• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Spiral vs Tactical Muzzle Brake for Accuracy?

rainman74

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2011
Colorado
I am looking for a muzzle brake for a Savage 10 FCP-SR. I have read that the Spiral brakes tend to be better for accuracy than the Tactical. I know they throw up more dirt but I want to get the most accuracy I can.

Re: Spiral vs Tactical Muzzle Brake for Accuracy?

a properly installed brake (barrel thread is concentric to bore) of either kind shouldnt have an affect on accuracy

Based on my personal experience. If you are splitting hairs, the spiral brake will have a small advantage in accuracy.IMHO
smile.gif

Paul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what kind or spiral brake are you referring to? </div></div>
The spiral brake has ports all around, not just on the sides like a tactical brake.

I've been able to switch between my Ross (Holland Style, ports on the side and top) and my Harrells (Spiral Style, holes all the way around) with no POI change. Not sure why some would get a POI change but if you shoot prone you'll want one with no holes on the bottom unless you don't mind the dust and debris being thrown up and if you shoot mostly off a table or higher off the ground the spiral should work fine. Some want a perfect fit with their brake and barrel to look seamless so you'll have to have the Ross timed so the crush or rubber o-ring won't show. The spiral just screw it on and go shoot.

Topstrap

rainman....ill say this i am just getting into this whole building and modifying your own weapon...i know even less about brakes... but here is what i do know... i carry a 1 of 2 M24's at work...308 and 300 win..both of witch have the same break on them... surefire...both of them i took to the range last month and shot a 5 shot group with them both... than i took the brakes off and fired another 5 out of each... me and my NCO were curious about this..you want to know the difference.... there were 2 differences...1 my shoulder hurt lil more and 2 you lost sight picture... and thats it... the groups were both well under .5 inches...aka no change in POI....

i am not a expert by no means...there are many who idk what they have forgotten... this is only my 2 cents and take it as you want