• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Splicing Unity/TNVC Taps to a non Steiner/Mawl laser. It works

Pseudohero

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2018
Spliced a TNVC Taps to a Meprolght MOR sight to work with a surefire 600 v aa IR light. This gives me an all AA battery setup. Didn’t have the right size shrink wrap to finish it so more pictures later. The TAPS wire is smaller in diameter because it uses a coaxial type of design with one wire wrapped around another. I un weaved the outer wire and twisted it together. For the splice I will use the heat shrink end to end solder combo connectors with shrink wrap over the top and silicone on the ends for completely waterproof wiring. This is easy and requires minimal tools. I will do my PERST 2 next. It would be awesome if they offered TAPs with connector and a kit to solder the other devices (streamlight) since it it pretty obvious they aren't bringing any additional compatibility on line anytime soon.

Wire stripper and heat gun.

6B6FA5FB-E7E3-4F27-B86A-8D6D10B406D0.jpeg

53D8F622-457A-42C3-A1E2-C39F77539D08.jpeg

C907384E-5A96-48A3-8F32-0C1F801FCFA1.jpeg

Unity can't keep up with the demand of their current product line. I have thought about doing this myself, but I will let you be the guinea pig lol.

If I recall correctly the Perst family are three lead wires because of the rheostat on the remote switches.

Please post lots of pictures!!

If I recall correctly the Perst family are three lead wires because of the rheostat on the remote switches.

Please post lots of pictures!!

I wonder if you could just eliminate that third wire? Not that I plan on buying a perst laser, but I nerd out on this kinda stuff.

These are what got from amazon (chyyna). The connectors have solder inside the heat shrink tube. Last time I really used electrical connectors was more than a few years ago. They have come a long way.

625C9A8A-55A3-404B-9E91-91D55BA01AEB.jpeg

I wonder if you could just eliminate that third wire? Not that I plan on buying a perst laser, but I nerd out on this kinda stuff.

I believe the guy who did some surgery on his cables on ARFCOM ended up having to run two wires into a single lead as the third wire is a signal to the Perst indicating the rotation of the rheostat on the switch.

Unity can't keep up with the demand of their current product line. I have thought about doing this myself, but I will let you be the guinea pig lol.
Unity is the Tesla of the gun industry. Great innovative products plagued by production problems.

Reactions: aslrookie
Finished. The all in one solder adhesive connectors are pretty slick but i think for this application physical crimping with solder would be better to prevent the connectors from pulling apart when tugged. Feels pretty solid though. Will send pics on the rifle. Bought a ryobi heat gun for this. Worked well.
2C62E50F-2BBC-4DDC-BA94-893633A1D008.jpeg
C8EBD8A5-6719-433F-9692-3A1648F2859A.jpeg
521EB2DF-D992-4654-B5F1-36596DFB70BF.jpeg

Question about the connectors. Did you solder them with a soldering iron first, or is the solder low temperature enough to work off the heat gun?

I just did a little project where those could have made life much easier...

Thanks

You should buy a PERST. Awesome!!
Agree. I have a Perst 4 and it far out performs other lasers, both vis and IR. Only downside is the IR even on the lowest setting has a pretty big splash.

Badass project though. Not as electrically inclined as you are. Installing a smart wall switch is about my capacity.

Question about the connectors. Did you solder them with a soldering iron first, or is the solder low temperature enough to work off the heat gun?

I just did a little project where those could have made life much easier...

Thanks

the solder melts under the connectors and the red stuff is adhesive. Pretty slick