• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spoke with a gun flipper today

piglatinhater

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2012
Ever wonder what the guy, who is selling a DPMS sportical for $1500, says when you tell him stores have them in stock for under $800?

"I happen to be a minor gun enthusiast, but I'm a businessman first. I look for opportunities to acquire things in demand and offer them at a price that the market is willing to bear."

Awesome.

Ever wonder what the guy, who is selling a DPMS sportical for $1500, says when you tell him stores have them in stock for under $800?

"I happen to be a minor gun enthusiast, but I'm a businessman first. I look for opportunities to acquire things in demand and offer them at a price that the market is willing to bear."

Awesome.

How much should he be selling it for?

Its a free market no? If you don't like his price, go purchase it elsewhere for a price that you're willing to pay.

I would rather speak with the idiots still paying $1500 for a Sportical. Okay, I lied. This seller and people dumb enough to pay are perfect for each other. No sense in getting involved or trying to understand it.

I always wonder why this bothers people so much.
Free market. If a buyer and seller come to an agreement on price, then how is the price too high?
Dont like it? Dont participate. If you think Disneyland charges too much, then dont go. Doesnt mean that others that are willing to pay shouldnt go.

I always wonder why this bothers people so much.
Free market. If a buyer and seller come to an agreement on price, then how is the price too high?
Dont like it? Dont participate. If you think Disneyland charges too much, then dont go. Doesnt mean that others that are willing to pay shouldnt go.

Just like walking into riflegear and talking to a guy who just sold his jd machine lower for $450. Now that's a profit. I should have bought 20 before all the crap went down and sold them. Also remember that the people paying REALLY high prices are people who are not heavily into our sport and only want it because they heard it was going to be banned.

I think it bothers people because it's like a cross between price gouging and taking advantage of the ignorant. You don't trick the slow kid out of his lunch money.

It bothers some because they feel they are entitled to static prices. This is (partially) why we have so many industries heavily regulated by the .gov.

The guy who bought a $600 rifle and sold it for $1800 is smart for making a 300% profit. The guy buying the $1800 rifle is smart knowing that even though he waited too long, he still got the rifle before it was (potentially) too late. The actual fool is the 3rd guy asking "why does anyone need an AR-15?"

yea free market is free market...if you can flip a burger at 800% profit, you have to be and idiot not to do it...now as a shooter, im glad the whole thing is starting to die down...that is untill the next sandy hook.

night eagle

32307598.jpg

How much should he be selling it for?

My question is so profound, I am forced to quote myself because it has yet to be answered... :confused: OP, what is the the proper price the gentleman you reference should be asking for? How much profit is he entitled to, and how much is just obscene...?

Last edited:
if this minor gun enthusiast was not a FFL holder, then he is also committing a crime. buying and selling guns solely to make a profit is illegal, according to the letter of the law. just fyi.

Awesome.

Have him read the paragraph above block 16 and 17 where he signed the 4473. We had few ATF agents in the AO question gun flippers on them signing what they just signed during the week now at gun shows. Hard to prove but picking up that Sportical on Thursday and have it for sell at Saturdays gun show at twice what they paid.......

Awesome.

I like that the guy is brutally honest. No gamesmanship there. Just an honest businessman looking to sell something he has for a much as someone will buy it for... a fool and his money soon part ways. Why not be the one to take it?!

Honest question: Does the fact that he says, "I'm a minor gun enthusiast" cover the "for profit only" angle?

YEAH, WELL... I have an original (Interarms import) AUG with 11 mags and other "options" that I'll sell soon for $3,800. and I'm pretty sure I'll get it.

Went to a gun show here in 'Vegas a few months ago and was told one was sold there the previous day for $4,100. with only 5 mags. The dealer said I was asking a "very fair price" for mine.

YEAH, WELL... I have an original (Interarms import) AUG with 11 mags and other "options" that I'll sell soon for $3,800. and I'm pretty sure I'll get it.

Went to a gun show here in 'Vegas a few months ago and was told one was sold there the previous day for $4,100. with only 5 mags. The dealer said I was asking a "very fair price" for mine.

Funny you bring that up because years ago c. 1989, right around the original AWB, a friend and I were at the Raleigh Gun Show. We passed on a $500 original AUG. Went back 10 minutes later and it was gone. Stupid. A few weeks later, they were a couple of grand. It's been an inside joke between us for 25 years. "Did you pass up any $500 AUG's?"

Nice weapon. Yes, you will probably get that. You probably should ask more; negotiate down. And that is probably the market value. I still have mine... not the $500 one. Missed that. But AUG's are great pieces of kit. People said I was stupid for buying one for $1500. I probably was... or not.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I like that the guy is brutally honest. No gamesmanship there. Just an honest businessman looking to sell something he has for a much as someone will buy it for... a fool and his money soon part ways. Why not be the one to take it?!

Honest question: Does the fact that he says, "I'm a minor gun enthusiast" cover the "for profit only" angle?

Not according to the BATF. Purchasing a firearm for the purpose to resell for profit is direct violation unless you possess a FFL.

Rumor is BATF made contact. It started by a gun shop that sent their sent employees to their competitors to purchase ARs, as many available if not all they had, then resold those ARs in his own shop and at his booth at a gun show for huge profit. This issue was, the firearms were purchased by private individuals with the gun shop As cash and then resold in gun shop A on consignment, splitting the profit. Now good ole boy I'm a minor enthusiast sees the light, goes to gun shops B,C,D and buys ARs, goes to gun shop A making the deal for profit. What was not considered was the fact that many of the same good ole boys visit all the guns shops, sees employees from gun shop A buying ARs at gun shop B, C and D. When visiting gun shop A, good ole boys see the same ARs sitting on the shelf, and then asks questions. More good ole boys want that AR at shop B, C, D for $1000 but gun shop A employees were there first. Now good ole boys see that AR sitting in shop A for twice the price he saw it purchased for yesterday, then contacts BATF. Now BATF agents show up going through bound books.

Not according to the BATF. Purchasing a firearm for the purpose to resell for profit is direct violation unless you possess a FFL.

Correct, resale for profit is being a DEALER and you need a FFL to legally be a dealer.

What about people who bought for personal use -- without intent to circumvent the rules -- and, say a year or two later, now see an opportunity to double their money?

This information right from the ATF website

(21) The term "engaged in the business" means—
(A) as applied to a manufacturer of
firearms, a person who devotes time,
attention, and labor to manufacturing
firearms as a regular course of trade
or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through
the sale or distribution of the firearms
manufactured;
(B) as applied to a manufacturer of
ammunition, a person who devotes
time, attention, and labor to manufacturing ammunition as a regular
course of trade or business with the
principal objective of livelihood and
profit through the sale or distribution
of the ammunition manufactured;
(C) as applied to a dealer in firearms, as defined in section
921(a)(11)(A), a person who devotes
time, attention, and labor to dealing
in firearms as a regular course of
trade or business with the principal
objective of livelihood and profit
through the repetitive purchase and
resale of firearms, but such term
shall not include a person who
makes occasional sales, exchanges,
or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or
for a hobby, or who sells all or part of
his personal collection of firearms

As I have always understood it, you can buy and sell as many firearms as you want so long as it is not your primary source of income I currently don't have an FFL but I have had one many times over the last 30 years and have spoken to ATF agents regarding this issue and that is what I have been told . As a rule I wont sell any gun I buy at a gunshow at the same gunshow and If you only sell guns to advance a collection or in a hardship having to pay for an unexpected bill makes no difference if you are selling it for more than you paid for it

I say if you owned it and flipped it for massive profit at the right time, good for you.

If on the other hand you bought it for normal price during a panic with the intention of selling it for a massive profit you are then an unlicensed gun dealer and a scumbag.

I had a DPMS .308 I bought like 8 years ago for around $800. When the panic started guys were calling me practically begging me to sell it for crazy prices. So, I did and I now own a Sako TRG42 300wm instead. I feel pretty good about that move. I guess nobody was worried about bolt guns being banned.

I say if you owned it and flipped it for massive profit at the right time, good for you.

If on the other hand you bought it for normal price during a panic with the intention of selling it for a massive profit you are then an unlicensed gun dealer and a scumbag.
Oy :confused:

What's with the dismay, Smith? To me it's all about intent.

It's one thing to buy something thinking: "I'm interested in checking this out and if it doesn't work out I can always get my money or more back for it" or you bought it out of fear and decide two weeks later you can't afford it or don't want it or you realize the profit you can make is worth more to you than the firearm.

It's different in my mind to say to yourself: "Nobody can get this gun right now, I can make a ton of money by buying it and putting it on gunbroker". I know the line between the two is blurry and unprovable, but it exists and a person knows what's in their heart.

Mags, accessories, whatever is up to you. Guns on the other hand require a license to deal in and by buying with the sole intention of selling for a profit one is engaging in dealing. Without a license it's illegal. Pretty simple.

Whether or not the individual can be proven to be a dealer or not is up to someone else, but if it's in that person's heart then they're a scumbag in my opinion.

Rye,
I get you about the legality of the issue but what I don't get is the problem with a guy buying something to sell at a max profit, that's what the American economy is all about. I also don't think there is a problem legally with a guy buying a gun knowing he is going to sell it short term. The way the law reads it needs to be a primary source of income and repetitive etc. No one has a right to buy anything at any particular price. If I have the money to buy something and want to sell it for max profit that is called an investment and I look at it that way.

Whining about a guys profits sounds like a spoiled brat crying because they don't have cant afford or is not willing to pay for something that Billy the kid next door is, its very unbecoming. Hell there are all kinds of guns I want but am not willing to pay the current prices for, I was looking at a P90 6 months ago, you could get them all day long for $900-$1400, not any more and I am not willing to pay the $2500 that they are worth at the moment, that doesn't make the guys that did buy them knowing the prices would go up anything other than smart, in my capitalistic mind. :)

Awesome.

When he peddles it to a felon for "big money" I hope they arrest him and we can call him,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,inmate.

Awesome.

He better be careful or ATF will find their way to him.