• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Split case. Why ?

BurtG

GOLDEN TICKET HOLDER
Supporter
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Nov 9, 2022
    Northeast
    F9E2D4E6-9D29-4668-93BE-0474A6E8E9EB.jpeg
    553D8697-351C-4518-AC50-71D95012C5BC.jpeg
    3B2062F2-683D-4A9C-8261-950F44684882.jpeg
    A5FC4B58-C529-4586-AEFA-E7CF9FB9D218.jpeg

I don’t know. I’ve seen that exact thing only once before, about ten years ago on a .308 case I found at the range.

Reactions: BurtG
    I’ve had that happen on a loose chamber when I was running it hotter than normal. Not powder charge but repeated shooting. It split 7 or 8 in a row. Lever action chasing cans. About an hour in.

Reactions: BurtG
    I had a batch of once fired lake city 223 brass do that to about 5% of the cases during fireforming to 223AI.

Every case that split like that was from one specific year, no other year cases failed. There were 3 different year headstamps in that batch. I figured the one year of brass with the failures was less ductile due to alloy composition or something happened to it during storage or processing at the supplier I bought it from, and it didn't like expanding during fireforming.

I switched to Lapua brass and fireformed 800 with zero case failures, and they're now on their 4th firing and getting ready for #5, so I'm pretty confident it was a brass issue and not a chamber issue.

Also, the same year headstamp LC brass that was splitting bodies during fireforming to 223AI started showing some neck splits on the second and third firings in a 223 bolt gun and AR, but no body splits in the straight 223s. The necks were bushing sized and not over worked and they were annealed every firing, which also points to a brass issue IMO.

Last edited:
    I don't use Hornady brass. Every time I see some odd brass failing here it's with Hornady brass, or it seems that way.... If you've shot a few hundred rounds and all of that brass measured out fine, then I'd say the chamber being the cause is very unlikely. Probably just a bunk case.

If you have a borescope take a look inside the case.