• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spec M40a1 Builder

HogsLife

War Machine Leather Works
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 28, 2018
    N. Idaho
    What’s up guys. I got all my parts together for my late M40a1 build and looking for a smith capable of putting one together to USMC Spec I know there’s a few out there that can build it priper but one of my other concerns is having the smith put his makers mark in a spot for that you can see it. I’d really rather not have the mark on there at all but it be what it be. Be nice if they could atleast hide it on the bottom of the barrel.

Obvious ones out there are GAP, LRI, RWS. TBA Anyone else? Anyone have them do a Spec built A1 for you?

Appreciate the help.

Seth

Couple pics. Early PWS Built A1. Satin black Redfield, legit 40x base, Smear rerun stock, 6 digit 196XXX action, Hart barrel, 1979 MRT Sling

Other attachment is all the parts for my late A1 build. CMP Unertl, legit Unertl base. C prefix action. Forest return stock w/ matching BM, Schneider barrel, 1986 MRT Sling.

Early M40a3, PWS built, e prefix action, DDROS BM, Schneider barrel, big hook MCMillan, legit rings, legit base, Unertl

Attachments

• 5E8DFB7E-A759-494B-AA8A-DE903CA2B4CC.jpeg
      5E8DFB7E-A759-494B-AA8A-DE903CA2B4CC.jpeg
      582.7 KB · Views: 256
    • EDB63FFE-595F-49D7-B2A2-9EAF88847784.jpeg
      EDB63FFE-595F-49D7-B2A2-9EAF88847784.jpeg
      505.9 KB · Views: 252
    • B67DABD9-8337-4EBC-8149-E4F48FA98A4A.jpeg
      B67DABD9-8337-4EBC-8149-E4F48FA98A4A.jpeg
      442.6 KB · Views: 243
    Last edited:
    GAP builds are really nice. All mine are pws but after seeing my buddy’s GAP builds I have two in their hands as we speak. My previous hesitation was the cerakote only but they can now send out for black oxide so that sealed the deal for me.

Not completely positive but you may be able to check out redbull armory. Hes known for spec mk13 builds.

Reactions: HogsLife
    GAP builds are really nice. All mine are pws but after seeing my buddy’s GAP builds I have two in their hands as we speak. My previous hesitation was the cerakote only but they can now send out for black oxide so that sealed the deal for me.
    Curious, why do you like the GAP build over a PWS build? I’m asking because in a few more months I’ll be searching builder.

I believe Bill Corley over in NC does spec m40a1 builds. Problem is he takes off all summer to go fishing so you'll have to send it in the fall.

Can't recall his company name but if you Google it you'll find it at least at m40rifle.com

Curious, why do you like the GAP build over a PWS build? I’m asking because in a few more months I’ll be searching builder.

Unless something changed I don’t think you can get one built at PWS any longer.

I think a couple of the guys at gap are 2112 who built them. Having gap build it would also mean it's a GAP. Resale would be higher(not that you should ever sell it). GAP is in my top 3 large scale builders. LRI is another one. Both would do it right.

Reactions: HogsLife
    I think a couple of the guys at gap are 2112 who built them. Having gap build it would also mean it's a GAP. Resale would be higher(not that you should ever sell it). GAP is in my top 3 large scale builders. LRI is another one. Both would do it right.
    Back when the M40a3 was brand new I was a guest at 8541 school and had my GAP built M40a3. This was before most of USMC had them. I did it because I was a consultant for scope company doing the upgrade to the M40a1 scopes to use for TxE. The original scopes would not zero at 100 yards with the 30moa base. Instead of changing bases the scopes were modified

Well about a month later I was contacted by USMC Command who wanted to know how I got the M40a3 They thought it must be stolen. I told them GAP built it. A laugh was had by all.

Reactions: moosemeat
    PWS would be my 1st go to for 40 builds. I’ve had 2 built up there so far but they just shut down the hobby lobby again so that’s no longer an option.

PWS would be my 1st go to for 40 builds. I’ve had 2 built up there so far but they just shut down the hobby lobby again so that’s no longer an option.
    Kicking this one back to the top. Did you come up with anyone?

A while back I had Mark from Raven Rifles convert my GAP M40A1 to an A5 configuration, it is a G prefix receiver and I have a 6-digit TBA slotted receiver that even matched the first three digits of one of my issued guns, so I wanted to get it built into the A1 instead but I didn't have the funds to complete both at the time. I've still got the receiver, trigger, stock and the USO MST-100, would like to finish out the old bitch sometime.

The biggest thing I want to ensure, aside from being overall good work, is the rifle being finished in black oxide versus Cerakote.

Kicking this one back to the top. Did you come up with anyone?

A while back I had Mark from Raven Rifles convert my GAP M40A1 to an A5 configuration, it is a G prefix receiver and I have a 6-digit TBA slotted receiver that even matched the first three digits of one of my issued guns, so I wanted to get it built into the A1 instead but I didn't have the funds to complete both at the time. I've still got the receiver, trigger, stock and the USO MST-100, would like to finish out the old bitch sometime.

The biggest thing I want to ensure, aside from being overall good work, is the rifle being finished in black oxide versus Cerakote.

I did and went with GAP. Couldn’t be happier. Absolutely beautiful work and they were able to do the black oxide for me.

Attachments

• IMG_3450.jpeg
      IMG_3450.jpeg
      362.2 KB · Views: 74
    • IMG_3449.jpeg
      IMG_3449.jpeg
      342.3 KB · Views: 63
    • IMG_3448.jpeg
      IMG_3448.jpeg
      257 KB · Views: 71
    • IMG_3442.jpeg
      IMG_3442.jpeg