serial number 1202 - what was the pattern in stock markings for Typhoon-3?

Here is my Typhoon/Frankenstein :
View attachment 8178986

I'll be grateful for any info concerning Typhoon-3 production batches, markings etc.
What you have may be a Ural 5-1
This excerpt from Rifles of the World:

Attachments

• IMG_7832.jpeg
    IMG_7832.jpeg
    899.2 KB · Views: 45
What you have may be a Ural 5-1
This excerpt from Rifles of the World:
This based purely on your pic. Is there any writing on the front receiver ring? It sorta resembles a TOZ 61

My rifle is Typhoon-3 ( but the diopter sight is not an early version side mount but late top mount possibly "Ural" diopter )

Тайфун-3 Ostrołeka.png

Ural-5 ( top ) my Typhoon-3 ( bottom )
Ural-5 vs Typhoon-3.png

Reactions: ZG47A and obx22
I have shared your post on my Facebook group. With members from over 80 countries hopefully someone can contribute information.
Good luck

That is a sharp looking rifle! Have you taken it out and shot it yet?

Those old rifles are typically built like tanks and will shoot very well.

I know a while back Rimfire Central use to have quite the selection of foreign made rifle threads. There use to be a ton of information over there, not so sure any more though.

Last edited:
Reactions: obx22
you also might try to get info on gunboards.com. a lot of knowledge over there on east block weapons. there were a number of east block match,precision and sniper rifles that aren't very well know in US.

I've asked about my Typhoon-3 on gunboards.com - so far no additional information. The biggest disappointment is that on Forum.guns.ru ( country of origin of the Typhoon-3 ) there is no feedback on that rifle - I thought that there they would have more info.

Haven't been to the range yet. I'm looking forward to it, but first I have to finish the formalities with registering the gun. I've ordered the new set of inserts for the front sight - a copy of Vostok set with diameter 16,60mm. Right now I have only one insert - the one which was already installed in the front sight - I guess that is 2,6 or even 2,8
Typhoon-3 front sight insert.jpg

Once I got the whole set of inserts to try I'll take my Typhoon to the range.

I guess that you are perfectly aware that Typhoon rifles have so called "set trigger" - after setting, just a delicate brush of the trigger is enough. I have to adapt to it to avoid situation when I shot too soon :)

The front part of the trigger guard is a trigger set lever - first the shooter must push it forward to set the trigger. Then a gentle touch and rifle fires.
Typhoon-3 set trigger lever.jpg

nothing on gun boards-bummer. good luck with it and report what you find. i beleive that at 1 time the russians made steel cased match 22. prob none around but would wonder whether these were made for using steel case.

Last edited:
Are the bores chrome lined ?
Do the bolts have 4 lugs ?
Certainly an interesting rifle.

For the sport precision rifles I do not think they chrome lined the barrels - I can answer for the rimfire version Typhoon-3 - it is not chrome lined. For centrefire rifles Typhoon-1 ( 7,62x54r ) and Typhoon-2 ( 6,5 mm ) I do not know if the decided to chrome lined the barrels. Rather not but that is my guess.

As for the bolt - for the rimfire Typhoon-3 the bolt has 3 lugs.
Typhoon-3 bolt lugs.png

Reactions: ZG47A and obx22
I took it to the range today and have to admit that I'm somehow disappointed - by my performance and by Typhoon's performance, by accessories, by ammo. I expected better results - despite a "budget" ammo - I thought that such thick barrel will manage with popular munition. It seems not to be the case. I more or less zeroed the scope at 100m, doing so, I encountered problems with the set trigger - after 5-6 shots it did not engage properly. Perhaps it was set by previous owner too light, too sensitive - I'm not used to set triggers and that's why I had problem with it and several unexpected misfire. That made me narvous. Second problem was with hook butt plate - my first experience with it and with the sitting fire position and bipod - that was not a very convenient. Chinese copy of Versa Pod was not so good - the bipod was not stable, the spacing of the bipod legs is too small and with a heavy rifle any tilt could cause a capsize.
Loading single cartridges is a nightmare - the chamber is designed without a slide or a ramp - you must place the cartridge precisely in the chamber - any bevel or tilt and there is no chance of correct loading.
Typhoon-3 chamber.jpg

Plus it was 30 degrees Celsius🥵
I tested Federal Champion ( 40 grain solid - 1240 fps ), American Eagle HV ( 40 grain solid ), Sieller&Bellot Standard ( 40 grs ) and SK Standard.
Distance : 100m
With 5-shots group only with Federal Champion I got close to 1 MOA:
Typhoon-3 100m Federal Champion VOMZ 10x42LF - 1.06 MOA.jpg

With 10-shots group it was "huge" 1,61 MOA
Typhoon-3 100m Federal Champion VOMZ 10x42LF - 1.63 MOA 10 shots group.jpg

Conclusions:
I need more training to get familiar with that rifle - especially its trigger ( perhaps I should make it less sensitive - it is a difficult task without original manual - there are 3 screws to control the trigger settings - how many turns of each to set it properly? Try and error method is not the best option ).
I need to get rid of chinese VersaPod bipod - that is a mistake. I might think about different buttplate - without the hook.
I have to get better quality ammo - with that rifle a subMOA group is a must.

Last edited:
I took it to the range today and have to admit that I'm somehow disappointed - by my performance and by Typhoon's performance, by accessories, by ammo. I expected better results - despite a "budget" ammo - I thought that such thick barrel will manage with popular munition. It seems not to be the case. I more or less zeroed the scope at 100m, doing so, I encountered problems with the set trigger - after 5-6 shots it did not engage properly. Perhaps it was set by previous owner too light, too sensitive - I'm not used to set triggers and that's why I had problem with it and several unexpected misfire. That made me narvous. Second problem was with hook butt plate - my first experience with it and with the sitting fire position and bipod - that was not a very convenient. Chinese copy of Versa Pod was not so good - the bipod was not stable, the spacing of the bipod legs is too small and with a heavy rifle any tilt could cause a capsize.
Loading single cartridges is a nightmare - the chamber is designed without a slide or a ramp - you must place the cartridge precisely in the chamber - any bevel or tilt and there is no chance of correct loading.
View attachment 8184868

I tested Federal Champion ( 40 grain solid - 1240 fps ), American Eagle HV ( 40 grain solid ), Sieller&Bellot Standard ( 40 grs ) and SK Standard.
View attachment 8184846
View attachment 8184847

Conclusions:
I need more training to get familiar with that rifle - especially its trigger ( perhaps I should make it less sensitive - it is a difficult task without original manual - there are 3 screws to control the trigger settings - how many turns of each to set it properly? Try and error method is not the best option ).
I need to get rid of chinese VersaPod bipod - that is a mistake. I might think about different buttplate - without the hook.

Greetings, I was in a local German shooting Club during the 70's, and the Gunsmith was from East Germany, and had experience with E German, and Russian firearms. He would monthly flush the trigger assemblies with unleaded gas, followed by thin firearms oil. Today I think brake cleaner spray, followed by Rem Oil, or similar would work well. Regards

View attachment 8184868

View attachment 8184846
View attachment 8184847

Conclusions:
I guess my first recommendation would be to slug the barrel to determine if it’s worth the effort of trying a bunch of different tuning and ammo types.
My experience with Russian rimfires is limited to firing several versions of the Izhmash Biathlon Basic, and a Tula? bolt gun belonging to a friend. The Biathlon bores are chromed and have a funnel shaped crown. The examples I have are great with cheap ammo, so no complaints on accuracy.
If yours slugs tight then I’d try some better ammo like Eley, Nammo made like Lapua, Fiocchi, or RWS and see if one of those performs well.
Sorry but I haven’t been able to source any other information for you.

Hooray, it turns out the rifle wasn't to blame!
It's a bit of me as the shooter, the previous bipod and "plinking" ammo which led to so poor result as posted earlier.
With Eley Benchrest Precision 40g, new bipod and more careful aiming and trigger adjustment ( no missfire at all, I made the trigger a little bit less sensitive and the set trigger mechanism this time worked flawlessly ) Typhoon gave me 0,67 MOA at 100m for 5-shots group - and still there is a room for improvement - mostly for the shooter :)
Typhoon-3 Pilad 10x42LF Fortmeier.jpg

Typhoon-3 100m Eley Benchrest VOMZ 10x42LF.jpg

Last edited:
May I ask why You consider 22 LR Eley Benchrest Precision a terrible ammo? Technically, it's semi-auto ammo, not for repeating rifle like my Typhoon-3, but for benchrest shooting anyway. I know that Eley Tenex would be better but is much more expensive.

• Haha
Reactions: Turbo2