• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Spitfire/The First of the Few

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
Just watched a great movie on TCM called "The First of the Few," which details the evolution of the British Supermarine R seaplanes that led to the Spitfire fighter. It was also released as "Spitfire."

It's basically the story of R.J. Mitchell who designed the Spitfire for Vickers/Supermarine.

Movie made/released in 1942. Which, considering that the war was at its height and England was just past the Battle of Britain, lets you know that it was a very important movie for the British War Office. It has a young David Niven as a test pilot... and a bunch of real RAF pilots appearing as themselves.

What makes the movie is the real footage of the Schneider Trophy races. It's phenomenal. Yes, some of it is bad models on strings.... but enough real clips of the Schneider Trophy races are included to make it great viewing! Including some film of the R4 that crashed in '25. The last scenes that featured a Spitfire going through airworthiness tests were also great. Nothing sounds like a supercharged Merlin at high speed and they got the sound really right!

A movie totally worth watching... maybe a bit campy. But everything from 1942 was campy. I need it on DVD for sure.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Very good movie with B roll races and such. Spitfire was a hot little sky hole puncher. But, I disagree that 1942 or any movies in this time are campy, especially war movies of the greatest generation as most of the actors served. Much better than the crap around now with whiny sissy punk clowns we have today.

In my opinion the Spit was and still is the most beautiful bird to take to the sky. Sleek, agile, fast, beautiful graceful lines all made for a lethal combination. If you like "the first of the few" then have a look at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tk-FtH8Zig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHrdCJLLVXU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yN9ss2P5rU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x_qABe30yU

Its a 4 part series about the battle of Britain and 1 of 4 very lucky guys getting the chance to fly the spit. I do have to say the end of part 4 one of the vets makes a statement that will bring a tear to your eye.

Spitfire/The First of the Few

If you've never been to the imperial war museum at Duxford, it's worth the trip.

I also found all sorts of other gems just waiting to be restored: Like a partial Zero.

I have been... and wanted to go last Jan. when I was in London researching my thesis. Alas, it was closed... re-decorating for the 100th anniversary of WW1. I went to Greenwich instead and saw the Longitude clocks and the Royal Navy museum. That was also spectacular. Also was in Portsmouth when the Illustrious came in and went by the Royal Marine Commandos museum. Pretty cool!

On my list is still the Tank museum at Bovington... Have not made it there.

Cheers,

Sirhr

In my opinion the Spit was and still is the most beautiful bird to take to the sky. Sleek, agile, fast, beautiful graceful lines all made for a lethal combination.

Certainly sir it is a beautiful bird but more beautiful than the flexed wing muscle of a Marine F4U Corsair? Please sir I beg to disagree but allow for beauty in the eye of the beholder.

Certainly sir it is a beautiful bird but more beautiful than the flexed wing muscle of a Marine F4U Corsair? Please sir I beg to disagree but allow for beauty in the eye of the beholder.

I will give you the beauty of the Corsair, especially the -4B/C and the -5 birds. But the Spit has a different beauty, more of a graceful sleek captivating killer rather than the brute strength of death coming your way.

I will give you the beauty of the Corsair, especially the -4B/C and the -5 birds. But the Spit has a different beauty, more of a graceful sleek captivating killer rather than the brute strength of death coming your way.

My kid went and got his Revell snap together Spit while I played the above video of the plane at rolling idle and with the low speed passes. The wing of that plane does give it that effete look but its still a killer in the typical British gentlemanly fashion. More of a David Niven James Bond than a Daniel Craig version.

I almost scored a Job giving rides in a Harvard/ T-6, however circumstances prevented me from doing it. The last year i was looking at buying one, and ended up buying a beech 18. gotta love High performance Tail wheel time. The first tail wheel airplane i ever soloed was an AG cat.

My dad was in the RCAF during WWII, stationed in England. He was a navigator in the C47... He met a RAF pilot and was able to sneak a ride in a two seater Spitfire. Needless to say it was something to behold and quite a bit more exciting than the Goony Bird C47.

The sound they make makes your hair stand on end. Every now and again they (along with the Lancaster usually) appear in the sky's around us. I was extremely fortunate to be directly under two of them doing a low level pass once.