• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Specwar762,30P-1 for a Precision Bolt/.223 AR Combo

nwilling

Minuteman
May 5, 2013
Valdosta, GA
I am currently having a 300WM bolt rifle built and while I have never really considered suppressing it, I'm starting to lean towards it more and more. The rifle is being built to be my medium to long range paper shooter (600-1600) and is going to be pretty heavy with a 26" Bartlein M24 contour barrel on it with a turned down APA Little Bastard brake so I'm not too concerned about weight or noise for that matter. I do however care about groupings, and though it is not complete I'm hoping with a little luck and some solid work on the builder's behalf it will be a .5MOA or better stick. The reason I never considered suppressing it is because I was always of the apparently incorrect assumption that suppressors, while potentially increasing muzzle velocity on heavier rounds, may also open up groupings.

On the other hand I have an old Bushmaster AR15 with a 16" barrel and standard front sight post. I use a TA-11H on it and treat this as my short to medium range paper shooter. I have always wanted to suppress this guy for fun sake and while looking into the logistics of it, I realized I could order a brake or flash hider mounted 7.62 suppressor that can be interchanged between rifles.

After discussing it with a suppressor dealer I was recommended the Specwar 7.62 as it could meet these needs for the most part. While I like the idea of being able to shoot the bolt gun both with and without the suppressor, (I guess the 3 port SWR brake is pretty solid) I am concerned that it may open up the rifle's groups since it is a QD type can and not a threaded type like the TBAC 30P-1. Should I be? I'd look more at the TBAC 30BA but the brake's single port looks like it leaves much to be desired in terms of recoil reduction.

As I mentioned before, the thing I care about most is group size. Perhaps I have delved into a whole can of worms I'm not ready for and should just stick with the brake until I can afford to buy two separate suppressors for each rifle. What do you all think?

For 300wm pressures I would look at the 338 BA.

Although rated for the 300WM, the 30p/BA suits the 308 bolt size better.

I use my 30p-1 on 7mm, 6.5 mm's, 300 blk, and 223 (with adapter).

There's nothing wrong with shooting .300WM with a 30P-1. It was designed to suppress well up to that, and one of our original test guns was an AI AWM .300WM. You can got to the 338BA if you want but it's not needed for shooting .300WM.

For 300wm pressures I would look at the 338 BA.

Although rated for the 300WM, the 30p/BA suits the 308 bolt size better.

I use my 30p-1 on 7mm, 6.5 mm's, 300 blk, and 223 (with adapter).

What kind of adapter are you using to attach it to your 223? Is it an AR?

Does anyone have any input on the groupings of the specwar 762 or is the TBAC the way to go for the bolt gun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

go with the direct thread 30p1, you don't need a quick detach, your not going to need
to take it off one gun and put it on another in a hurry, that's ar-15.com bullshit!
the time and money we invest in these things makes no sense to not get the most accuracy
out of it.and i can tell you for fact that a 30p1 direct thread will shoot as good as the rifle is
built, and the recoil reduction is very good,and once you run the can you won't be shooting with out it.
as far as putting the p1 on a ar you'll need to ask zac how much abuse(constant firing )it will handle.
btw i run a 300wm with a 30p1 and love it,also use it on a 223 bolt gun and is very quiet on it to.

Thanks for the input, maybe a little too late as I already have the specwar on order. I do however plan to get a dedicated suppressor for my 300wm at a later date and at least I can use the 7.62 to run on multiple guns in the future.
One thing I was concerned about was the fact that I'm a mil guy and have to move from place to place. I'd like to say I won't have to move to any commie states but who knows. At least with a brake I know I can still shoot my rifle without it being a punishment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want a brake on the rifle when you're not shooting with the can, just go to the TBAC 30BA. I got one when I got my DTA SRS, and have their 3/4-24 brake/mounts on the 6x47 & 284 SRS bbls, as well as on several of my conventional rifles. Accuracy has never been a concern with the TBAC 30BA can....

The Specwar 762 is rated for up to a 300 RUM, has a very solid and repeatable mount that rivals the consistency of a direct thread suppressor. Your plan to use the Specwar on your 16" ar15 should really please you as well, considering the Specwar 762 in 5.56 is rated for down to a 7" barrel.

This NFA stuff is quite addictive. You might find yourself looking for another can to dedicate to your 5.56. There are plenty of adapter options including simple thread adapters. Sizing up from 1/2-28 to 5/8-24 is common. I do not have any Specwar 7.62 experience, but the TBAC 30BA is light and performs well with a 5.56, and of course most of the .30 cals, and the brake works as well as any 3-port brake that I have shot. As active mil and NFA owner, I tried to avoid the commie addresses as well but they got me a few times. My trust did a nice job in the ownership arena - no problems.

Excellent, thanks for all of the advice guys! I'd say when it came down to it I decided on the Specwar because the real tradeoff between it and the 30BA TBAC seemed to be 8 ounces. After a great deal of debate I figured the rifle that's being built is going to be somewhere around the 15# range already, and even though it's 8 more oz on the end, I'll likely shoot prone with it most of the time so I doubt it will matter.
I'm fairly new to the precision shooting world (not in general) and I think someday I'll likely build a 6.5 creedmoor and put a lighter Ti can on it, hell maybe even give some competitions a shot.
All that being said, I think the Specwar will fit me well for now, but I do hear all of you when you say this is addicting... good thing for deployment pay!

Would any of you guys shoot 22lr threw your non take apart 308 cans

Buy a dedicated 22 can. Cheap enough. They make them serviceable for a reason. Short answer, no.

To keep this a bit in line with the OP, subcalibers through a .30cal can are ok. Centerfire subcalibers perform well in my experience, specifically .223 and 6.5mm out of a 30P-1. Suppressor volume is able to somewhat make-up for bore diameter difference. Shooting SSS .22lr through my 30P-1 is silent. A big BUT is, I have a fast twist (1:10) Thompson Center Encore MGM .22lr barrel threaded 5/8-24 made specifically to shoot the 60gr SSS. Most suppressor manufacturers do not recommend shooting SSS through their cans. I have also shot 38-40gr .22lr through a few .30 and .223 cans with good noise reduction results.

So my answer to "would you shoot 22lr threw your non take apart 308 cans" is yes... followed by a I agree with "buy a dedicated 22 can". While its possible to shoot rimfire through a centerfire can with ok results, a dedicated rimfire can is more appropriate in size and weight and therefore much easier and more enjoyable. Get two (or more!) cans from the beginning and you will likely be more satisfied.