• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Spotting scope...Angled or straight?

Why, I'm just curious

Well, in my minimal experience, I get image clarity issues with angles to mirrors and how light refracts. For example, my daughter uses my DSLR for pictures in her telescope. When she uses the straight adapter, the pictures are so crystal clear its amazing, but when we look through the angled port that relies on a mirror to reflect the image, it's never quiets as crisp.

I don't know how angled scopes are built, I was only assuming that mirrors were used. If not, then maybe it doesn't matter. But I do know that I have taken pics trough the Leupold spotter and a USO spotter and the USO pictures were crisper.

I'm very interested in the new Bushnell for this very reason.

If you are shooting with a partner spotting for you straight is best.

If you shoot alone angled allows you to take a peek at your target without losing NPA/or breaking down your position.

For hunting/fast acquisition straight is easier. If you want a reticle there will be more choices in the straight line of scopes.

I primarily shoot alone and got an angled. Laying in the prone or seated at a bench a slight turn of my head allows me to get on the eyepiece and see the shot result. If I was spotting or gazing for targets/animals I would want to get a straight scope.

straight

(angled is for good for setting up on a non moving target - such as f-class- for a fair amount of time)

Getting on target is more natural with a straight eyepiece but, I like looking through an angled eyepiece when spotting over a longer period of time. I had one of the Bushy mildot excursions and now have an angled Razor HD.

Quality of the scope aside, I like the angled Razor better.

Also, if you'd like to transition between targets quickly, an attachment like the Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Action Ballhead, really speeds things up.

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to the range this week and hopefully there will be some shooters with different scopes. I'm in the $800-$1000 price range, and looking at the Vortex Razor HD or the Leupold Kenai. I wish I could find a spotting scope in this price range with a reticle.
Regards

straight for short periods of time.
angled if you are going to be there a while.

and you wont be disappointed if you decide to go vortex.

I went angled for shooting. Has worked out great. I have looked through a Vortex and was pleasantly suprised at the image. I have an older Swarovski and people still coment on how nice and bright the image is. Best of luck, J

straight for short periods of time.
angled if you are going to be there a while.

and you wont be disappointed if you decide to go vortex.

Funny...We're 180 degrees out.

While I agree angled can be better when shooting prone by yourself and looking thru the spotter just by turning your head is convenient and comfortable for the quick glance down range. For extended viewing such as spotting for a match, a straight spotter allows me to sit or stand comfortably while looking straight ahead. Stand up and stare down at your shoes for about 30min, my neck starts killing me!

One thing we do agree on is the Vortex Razor!

Funny...We're 180 degrees out.

While I agree angled can be better when shooting prone by yourself and looking thru the spotter just by turning your head is convenient and comfortable for the quick glance down range. For extended viewing such as spotting for a match, a straight spotter allows me to sit or stand comfortably while looking straight ahead. Stand up and stare down at your shoes for about 30min, my neck starts killing me!

One thing we do agree on is the Vortex Razor!

Yeah i guess its all preference. I find it easy to get on target with a straight but when i am laying down with a short tripod i find angled easier on my neck. For the original poster i would say just get somewhere where you can look at a bunch side by side and go from there.

If you go angled make sure you get one with a mount ring that turns to allow you to rotate the scope body. If the eyepeice is only accesible from the top (0 degrees) that is useless for use for trying to maintain your shooting position.

I have an angled Kowa and I rotate the body so the eyepiece is at 90 degrees. I dont look down into the scope. I turn my head and look straight through.

If you are using it for range work where you set it up and forget about it, I would say straight as the orientation of your face to the ocular will be the same as if you are using the scope on your rifle. I use mine mostly for wildlife viewing and prefer angled for that purpose as you can look over the top of your scope and orient it towards your target as you keep your eye on it.

Angled for me. I turn the tube in the mount so the eyepiece points to the right side. The way I set it up is perfect for me as I can just turn my head and look through the eyepiece w/o having to move my shoulders/body. As mentioned before.

Last edited:
If you go angled make sure you get one with a mount ring that turns to allow you to rotate the scope body. If the eyepeice is only accesible from the top (0 degrees) that is useless for use for trying to maintain your shooting position.

I have an angled Kowa and I rotate the body so the eyepiece is at 90 degrees. I dont look down into the scope. I turn my head and look straight through.

This.
It is possible to use it seated by rotating the angled eyepiece to flat and turning your chair a little (in a pinch).

Joe

Straight. For the same reason some others have posted - easier to get on target. But, you can have a shorter tripod with an angled spotter. Food for thought.

If you are shooting with a partner spotting for you straight is best.

If you shoot alone angled allows you to take a peek at your target without losing NPA/or breaking down your position.

For hunting/fast acquisition straight is easier. If you want a reticle there will be more choices in the straight line of scopes.

I primarily shoot alone and got an angled. Laying in the prone or seated at a bench a slight turn of my head allows me to get on the eyepiece and see the shot result. If I was spotting or gazing for targets/animals I would want to get a straight scope.

I agree, if you shoot alone get the angled. If not get the straight.
I was in the same boat and decided on the angled. I am happy with it!

IF you are using it mainly in a more tactical setting , rather than a F-Class shoot , I would reccomend a straight Spotter , as you get on tgts quicker , I would also , want a 15x or lower bottom end power , so you can use quick & not need a red dot as a mini spotter to align your Spotter .
My Zeiss Spotter60 has TOO much on the bottom end ( 20x ) and is not as quick as i would have liked .

Later Chris

Angled for sure especially for long term use.Straight is good for photography