• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sphur 6 Mrad Mount... Tremor3?

Trek

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2019
Canton Michigan
I am mounting a Schmidt &Bender 5-20x50 PMII “Ultra Short” on a 308 AR with a Tremor3 reticle... I’m struggling with the concept of shimming (either 3MRAD or 6MRAD) or do I just go neutral?

Scope has a 17 Mrad elevation range... golden rule suggests shim should not exceed 50%... so 3 or mor popular 6 Mrad would work... but is it required/desired for “heavy” tactical competition shootin? I’ve decided to learn to hold vs dial (hence the Tremor reticle)... so is “lift”in the mount redundant? Mount neutral... scope still has 17/2 Mrad dialability in addition to the “hold” range offered by the reticle..

Thoughts/opinions? (Thanks!)

Correct me if I'm wrong but the 5-20 Ultra Short should have 35ish Mils of elevation with the double turn turret? Is the Single turn turret (16 Mils) even offered with the Tremor 3? Any how, either way a 6 Mil mount will be fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the 5-20 Ultra Short should have 35ish Mils of elevation with the double turn turret? Is the Single turn turret (16 Mils) even offered with the Tremor 3? Any how, either way a 6 Mil mount will be fine.
Yes, Rudy... your correct... I had the elevation for the single turn. So with this new information, a 6 Mil lift <<50% of the mid point in the elevation range (6 vs 17). So with the 6 Mil lift... I should be able to zero at 100m (dial out the lift)... and then allow me the option to dial to a range well beyond my “capability”.

For discussion… Is there a disadvantage of putting on a six Mill lift? If 1000 m with my max range, would I be better served with a zero Mill lift?

Thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

I can’t see the 6 Mil setup being a disadvantage, you won’t be terribly close the maximum of internal travel but I do see the 6 Mil mount being more flexible if you’re goals or equipment changes later down the road.

Reactions: Trek
I run a 20 MOA (6mil) 1 piece scope mount on both my AR15 AND AR10. I never had any issue even when shooting the AR 10 at the 1000 yard range

I mean the real issue is that you don't want the internal housing to constantly bit against the outer housing over and over.

It might take a while, it might happen right at that moment, but you might have hit the housings just enough for the adjustments to be out of wack.