• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Spiral flute a barrel

Re: Spiral flute a barrel

I see Steve Rinella has it on Meateater. Just haven't seen it as an option too often. I imagine it takes pretty special machinery.

Paul is the man and a hide vendor, HIGHLY reccomended.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Patent laws come into play when looking for spiral (Helical) fluted barrels. A guy named E.R. Shaw has laid claim to the patent so you are pretty well limited to getting a barrel through him.

Helical Fluted Barrels thread

FYI - Save this link into your Favorites and it will help you get answers to most your questions.

Sniper's Hide Google Search Engine

</div></div>

There are many people doing helical fluted barrels, here are a couple more:

Kampfeld
Twisted Barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBlue&Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Patent laws come into play when looking for spiral (Helical) fluted barrels. A guy named E.R. Shaw has laid claim to the patent so you are pretty well limited to getting a barrel through him.

FYI - Save this link into your Favorites and it will help you get answers to most your questions.

</div></div>

There are many people doing helical fluted barrels, here are a couple more:

Kampfeld
Twisted Barrel </div></div>

I'm glad others are spiral fluting barrels. But lawyers have a way of shutting down good things.

And here's the Party Pooper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barrel Fluting

At E. R. Shaw Custom Barrels we offer two types of rifle barrel fluting for you to choose from - Traditional Straight Fluting and Shaw’s Patented Helical Fluting (U.S. Patents DES. 426,611 & USG. 324,780B1).</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Patent laws come into play when looking for spiral (Helical) fluted barrels. A guy named E.R. Shaw has laid claim to the patent so you are pretty well limited to getting a barrel through him.

</div></div>

Watch out for this patent infringement. My brother is a patent attorney for K&L gates. There are people out there doing it anyways, but the guys I have used for spiral fluting have asked me not to post that info publicly. Do it by PM.

Patented fluting? That's crazy. Couldn't you change the depth/size of cut, twist length or rotation direction? I mean it's not like it does a whole lot other then look cool.

I think Shaw's idea of patenting spiral fluting is a crock. It wouldn't be so bad if they were a top tier quality barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aziator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just change one small aspect of the fluting and it wouldn't be an infrigement. </div></div>

How much are you willing to pay a lawyer to prove that?

2hf1h80.jpg

Pro Precision ^^^^

I have had Karl Kampfeld do a couple barrels and he is doing my project gun bolt this week. He does excellent work and is a joy to deal with. I was concerned on accuracy affects with the 1st one and there was none but I had mentioned that concern to karl in passing. 6 weeks after I got it back I got an out of the bue call from him. He just wanted to follow up and ensure it was shooting as accurate as before and to ensure both my customer and I were happy with his work. He is a true craftsman that understands custromer service

I guess I struggle with how someone could patent a feature like this. I'm a dunce with that stuff so be gentle.

To me it'd be like patenting the threads on a screw or splines on an axle.

Seems kinda silly.

Be like me trying to patent a program on one of my cnc's.

Don't get it, but whatever.

C.

If you actually read Shaw's patent, you will note that their design is such that the flutes actually mirror the lands of the rifling. It certainly does not mean that Shaw is thereby able to monopolize the market on a machining technique. Shaw's threats to the contrary are not worth the paper on which they are printed.

That said, defense costs are a bitch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you actually read Shaw's patent, you will note that their design is such that the flutes actually mirror the lands of the rifling. It certainly does not mean that Shaw is thereby able to monopolize the market on a machining technique. Shaw's threats to the contrary are not worth the paper on which they are printed.

That said, defense costs are a bitch. </div></div>

I tried reading it as well. Legal jargon blows my mind. I'm no lawyer but I would think this would be easy to get by with just some minor changes in design.

IMO, a waste of money to patent.

Why does it sound like he's just counting on the other smiths out there not being willing to spend the $$$ to fight it and win.

(Not that I blame someone for not wanting to just into that monetary sinkhole)

Sounds a bit like richard swan of A.R.M.S. putting in trademarks for the following:
(That's some petty shit there)