• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spent cases getting jammed in action!!

Triman2008

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2009
N42.50.65 W85.37.78
So I'm having an issue and I need a little help in figuring this out. Here's what I have......Rem 700 Sendero in .300WM with XLR chassis system and DBM. I have been reloading for this rifle for about 2 years. Using the same load I have not had any issues until now.

I recently bought new RWS brass and have only used about 4 rounds from this batch. With this RWS brass the spent casings are jammed in my action. Never had this problem before with the old brass I was using. The old Brass was a mix of Federal and Winchester brass.

My reloads are as follows:
Powder: RL-22 with 68.2 grains
Bullet: Hornady 208g A-Max
RWS .300 win mag brass (never fired)
Primer: Federal No. 215 LMR
C.O.A.L.: 3.4500"

My question is how come with my old brass I was never getting the jammed cases, and now that I switch to a "top of the line" brass, I am getting stuck cases? Am I loading too hot....I am getting alittle pressure signs with the RWS brass with flat primes and action marks....but again I never got these signs with the old brass.

Also could it be that I developed this load in the winter time and this is when I was doing the majority of my shooting? Will the temperature play this much of a difference? (I know it will play a factor, but how much?) Also, was it that this load was too hot to begin with but the cheap brass wouldn't give me any signs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks all.

Re: Spent cases getting jammed in action!!

I've not used RWS brass but I'm willing to bet it has less case capacity.
What does your old brass/load chrono at for velocity?
What is old load/new brass chrono at for velocity?

+1 on case capacity.

It's the only component you've changed. So, suspicion goes there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FCS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've not used RWS brass but I'm willing to bet it has less case capacity.
What does your old brass/load chrono at for velocity?
What is old load/new brass chrono at for velocity?

</div></div>

As I don't have a chrono, I don't know my velocity.....with the data that I have the powder charge stated is 2850fps. That's all I have, but I didn't think about the case capacity inside. Since it is a better brass (thicker) it might have less capacity. Thanks for the input.

a dirty neck in the chamber can cause this as well.. after 150 rounds or so my chamber will get some carbon in the neck and cause VARY hard extraction.. i use a oversize pistil brush to scrub it out, and it good to go...

the RL powders are temp sensitive ,so you should re-adjust your load , CC probably different to.

out of curioustiy how do the load rounds chamber? maybe you can try f/l sizing the virgin brass.

Easy to measure the internal capacity. Weigh empty a case of both makes, then fill each with water and weigh them again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MALLARD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">out of curioustiy how do the load rounds chamber? maybe you can try f/l sizing the virgin brass. </div></div>

The loads chamber and and extract just fine....I extracted the loaded rounds too. Everything was smooth and had no fowl ups. I will clean out the neck in my action, and see if that helps. Thanks.

Okay, so I made it out to the range today and fired off two rounds of new load data. Everything was the same just different powder charge. I fired one @ 67 grains and it got stuck in the chamber. The second I fired was @ 66.8 grains and again got stuck in the chamber.

How much lower do I need to reduce my powder charge before I get a clean extraction? I am getting flat primers as well, but no other signs of over pressure on the case. I've measured my once fired cases and they are all within specs....please advise.

Eric

It's seeming to me that it's the cases. Stuck cases is a good sign of overpressure. Kind of surprising, tho' because 66.8 gr should be in a mid range pressure load.

Were it me, any component change and I'd start from the beginning. I'd load charges starting from the min and work my way up incrementally, looking for pressure problems.

Hornady manual says 59.2 gr of RL-22 is min. Work up in .5 grain increments. You just need 1 round of each load to see where your pressure limit is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hedge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's seeming to me that it's the cases. Stuck cases is a good sign of overpressure. Kind of surprising, tho' because 66.8 gr should be in a mid range pressure load.

Were it me, any component change and I'd start from the beginning. I'd load charges starting from the min and work my way up incrementally, looking for pressure problems.

Hornady manual says 59.2 gr of RL-22 is min. Work up in .5 grain increments. You just need 1 round of each load to see where your pressure limit is. </div></div>

Hedge,

Thanks for the insight. I will be putting together new loads this week and broughing a chrono for a fellow hide member next week. The only thing I am worried about it my FPS....is it a possibility to have overpressure signs and a really low FPS? Hedge, like you said this load should be in the mid pressure range.

I just don't want to lose much from going out to 1000, since this is my goal for this rifle. My fear is that my FPS will be so low that I will run out of adjustment with my scope. Back to the drawing board.

Eric

Again...have you measured the capacities of the two cases? Have you chronographed the loads? Without measurements your observations and questions are without validity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Again...have you measured the capacities of the two cases? Have you chronographed the loads? Without measurements your observations and questions are without validity. </div></div>

I measured them just now and the difference is 2.7 grains......total weight of the old brass was 89.7 grains, RWS brass weighed in with 87 grains......I measured the difference as well and got my 2.7 grains. So, would it safe to say that I just need to back my load down 2.7 grains from my initial load of 68.2? OR should I just start load development over and start fresh?

As far as chrono, I don't have one, but I have got in touch with Adam B., and he has one that he is going to let me use for a few days. I will get more definative results then......thanks for all your help thus far.

I'd still start at min and work up. It won't hurt and you'll have a better handle on what's happening.

As a general rule, FPS and pressure go hand in hand. But, there is a point of diminishing return. The correlation isn't linear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hedge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd still start at min and work up. It won't hurt and you'll have a better handle on what's happening.

As a general rule, FPS and pressure go hand in hand. But, there is a point of diminishing return. The correlation isn't linear. </div></div>

Right, completely agree. Thanks for the help.

I'd start 5 gr below, load a single round with 62gr, 63gr, 64gr, 65gr and 66gr of powder to find where brass starts sticking.

Once you have that data you can start to work in smaller increments but 0.2 gr in 300 WM is about as fine as you'll ever need to go for fine tuning a load given a case with that much capacity.

Chrono will speed process greatly.

You're welcome.
smile.gif

Keep us posted on your results.

Will do. Thanks again for all the help guys. I will keep you all posted. Just out of curiousity, how much would a suppressor change my POI?

Have you thought about using the previous brass that worked? I am shooting 72.7 r22 with rem win and hornady brass and have had little to no issues with op on the 208 amax. Coal of 3.600".

I would use the same brass, however I have reloaded that Federal brass about 8 times.....time for new brass.

Got you buddy. I would say just bite the bullet and get some new brass that you are used to. No sense in driving yourself crazy. Not to mention ruin your sticks throat. Good luck.

Can't help with suppressor. Never used one. Plenty of guys, here that do, though.

In fact, there's a forum on the 'Hide just for suppressor discussion.

I've seen as little as 0.25 MOA change at 100 yds and as much as 1.5 MOA at 100 yards.

Every rifle is a little different. Wish I had a better answer for you.