• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Spots on the ocular lens of my Nightforce. Solved with wet cleaning.

Jefe's Dope

Red Forman
Minuteman
  • Dec 20, 2017
    SOLVED. Just needed a bit of water to moisten and remove. :geek:

Was cleaning the lenses on my NX8 today and found these 'spots' on the ocular lens. I tried removing them withe my lens pen which didn't work. I then tried using my fingernail and I cannot feel the 'spot' as if it's on the inside. At that point I just finished with the lens pen and took some pics to ask here.

You can see the 'spot' very well with the naked eye. The camera doesn't pick them up as well. They move when you move the scope, so they are not reflections. They are varied in size and found randomly around the entire lens.

IMG_1028.jpeg

This photo is identical to above except I've circled some, not all, of the spots. They are extremely 'round' as well. Not misshapen.

IMG_1028.jpeg

Last edited:
    Was cleaning the lenses on my NX8 today and found these 'spots' on the ocular lens. I tried removing them withe my lens pen which didn't work. I then tried using my fingernail and I cannot feel the 'spot' as if it's on the inside. At that point I just finished with the lens pen and took some pics to ask here.

You can see the 'spot' very well with the naked eye. The camera doesn't pick them up as well. They move when you move the scope, so they are not reflections. They are varied in size and found randomly around the entire lens.

View attachment 7310245

This photo is identical to above except I've circled some, not all, of the spots. They are extremely 'round' as well. Not misshapen.

View attachment 7310251
    I usually just use a lens brush. If that doesn't do it, then I use the pen end. If that doesn't do it, an alcohol laden Zeiss lens cleaning cloth pad, followed by the pen. If that doesn't do it and it's bothering you enough, call Nightforce, send it back and have them take care of it.

I vote that you try a moist lens cleaner, or even water.

If that doesn't work, and you still can't get past them, just call NF.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
    A wet lens cloth did the trick. I was concerned because I couldn't feel it with my fingernail. :geek:

Thanks for the fast replies.

I usually just use a lens brush. If that doesn't do it, then I use the pen end. If that doesn't do it, an alcohol laden Zeiss lens cleaning cloth pad, followed by the pen. If that doesn't do it and it's bothering you enough, call Nightforce, send it back and have them take care of it.
    Did you try lens fluid on a cloth?
    Did you shine a light through the scope to see if it is inside or on the surface?
    I vote that you try a moist lens cleaner, or even water.

If that doesn't work, and you still can't get past them, just call NF.

A wet lens cloth did the trick. I was concerned because I couldn't feel it with my fingernail. :geek:

Thanks for the fast replies.
    Cool (y)

(Oh, BTW, I've always heard to NOT use (alcohol moistened) Q-Tips as they are "abrasive". Of the few times I ever did use them before getting that advice, I didn't see any issues. But, those Zeiss cloths work well when the nice soft brush doesn't. @gr8fuldoug, you're the expert......your thoughts/advice ?)

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
    If they are not affecting your image, leave em alone. You’d be amazed how jacked up your front element needs to be to degrade your image quality.

Reactions: psychosniper
    Cool (y)

(Oh, BTW, I've always heard to NOT use (alcohol moistened) Q-Tips as they are "abrasive". Of the few times I ever did use them before getting that advice, I didn't see any issues. But, those Zeiss cloths work well when the nice soft brush doesn't. @gr8fuldoug, you're the expert......your thoughts/advice ?)
    1st use a lens brush to clean off any foreign particles, then put lens liquid onto a lens cloth (never directly onto the optic) and wipe gently.

First thing I’ll always do is use a little hand held air blower that comes in camera lens cleaning kits to gently remove loose debris and larger particles.

Second, I’ll use a lens brush to remove what debris will brush away.

Third, I’ll take a shot glass worth of distilled water and dip Pure Cotton Q-Tips (do not use synthetic Q-Tips as they are abrasive) into the water, remove excess water from the tip by lightly rolling it on a tissue. I’ll then take the Q-Tip, using light pressure in a tight, circular motion starting from the center and working my way out to the edge clockwise in a circular pattern (similar to the way the lenses are polished) while simultaneously rotating the Q-Tip to provide fresh cotton to pick up debris. After one pass with each side of the Q-Tip, I will discard and get a fresh Q-Tip. I will do this until the Q-Tip comes back clean after a complete pass (Normally 3-4 times with distilled water depending how dirty).

I’ll finish by using the same method but with dry Q-Tips before the distilled water has had a chance to dry.

This has been the most effective way for me over the years on any piece of glass I clean. I use this method on anything from my SWFA SS 10x to Minox ZP5’s and Steiner M7Xi’s with fantastic results. I have yet to see any spots/stains left behind and the glass always comes out looking like it did the day I pulled it from the box.

Reactions: Tono
    If it's really gunked up, what's the harm in taking the scope off the rifle and pouring distilled water on the lenses to try to agitate the dirt loose?

Then you could let it dry, use a lens pen brush and finish with optics cleaner on a microfiber cloth.