• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spell it out for me

pepper 2111

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2013
I've read a ton, and still know nothing. I want to get into reloading but like everything else, there are too many options. So i humbly ask for the boards advice. What the heck do I need?

I want to reload 308, 223 and 9mm. I am not wealthy, so economical components are necessary. In addtion, i would like to be efficient. Hopefully there is a system out there, or a group of components that can make this compromise happen. Like most of you, i want every shot to go exactly where i put it with the rifle rounds. Im not too picky with the 9mm.

So...what the heck do i need to buy? Im not partial to any brand, the only names in reloading i even know are hornady lock n load and dillon. Sorry if its been covered 1000 times.

Thanks for your time,
Luke

Look at Lee systems. They are very economical and work very well. Any system you get will take a little tweaking initially then work well. Good luck. Check Cabela's and Sportsmans Warehouse for additional discounts.

I believe a good option for you would be to get a dillon 550b. Then you only have to buy one press to load all 3 calibers. To save a little money you could use the same powder hopper for all 3 just resetting it for each use.

This would allow you to be fairly efficient.

What's your budget? That's going to drive your available choices.

I guess another option would be a turret press of some sort to increase efficiency if you don't want to jump straight into a progressive press or run a progressive for pistol and single stage for rifle. It'll be slower than a progressive on the pistol, so if your on a budget you'll have to make a series of compromises.

For economical components you'll want to stick with one powder for both rifle cartridges such as varget, however there's many choices out there that will work for both .223 and .308.

So at a minimum, a shopping list will include:
Loading Manual
Press
Dies
Calipers
Scale
Shell holders (dependent on press)
Powder measure (dependent on press)
Tumbler
Notebooks (take lots of notes)
Case Trimmer
Case prep tools (can go handheld to save money)
Case Lube
Components (Bullets, powder, primer, brass)

Additional:
Hornady Bullet Comparator and Headspace gauges
Media Seperator
And the list goes on from here.

Equipment can always be upgraded once you see what you like/don't like to use when loading.

Lee, and rcbs make some nice starter kits i started with an rcbs kit and just added a piece at a time. Rcbs makes a tactical kit that comes ready to go with dies and everything minus the 9mm dies. Check out natchezss.com they carry it. On a budget though i would by a basic kit rcbs. You probably want a good H style press like the rock chucker (rcbs) and add stuff from there.

1. Rockchucker supreme kit
2. Redding case trimmer
3. Tumbler w/ corncob media
4. Hornady sonic cleaner

Ps when buying pistol dies only buy carbide or carbide inserted dies only need the sizing die to be this way. Save a big p.i.a.

Hope this helps

There is a number of manufacturers who produce high-quality handloading equipment and components. I began by purchasing a "kit" and, as I learned more and became more skilled and proficient, I began to systematically replace one piece of equipment with another of higher quality and precision.

I also started with a kit. Still use most of that kit still. But I have upgraded a few things and added a dillon along the way.

If your goal is to save money, you can really do without a tumbler. The tumbler does nothing more than give you shiny brass. If you buy a corn cobb/walnut tumbler, you are really only going to clean the outside of the brass anyway. None of my first loads were tumbled, but I had pretty clean once fired brass (it never hit the ground). I've been cleaning my brass in the bathroom sink. Getting the water as hot as I can, adding a little dish detergent and agitating the brass for a few minutes. After that I drain and rinse the water, and fill up the sink again with hot water, to let the brass sit for about 15 minutes. Drain, rinse and dry. Not exactly efficient, but clean brass (not polished) on the cheap.

Also, on a side note. I wouldn't skimp on any of the reloading bench mainstays (ie press, trimmer etc). Chances are if you go cheap on these, you are going to want to upgrade in the future, and you will actually end up spending more money that way. Even if you start loading, and decide it isn't for you, you'll have a much easier time unloading a quality press than you will the cheapest thing you can buy.

I personally started with a RockChucker Supreme (not the kit b/c I wanted a digi scale) and so far it's served me well. The thing is built like a tank, and I see no reason why it wouldn't last anyone a lifetime. Most of the case prep tools can be had pretty cheap if you go the manual labor route. If you are deburring flash holes, or uniforming primer pockets, look for tools that will fit into an electric drill. These will save lots of time, and be much easier on your wrists!

Some things are more important than others or I should say more convenient and that is where the extra money needs to be spent.

1. Get yourself a Scott Parker tuned beam scale. For precision long range work you want to weigh every charge. Doing so produces lower extreme spreads and smaller vertical at distance. If I were to start over again I'd get a cheap powder thrower because I throw .3-.4 grains below target charge weight into the pan and trickle the rest.

2. Saturn funnels are great because they are designed to stay on the neck so you don't have to hold them.

3. I like the Wilson micrometer neck trimmer because I load for different cartridges and like being able to set the mic for each one quickly, plus the system is accurate.

4. Get a higher quality digital caliper, money well spent.

5 Neco dry neck lube is a very good product. Provides less friction thus less trimming, easier sizing and more consistent neck tension.

6. Imperial die wax. Lasts forever and provides superior lubrication. For you that means no cases getting stuck in the size die.

For pistol I suggest the Dillon Square Deal. It has auto indexing.

Look at Lee systems. They are very economical and work very well. Any system you get will take a little tweaking initially then work well. Good luck. Check Cabela's and Sportsmans Warehouse for additional discounts.

This! Get a Lee Turret (4 Hole)
4 Hole Classic Turret Press - Lee Precision

Great way to start and learn the process. Its not overly expensive either. Cabela's and the other sporting stores carry most of the pieces and parts. Its not complicated either. Dillon and the Hornady are going to be better and have more options but in the end the Lee is perfect to start with.

If its a cost thing, Lee wins, If you want to dump $2000 into 3 calibers, then the Dillon or Hornady would be fine. The Lee should be around $600 with 3 Calibers and "Good" Dies.

Good Luck, Matt

another +1 for the Wilson Case trimmer... and the Saturn Funnels (these are caliber specific so you'll need one for each case size).

Also, I've been using hornady unique case lube, and that's worked out pretty well for me. I have limited experience here, but I would avoid the Lyman case lube+pad. I stuck a case in my die within the first 50 pieces of brass using this.

While this is all great advice, I would add my two cents and say you could reload ammo 95% as good with the simple LEE loader. this is THE best way to load on a budget and or limited space. Yes all the other stuff will load "better" ammo but to learn on and get your feet wet this is great. Also fits in the range bag.

$33 ish from Cabelas.

LEE%20LOADER.JPG

I would add one of these for speed and safety. a hand primer.

th

This IMHO is the BEST starting manual. Lee second edition

most load data I have seen in a new book. $20

Lee%20reloading%20manual.jpg

After you learn the basics you can get a Scale and a powder measure.

But the above is a great way to start.

OR............all in one lee kit. $125. and your dies at $33 a set it will load ALL your listed calibers you mentioned.

51S8DDiw1XL.jpg

it will load anything and you can upgrade dies/equipment later.

Last edited:
Gentleman, thank you! Fantastic information here. Simply the best forum ive ever been a part off.

+1 from me, too, on the Rockchucker kit. Think I bought mine in 76. I'm still using it, today. Same scale, powder measure, etc. I just saw the lee kit. It looks good, also.( The full size kit, not the "survivalist little last ditch Kit") Getting good dies, the first time, is a good idea. I reload .223&308, and use the Competition, and Gold medal dies. BUT, you can do really fine with the standard dies if you measure a lot. I've done thousands of reloads with standard dies .I use them for 30-30, 7mm Mauser, 8mm Mauser, 45-70, 300 Savage, 300 Weatherby, etc.. Basically all the guns I shoot a "little", not a lot. Now........9mm- I've always just bought them, cause they were usually so cheap, it wasn't worth the time. Price out the components, and see. I do .38s,357,45ACP, 44 special and 44 Mag. Buy the carbide dies( as mentioned earlier), for pistol. Worth it .Here's how I found a lot of "extra stuff", and 2 extra presses. Check the swapper adds, news papers, and local gun shops. Used to be, I'd find Boxes of reloading stuff being sold for cheap by some guy that got too tired or too old to do it anymore. Just my 2cc. And do what I do, and notice Big Ed's picture: Folger coffee tubs come in very handy with their airtight seal. Save as many as you can.. Good luck.
Two places to sit down next to the bench are a must

cat-a_zps8875fe64.jpg

I'm still using the RCBS Rockchucker press I bought in 1973

RCBS Reloader Special-5 Single Stage Press Starter Kit

Last edited:
To start and stay economical, I suggest a single stage press kit. Lee, Lyman, RCBS, etc will all work well. You will use a good single stage for your entire reloading career.

Basic die sets to start.

Learn to reload and then you will see what YOU need. Yes, they are some great things that may make your rounds more consistent, but to get started, you don't need them.

If you need to reload faster, then Dillon makes great presses. But WAY overkill to get started within a low budget.

BTW, I think a tumbler is a bit more important. It is not just about shiny brass, it is about CLEAN brass that does not put grit in your dies causing damage. You can clean them other ways, but a tumbler (Harbor Freight will work) will make it easier and quicker.

Last edited:
Ha, I'm in the same boat OP. Looking to reload 9, 223, & 308. Probably going to get the RCBS supreme master kit listed on their site for $486.95. I know I'll need more stuff later but it'll get me started atleast.