• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

splatter paint effect?

ridgeline

Private
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2010
I am going to paint a synthetic stock one of these days. How do you get the splatter paint effect? Green with black splatter is what I'm going for, any ideas?

Re: splatter paint effect?

Perhaps I'm wrong here (I have no painting experience), but I think you're overthinking this.

Let's see, I have this can of paint here, and I want it to make it look like a paint splatter on my rifle... What if you just.. splattered the paint? I'm pretty sure that will look as close to a paint splatter as possible, considering that's exactly what it would be.

If your going to use an airbrush or touch-up gun, you can splatter any paint or color you want.
Turn the material flow up and the air flow down. Different distances create different size drops or splatters...

You can get a "splatter" effect by using a piece of furnace filter to sponge on the paint. The filter has long fibers and gives a good effect.

whootsinator, youre right I was overthinking it. It hit me this morning. thanks for the ideas guys the soda straw sounds interesting.

Numerous ways to do it, but id try the ways mentioned first. It all depends on what you are exactly looking for and what you'd be happy with.

I did a rifle in black and white, white with black splatter.

Spray paint into brush and stand back 5-6 ft, sling the brush at stock. Add more paint to brush as needed.

If I'm using the HVLP gun I remove the spray head and lower the pressure to get splatter. With the airbrush I place the tip against a clothes pin at an angle and let the paint splatter off the end.

If you are looking for the "webbing" type effect then you would be best off flinging paint off a brush or something similar. You can also try adding paint to a toothbrush and using a gloved finger to run over the bristles and splatter paint...try it first, you'll see what I mean.

Depending on the kind of paint you are using, I believe krylon makes a webbing spraypaint that is suppossed to give the same effect.

If you're looking for the webbing effect... instead of making a fuckin mess by slinging and splattering paint and shit...

Why not just buy a can of this shit... Paint... KISS....(shakin my head)

I have read that dipping a foam wheel in paint and running a drill motor does the job have not done it mind you and sounds messy but read thats how it done to do a spatter job.

1995 called, said to cease and desist with any splatter paint notion....

the krylon webbing works good.
comes in assorted colors.
you can buy at kraft supply stores(ask your wife) such as "Michaels", etc,.
or buy online, just google "webbing paints".
Black web over OD green works nice.
Black web over Tan or kaki looks good,
good luck and go for it.