• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Sponsorship and the Prize Table

Goattman

Stupid is NOT ok...
Minuteman
Back in March Lowlight posted about his solution to the prize table. I thought it was too old to dig up. Not too mention this isn’t directly, but closely related.

Full disclosure, I am a newer shooter. I have only been to a handful of matches. So take this for what it is worth. Maybe my inexperience gives a new view. Maybe it’s just shit. If it’s the latter, please ignore me instead of flaming me.

Lowlight’s was a thought provoking post. It had lots of replies with many, many different points of views represented. Sponsors, MD, shooters of all levels, etc. Lots of passion behind all of them.

One thing that stuck out to me was it seemed that sponsorship seemed to be tied to the prize table and giving product away. Either literally or with discounts. Either way, really seems like no one is happy with the situation.

Got me to thinking. Why does sponsorship need to be tied so closely to the prize table? What other ways could sponsorship be provided that would focus attention on the company who is behind said sponsorship?

I had a few ideas:
1: Sponsor a training day before or after a match. We all would like more time on the range actually shooting “real” stages. What if a company paid for the range time and provided instructors and ROs that taught you how to use their product better on an actual stage? Multiple stages in a day. A ballistics/environmental meter company teaching how to use their product to full potential. An optics company teaching milling UKD targets. An equipment company allowing you to try their bags to see how they are different and teach new ways to use. The list goes on.

2. Sponsor a stage and provide equipment to make a setup that would otherwise not be possible. Then tie their gear in by requiring it be used as provided by the sponsor.

3. Sponsorship of new venues. I’m in the North East and let’s face it, opportunities for PRS style shooting are limited. Anything that increased a local opportunity sure would be appreciated. THANK YOU to everyone who makes NE PRS possible!

It’s a short list. Looking for others to maybe throw in some other ideas. Or set me straight why mine aren’t so feasible.

I’m just wondering if there aren’t other ways to help everyone involved and grow the sport at the same time. Maybe the ROI isn’t there for this, or the interest.

Again, if after you read this your first thought is “What an idiot. That’s 90 seconds of my life I’ll never get back.” I apologize.

Constructive criticism and more ideas welcomed.

Reactions: Mordamer
2. Sponsor a stage and provide equipment to make a setup that would otherwise not be possible. Then tie their gear in by requiring it be used as provided by the sponsor.

This is done at some matches (e.g. RRS Sponsoring a Tripod stage and providing a tripod set up, or Armageddon gear sponsoring a stage and providing a variety of bags to be used in that stage) and can be a neat way to include sponsor exposure into a match. But it also works better for some products than others.

This isn't unheard of in 3 gun. Sometimes they bring cool toys for bonus side stages. Subguns, 40mm grenade launchers, 50bmg's etc.

I've taken home around $3k worth of prizes this summer from 4-6 bigger matches. While I appreciate it, it does little to entice me to buy the companies product, because at the end of the day, I'm going to run what I feel is the best gear, not what was given to me. I'd love to see the sponsor support used to improve/put on the match instead, and knock the entry fee down to the $150 or less range.

Unfortunately, there isn’t a very good solution overall. Frank has made very good points and given good solutions given the limitations this sport/game has.

The problem with any type sponsorship is for it to work, there must be a fairly significant return on investment. Typically this is accomplished through advertising to spectators (mostly with TV ads).

The problem we face is this isn’t a spectator sport. Unless something dramatic happens, there isn’t a way to make shooting exciting enough for people to watch.

Consider the action, optic, or mount you have currently. Did you purchase it because you saw it on a prize table or saw they sponsored a match? Or did you buy it because you read a review in a site like this, or someone you know/met showed it to you? The overwhelming answer will likely be the latter.

So, what do companies benefit more from, putting stuff on a prize table/sponsoring a match in any way/shape/form you can dream of? Or with brand ambassadors who believe in the product and talk it up as much as possible(think Rob01 and vortex optics)? Again, the answer will be the latter.

Frank’s idea for discount codes is like about the best suggestion for sponsoring matches unless someone can come up with a way that companies get more return on investment sponsoring a match over just having brand ambassadors out their hustling their products.

When it comes down too it, this is all about business and unless you can come up with something that significantly changes the ROI, you won’t be seeing any changes anytime soon.

I have been through this before with other games/sports and learned of it’s not spectator friendly, you better be ok doing it solely for the fun of it.

I agree 100% with your point about TV and ads. Thought of that after OP.

While Frank’s idea of certificates is one of the better, I still won’t use a certificate on a product if it isn’t for the brand of whatever that I want/need. Not to mention, some products are beyond my price point even with HUGE discounts.

The idea of ambassadors is a great one. It may expose me to product and/or features I was unaware of.

I feel PRS is past the “Dot Com Boom” period. Now there will be three basic groups:
1. PROS/Jersey Boys who get sponsorship and dump big money into the game and keep winning big. “The one percenters”.
2. The huge majority that compete actively at the club level and hit a few national events each year. “The majority”. This is where you would make money with sponsorship. However, we’ve spent our money already and don’t have the disposable income to buy more.
3. The occasional “run what you brung” crowd. Only a small percentage of these come back more than a few times to become “The Majority”.

I see sponsorship declining sharply as the ROI will no longer be there and these businesses realize they can’t afford the expenditure.

It costs us all the same to participate in an event. It costs quite a bit more to win (equipment, ammo, practice, family sacrifice, etc.).

We’re past the boom and settling in to a steady state.

“The new normal”

Ultimately, as a “Majority” shooter the sponsorship with the best ROI will lower the cost of participation on an event level and allow shooters to participate in more events.

Keep the steady state as high as possible allowing as many shooters as possible to shoot as often as possible. This will keep the markets the busiest in the long run.