• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spec me a Winning Tactical Match rifle

Notso

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2010
Sin City
If you were building the "the perfect" Tactical / Precision match rifle - what would it be? Let's say stages are anything from 100-1000 yds. with lots of positional shooting, moving targets, timed stages, etc. You know.... the usual stuff.

- Bolt or Gas?
- What Caliber (reloading for sure)
- Action manufacturer (GAP, Surgeon, Stiller, etc)
- Barrel (Bartlein, hart, Rock, etc)
- Barrel contour
- Brake or suppressed?
- Stock (Manners, AICS chassis, etc)
- Custom shop to put it together or buy off the shelf like an AI, DTA, GAP, etc.

Let's leave optics out of the discussion.... that's an entirely different thread.

And I realize this is the "bolt action forum" and I asked for an opinion on bolt vs gassers - but I didn't see a more appropriate thread for build questions.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Bighorn Action
look at a cartridge with the most intrinsic accuracy for
caliber. barrel life. Shoot the shit out of it.
It ain't like ridding a bike

It ain't the car that wins the race, its the driver.

However, I'd call the guys at American Precision Arms and ask them.

- Bolt or Gas?--Bolt gun
- What Caliber (reloading for sure)---6x47L
- Action manufacturer (GAP, Surgeon, Stiller, etc)--Bighorn
- Barrel (Bartlein, hart, Rock, etc)---Krieger,Bartlein
- Barrel contour---Med Plama 24"-26"
- Brake or suppressed?---Neither
- Stock (Manners, AICS chassis, etc)---Manners
- Custom shop to put it together or buy off the shelf like an AI, DTA, GAP, etc.---Any QUALITY smith should work.

I'm looking at the idea of doing some tactical matches and the last time I looked everyone was on the 6.5 wagon, now with speed limits and Berger's 105 it looks like the 6s are the new flavor of the month, and the numbers seem to make sense.

I think I've kind of gotten to the point that I may be convinced that I'll buy a 6 barrel for the rifle that I'm going to switch up.

Anyone else out there have any experience with the 6SLR? Just looking at the options it seems to be a good idea with less expensive 243 brass available, so it you lose it it's not a big deal, no fire forming, and nearly identical characteristics to the 6CM.

Yes, you can't buy ammo, but I haven't purchased loaded ammo in longer than I can remember, and I like the idea of the longer throat for seating the bullet up out of the case.

(Rob, I read the thread you linked to, but it seemed to turn into a pissing contest over mags so I posted here)

The "Firearms for Sale" section is full of rifles that belong to people who had the very same idea you did. They built them, took lots of pretty pics of them on their dinning room table, posted them on here and said "look what I got", and that's where it ended. Go there and pick any new/lightly used 6mm and you'll be set. Save the time of building and save some money as well.