• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors sparrow silencer owners

1shot2kill

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2008
north dakota
i have a sig mosquito that i want to quiet down would like to get feedback from owners of the sparrows to see how quiet with and without subsonic ammo they are also wet/dry feedback

Re: sparrow silencer owners

1shot, I have the SS Sparrow, I don't have a Sig. I have mounted the Sparrow on Ruger MkIII, GSG1911, P22, S&W 15-22 and a Savage MKII TR. Have found the Sparrow to be very quite, with slightly louder first round pop. Mounted on the Savage MKII TR while shooting at a indoor range, I could hear the round going thru the paper target. Check out the videos at SilencerCo to see sound tests. I haven't tried any subsonic rounds yet, nor have I shot it wet. I do have some wire pulling gel I got at Home Depot. I have to go to Idaho to shoot my supressors, but after July 24th, I can shoot them in Washington state. Like the fact it is easy to take apart and clean in a ultra sonic tank.

I dont have a sig mosquito, but I run both the Sparrow and SS Sparrow on my Sig P220 .22lr conversation. It is very quiet with standard ammo. when shooting steel the strike is loader then the report of the Sig. I also run mine in a Walther and can't tell any noticeable difference between the the two. I haven't had much luck with subsonic ammo. more spendie for not that much more bang(or less bang), I would suggest a good quality ammo. I use CCI or a least a good copper coated(painted) jacketed brand.I also run both of them on a GSG5 9" barreled SBR works great. it is a bite loader then the pistols but fun to shoot.

The plate being shot at is a self healing rubber kind, so don't expect to hear a "ping" after each shot. 3 different .22lr pistols (on is a Mosquito) and two different cans.

<iframe width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SBJiIFVk5ms" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you wait until his video is over then click on the one of Liberty vs Spectre vs Sparrow, you can get an idea of what I have experienced with my 2 .22 suppressors.

I have both an SWR Spectre and a new SS Sparrow.

In shooting the Spectre and SS Sparrow side-by-side; using CCI STD velocity ammo and the Sparrow on my Ruger MK III 22/45 4" bbl and the Spectre on my Ruger Mk II with 6" Tac-Sol bbl, to my ear, the Spectre has a lower pitch in sound and a much more muted and lower tone.

The SS Sparrow has a perceptable FRP (first round pop)with the CCI STD velocity whereas the Spectre (to me) there is almost no difference between the first shot and all subsequent shots.

I also shot them both on my Sig 522 using Federal bulk pack (not subsonic) as well as the CCI STD velocity. I was surprised by the first round pop of the Fed bulk pack through the cold SS Sparrow, almost like it wasn't suppressed. All subsequent shots the muzzle blast was quiet (but you still have the supersonic crack). This was not the case with my SWR Spectre shooting it cold. The first shot was the same as the rest.

Over on the SilencerTalk forum, there are guys advocating using a little nose spray bottle to give the Sparrow a couple of spritzes of water to alleviate the FRP. Personally I don't want to have to worry about "spritzing" anything in the can before shooting!

The Sparrow is great if you want the features of easy take apart design for cleaning. My Specter came with the handy take-down tool so it isn't a problem either. It is also lighter than the SWR Spectre but my 11 and 13 y/o Boys don't have limp wrists and have never said anything regarding the weight of the Spectre until we got the Sparrow, then they mentioned that there was a slight difference. Given my first hand experience of shooting both suppressors, if I could only have one .22 suppressor, I would have the Spectre.

I will keep the Sparrow and only shoot subsonic ammo, that combo works fine!

The next .22 suppressor will be an AAC Element.

I have the SS Sparrow. I have shot it through a P22, 10/22, and the threaded Savage bolt action (mark 2?).

When shooting rifles, most use CCI Standard Velocity. The subsonic stuff kinda sucks as its 60 grains and most 22s are 1-16 twist. The result is poor accuracy.

The Savage Bolt is spooky quiet, and the 10/22 just sounds like you racked the slide with the CCI SV.

As for pistols, they say that if the barrel is shorter than 4" you will stay subsonic shooting any ammo. I have found this to be true in every ammo type except CCI Stingers.

I am very happy with my Sparrow. However, I just shot a Huntertown Guardian 22 can. It sounded very nice, has a very slick take apart design, and is half the money. I see one of these in my future as well.

Hope this helps.

thanks for the info i am very interested in the stainless sparrow and i am planning on buying one just wanted to get some good feedback

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are earplugs needed when shooting standard velocity ammo </div></div>

Never have seen a 22LR can where you need hearing protection for shooting any type of 22LR ammo. Have a friend with a crappy Form 1 can that doesn't even need hearing protection.

I use CCI Standard Velocity for most of my suppressed shooting and it's the only round I use through my CZ452.

Also, Standard Velocity is around 1070 fps which is subsonic above 20 degrees F. Lots of folks who think "Standard Velocity" mean "Normal" Walmart-type ammo which is High Velocity ammo...typically at 1200-1300 fps. You'll still have the sonic crack out of a rifle but it won't be that loud. May or may not have sonic crack with a pistol depending upon barrel length.

Bottom line, it would be one seriously crappy 22LR can that wouldn't be hearing safe. 22LR cans are the only suppressors that are usually "Hollywood Quiet".

-David
Edgewood, NM

I bought the aluminum Sparrow and am very happy with it. I got a great price from the "MAJOR" and couldn't be happier. All I shoot is the Wolf M/T through my 10/22 and my Mark II, so it is super quiet.

On my P22 with 3.4" bbl, it shoots the Wal-Mart bulk stuff very quietly. No regrets here...

Will the walthers or Mosquitos cycle reliably with subsonic ammo withe can on ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will the walthers or Mosquitos cycle reliably with subsonic ammo withe can on ? </div></div>

Not mine. My mosquito will not cycle subs with a can at all. Doesn't matter which recoil spring is in the gun,,,
frown.gif

The P22 will cycle, the Mosquito is very ammo sensative.

Through the short barrels even high velicity ammo is subsonic.

Some subsonic ammo is low pressure and won't seal the case to the chamber walls and is louder from ejection port pop than high pressure ammo that seals.

I can't speak for the mosquito but I have the P22 w/new ss sparrow and absolutely have a riot with it. I wish the P22 were bigger like the mosquito but it shoots great no matter what ammo i'm using, subsonic or high velocity. There is a difference in sound between the two but i don't have a decibal reader to tell you what it is and I'm with David H. in that even the high velocity stuff in the short handgun barrel isn't supersonic. My sparrow is one of my favorite cans to shoot.

good to hear my dealer should have the stainless sparrows instock in the next few weeks i plan on getting one

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LOBL202</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you wait until his video is over then click on the one of Liberty vs Spectre vs Sparrow, you can get an idea of what I have experienced with my 2 .22 suppressors.

I have both an SWR Spectre and a new SS Sparrow.

In shooting the Spectre and SS Sparrow side-by-side; using CCI STD velocity ammo and the Sparrow on my Ruger MK III 22/45 4" bbl and the Spectre on my Ruger Mk II with 6" Tac-Sol bbl, to my ear, the Spectre has a lower pitch in sound and a much more muted and lower tone.

The SS Sparrow has a perceptable FRP (first round pop)with the CCI STD velocity whereas the Spectre (to me) there is almost no difference between the first shot and all subsequent shots.

I also shot them both on my Sig 522 using Federal bulk pack (not subsonic) as well as the CCI STD velocity. I was surprised by the first round pop of the Fed bulk pack through the cold SS Sparrow, almost like it wasn't suppressed. All subsequent shots the muzzle blast was quiet (but you still have the supersonic crack). This was not the case with my SWR Spectre shooting it cold. The first shot was the same as the rest.

Over on the SilencerTalk forum, there are guys advocating using a little nose spray bottle to give the Sparrow a couple of spritzes of water to alleviate the FRP. Personally I don't want to have to worry about "spritzing" anything in the can before shooting!

The Sparrow is great if you want the features of easy take apart design for cleaning. My Specter came with the handy take-down tool so it isn't a problem either. It is also lighter than the SWR Spectre but my 11 and 13 y/o Boys don't have limp wrists and have never said anything regarding the weight of the Spectre until we got the Sparrow, then they mentioned that there was a slight difference. Given my first hand experience of shooting both suppressors, if I could only have one .22 suppressor, I would have the Spectre.

I will keep the Sparrow and only shoot subsonic ammo, that combo works fine!

The next .22 suppressor will be an AAC Element.

</div></div>
Between the reports of FRP with the sparrow and this post, I am happy I ordered the spectre.

does the sparrow still produce a FRP if you run it wet?
the main reason why i want the sparrow is due to the ability to clean it easily

I have done it a couple of times and if you run it wet, there is no FRP.

Out of all the other suppressors that we sell the sparrow is the easiest one to clean. Depending on how many rounds you shoot through some of the other suppressors, they can be hard to push the baffles out of the tube. Our Spectre took considerable time and effort to clean. But then again, we shot several thousand rounds through the suppressor, and most of it was in full auto.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are earplugs needed when shooting standard velocity ammo </div></div>

never need hearing protection with out the can, I shoot my .17 with out plugs either.

and on top of that the sound difference using standard/high velocity with and with out the can is minimal at best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SingleShot85</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are earplugs needed when shooting standard velocity ammo </div></div>

never need hearing protection with out the can, I shoot my .17 with out plugs either.

</div></div>
IMHO thats just plain stupid

soo i threw down my $$ today filled out the forms and dropped them off to the sheriff and tomorrow i am getting fingerprinted and getting my passport photo so i can send everything in for the silencer my question now is how long does it really take to receive everything back so i can walk out the store with can in hand

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">soo i threw down my $$ today filled out the forms and dropped them off to the sheriff and tomorrow i am getting fingerprinted and getting my passport photo so i can send everything in for the silencer my question now is how long does it really take to receive everything back so i can walk out the store with can in hand </div></div>

Plan on 3-4 months. Could be less or more depending on who your paperwork is assigned to at the NFA Branch. Best bet is to forget about it and it wont seem so long.

I know the dealer I am buying it from was preaching a month but I know they want to make a sale and don't want people to get discouraged by the wait time

dawm. do the form 4's all go to the same place or is it handled individually in each state

The realignment of the ATF examiners occurred in July. the effect this will have on wait times is unknown at this point in time.

The stainless sparrow is a very efficient design. Wet or Dry is will perform with the best of them.

I prefer to shoot it dry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know the dealer I am buying it from was preaching a month but I know they want to make a sale and don't want people to get discouraged by the wait time </div></div>

For any dealer to tell a customer that the current wait time is anywhere near 1 month is stupid. That dealer is going to end up with some very unhappy custoemrs when they start calling the ATF after 30 days wondering where their forms are and get told to wait another 90 days. As others have said, just forget about it and the wait will not seem as long, although the first wait always feels the longest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Atomic Lab Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The realignment of the ATF examiners occurred in July. the effect this will have on wait times is unknown at this point in time.

The stainless sparrow is a very efficient design. Wet or Dry is will perform with the best of them.

I prefer to shoot it dry. </div></div>

do you notice a significant difference when shooting it wet