• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sporter Accuracy

Scattergun2570

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2011
Is it possible to shoot groups under 1 inch at 100yds with a Sporter Bolt action? I like to walk and Hunt for Varmints,and I don`t want to carry a 10lb rig.

Re: Sporter Accuracy

My 7mm rem mag BDL, sporter profile shoots sub MOA with handloads.
I haven't shot groups with any OTS ammo, but my gun loves hornady 162 SST bullets in Win brass with H4831SC.

I would think that with decent and proper (bullet weight vs TR) ammo and a decent shooter any R700 in proper working order could group around 1 MOA. Kinda goin out on a limb there, but just a thought.

you should be good, man.

-edit
Try shooting a dot drill instead of groups with your hunting rig and some good ammo.

I've got some loads out of my 700 SPS (the standard version, not the tactical) that are sub-MOA, and my sons each have a Savage Axis in .270 that will shoot sub-MOA with handloads, even before I replaced the 8-pound factory triggers with Rifle Basix. We carry these rifles for miles when we hunt without problem, and the boys are only 13. The rifles even do fairly well when they get hot during load development work, but that will be something to consider - lighter profile barrels don't always handle heating very well.

If I have one that doesn't, I trade it for one that does. Not too hard to find these days.

I'd look at a Savage, Weatherby "sub MOA" Model, Kimber, Cooper rifles, or most custom shops. Also and I'm hearing great things about the Winchesters coming out of the factory in South Carolina, I've got a featherweight compact (going to be my daughters gun) in .22-250 I need to get some talley's for so I can see if it lives up to the hype.

My Weatherby Vanguard (Howa 1500) 30-06 shoots on average about 1 MOA, sometimes better, sometimes worse. I threw a Timney in there which really helped things out.

I would assume most sporters now a days should shoot about 1 MOA. I think Chad Dixon posted up pictures of some rifles he is building for another outfit that shot about as good as any varmint gun out there.

Go get a tikka, I think they are guaranteed to shoot better than 1MOA. Most shoot about 1/2 moa out of the box. Thats pretty darn good. I bought a brand new $500 Tikka t3 lite in 270 WSM and it was a pretty legit 1/2 MOA rifle.

What about TC's new venture rifle. They say sub moa outta the box. Never owned one just saw some commercials and the price is decent. On the flip side, I had a savage 7mag that shot consistency under moa with proper loads.162gr amax, I don't recall primer/powder charge but I got it written down in the book. I think wlot of factory guns will, but there are the few bad apples. Most of the bad apples can be fixed easy and cheap enough though too. As stated above, barrel heat effects a shorter quicker than a heavy barrel though.

I have a pair of Ruger MKI .280 Rem's; one a sporter and the other a relatively rare heavier barrelled varmint version. They both shoot around 1MOA with Hornady Custom and Superformance 139gr SST hunting loads.

I have come to hold Hornady factory ammunition in high regard lately. Although I handload for the .280 as well, I find it easy to conclude that with the Hornady stuff available, handloading makes little real sense; and especially so for hunting ammo.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JeffP40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If I have one that doesn't, I trade it for one that does. Not too hard to find these days. </div></div>

Exactly right, especially if you reload!!

Heck yeah, they can. My Sako L579 .22-250 shoots Winchester Varminter 45gr factory ammo into groups you can cover with a nickel. Same thing with the Federal 40gr stuff. Bought a Sako 75 Hunter in .25-06 last year. First load I tried gave .5-.8" groups and velocity desired. Load development done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go get a tikka, I think they are guaranteed to shoot better than 1MOA. Most shoot about 1/2 moa out of the box. Thats pretty darn good. I bought a brand new $500 Tikka t3 lite in 270 WSM and it was a pretty legit 1/2 MOA rifle. </div></div>

Agree on all accounts. My 6.5x55 stays under an inch and my buddies 270 WSM will shoot 1/2 inch. Accurate lightweight rifles that are also priced right.

I have a factory rem700 7mm-08 that I dropped into an HS precision stock. Shoots 0.65" average with typical reloads.