• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spent cases damaging cerakote

rangeryo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2013
Central Virginia
Anyone else have an issue where ejected brass damages the cerakoote on the receiver just behind the ejection port? Any ideas on preventative measures?

I was thinking about a small piece of something like safety grit tape there. Ive used the stuff around manufacturing plants before, and i know its pretty durable, just curious what others use if anything.

Spent cases damaging cerakote

If you use your rifle it will get much more than a few marks from ejected brass. It's called patina, and it's part of a rifle that doesn't only see the inside of a safe.

Yeah, im not really worried about it too much, just figured no sense in knocking a perfectly good (and brand new) coating off just racking the bolt. My rifle is definitely not a safe queen either, she gets lugged through the forest and up trees all hunting season.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Cerakote should be more durable than that. It should not be coming off. Was it applied correctly?

Its not really coming off, just getting dinged up. Pretty hard to see, but this after 92 rounds, the first 44 of which were softly ejected into my hand since i was shooting from a bench. Had the rifle since wednesday...
hy2y3a4a.jpg

This girl certainly sees use! Just hate to beat up my 2 day old finish before i actually get to toss it in some rocks to break it in..

If it really really bothers you, just put some of the soft side of velcro where the brass hits. Should eliminate the marks.

Personally the only time I would be bothered was if the Cerakote was chipping in large chunks or peeling, then I would be asking the installer WTF? In your case though, it's just normal wear and tear that I wouldn't worry about.

I've got 1600 rounds down the tube of my gun. Mine is a 10 times worse but still no bare metal. Ceracoated guns aren't like blued guns ride it down to the rails, the rebuild it. You'll get your moneys worth of fun if you do that.

.02 you could always put tape on that spot if it really bugs you.

If you use your rifle it will get much more than a few marks from ejected brass. It's called patina, and it's part of a rifle that doesn't only see the inside of a safe.

+1

It's the difference between a rifle that shoots in the field and a mouth that shoots on the web.

Getting that round count up to 150 later this morning, so I guess Ill just let it go like it is. Not likely ill ever sell the rifle anyway.

I cut a small piece of sticky back velcro to protect my action in that area!!!!!
wqxbly.jpg

Last edited:
Cerakote should be more durable than that. It should not be coming off. Was it applied correctly?

I disagree, my last 4 rifles had cerakoted actions and all of them had dings on the coating from brass. I had 3500 + rounds down my last action and it was just dinged , not though and though.

If it's that big of a problem, just lay down a couple layers of clear packing tape. You can also get that clear 3M film which is used in place of car bras.

Place the opposite side of the rifle on a concrete floor than rub back and forth vigorously.

That will make the other side look so shitty you wont even notice the brass marks.

Perfectly normal. Shoot it and don't sweat it.

It's a tool. It cost alot because you can manhandle it and it keeps on rocking. Besides, beat up rifles tell a story... My favorite rifles were beautiful 15k rifles I used in the military that became part of me that were new when I got them and I ran them hard and beat the hell out of them but they still thrived.

Correct me if I'm wrong but is that a LA stock utilized with SA receiver?

Ejection port on the stock is throwing me off...

It's not, it was ordered for this build from McMillan, but I'm not sure why it's like that. My Manners T5A was the exact same way, and it was ordered for a defiance action as well.

Gotcha, I figured there would be a few other issues (bottom metal/reciever bolt pattern and such) if that was the case. Regardless, nice rifle.

Go to a bicycle shop and buy a clear chain stay protector.
It's a clear thick vinyl adhesive backed protective strip.
I'd imagine a hardware store may carry something similar significantly cheaper.

Or just live with it.

148 rounds since Monday when I picked it up.
fwiNM8X.jpg

scQa7RJ.jpg

I totally hate that

This is what I did, I just hang one of these off the scope, flop it over on the right side to protect your paint. I have heard in Texas one can find these used laying around many public ranges. The used ones may stay in place better.

webmd_rm_photo_of_tampons.jpg

Just saying....................

Saw a GAP Hospitaller at LGS. It had been used hard, but the wear only added to the aura. They kept a bucket under the rifle to catch the dripping testosterone.

There was a brand new Surgeon ( a fine rifle ) next to it , but all eyes were drawn to the battle scarred veteran.

Last edited:
I cut a small piece of sticky back velcro to protect my action in that area!!!!!
wqxbly.jpg

Honestly? you would put a god awful ugly piece of velcro on the action rather than have brass make a tiny rub mark?Does the thought that every time you fire the rifle the inside of the barrell gets damaged keep you up all night worrying also?

Why do you all even finish your rifles in the first place? Why not let them turn into some rusty POS looking rifle? Is having a finish so shitty that after 100 rounds it's dinging/chipping off cool? Make you feel more manly? Make you feel like your really accomplished something? Personally, I'd rather use a better finish, or a better applied finish. Last night I looked at a rifle I finished probably 2500+ rounds ago and sure, there are marks there from the brass. The finish is not dinged or chipped though. You couldn't feel the marks by rubbing your thumb nail over them. Judging by the picture, I'd bet you could on the OP's rifle.

Edit: I take part of that back. The OP's rifle looks fine in the pictures. It's the next tan one that looks like dings/chips.

Last edited: