• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"Spartan Races"

Mike Sweeney

Private
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2011
Wishing I was in CO
Anyone doing them?

I started running the 5k ones this year and really like them, they're pretty quick 30-35 minutes, most of the running is dirt/mud so it doesn't pound the legs, and the obstacles are fun!

Here I am going under the wire at the finish of a recent race.

I think they're a great way to have fun and stay in shape, lots of eye candy at them as well!

30957_379212872155662_23737880_n.jpg

Re: "Spartan Races"

I have not seen any in Indiana, but does look fun and a good way to stay in shape.

I did the sprint in Burnett, TX in may. It was a great first race.It wasnt too difficult, but I gassed my legs out about halfway through and that ended my running. My next one is in december. 12+mile/25 obstacle. Wont gas out on this one!

I did one last year (missed this year due to shoulder surgery recovery...NOT related to the spartan race). It was the best, 12+ miles. It was one of the greatest times and tests of my will power I ever had. The average time was about 5-6 hours, but your not running the whole time, its alot of stop and go for the obtsacles. I can't wait to do my next one, if you have the chance to do it, you won't regret it.

I too am looking at doing either a spartan race/warrior run/tough mudder sometime this year. Only bitch is not many come near Iowa.

I do the Warrior Dash. Going to another in Texas in March
smile.gif

I agree. Great way to stay fit. And gives a goal while training throughout the year.

Midwest spartan is only about 2 hours from me. I am seriously considering doing this. Looks like a lot of fun and a good challenge. Thinking of doing crossfit to get my self ready for it. I believe it was in June or July. For those that have done it what recommendations do you have to get ready for one?

Anybody thats done a mud run before, what did yall wear for footwear? Light boots, trailrunning shoes, tennis shoes?

I did a tough mudder with a pair of older cross country sneakers. what ever you'er going to use, you'll probably never be able to get it completely back to its condition before the race. mine were white before and now a light tan. with the cushy mud you dont really need anything too supportive.

I did the Tough Mudder last October in tooele, Utah, coldest I ever been in my life, 12 miles wet and muddy the entire time with freezing temperatures and howling winds.

For the TM race I bought some New Balance Minimus 1010 trail shoes that were awesome, they are still like new after the race, super lightweight didn't retain water and grippy as frog feet.

For 2013 I am signed up for the Utah Spartan race in June. I am going to run a 1/2 marathon in April, and a couple 5k's during the summer. I love these types of fitness events, keeps you in shape and great to train with friends and family.

Here is a video of team Desert Tactical at the Tough Mudder, we finished in 3 hrs and 20 minutes. The electric shock therapy is pretty funny to watch at 3:10

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xSdtxUBSlSI"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xSdtxUBSlSI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

My wife and I started getting into the mud runs for something to do together that was fun. They're all addicting, and there are more and more that come out seemingly.

The last one we ran together was a Spartan Sprint in PA last fall. Only 5 miler, but up and down and up and down a ski slope. Pretty taxing, and really really fun.

I wear whatever I'm used to running in at the moment. Newton trail shoes. I just hose them off really good and they're fine. I don't really care if they look clean or not afterwards.

Now, if I can get over this nagging plantar fasciitis, I could get back to running these races...

I did a GoRuck Challenge a few months ago. I wouldnt put it in the same category as a Warrior Dash, since it is n=more of an endurance / team building challenge. Mine spanned about 12 hours and covered 18-20 miles. It was tough.

Go to Rifles only in March and do the Berserker Games. Somebody'll prolly die...